My First Half Marathon - With Photos!

Options
cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
After my first 10k last September, I was pumped up and eager to find another race to try. I signed up for the Eugene Half Marathon, which was seven months down the road on May 1st. I figured that should be enough time to train. I bought the Jeff Galloway book and was run/walking with the best of them, increasing my long runs by a mile every two weeks.

Then, I got cocky a couple months ago and ran the whole 13.1 on the treadmill, jumping up from my previous long run of 9 miles. It turns out that wasn't such a great idea after all, as I found myself unable to walk the next day. I figured it was no big deal, and in a week I'd be back to normal. Weeks later, I was still unable to run without considerable pain. After seeing an orthopedist (which was not very helpful) and much research on my own, I was certain that I was suffering from ITBS.

I hadn't ran in like a month, and I only had a few weeks to go before my half marathon. After reading that weak glutes could be to blame, I started doing leg lifts, and some other glute strengthening exercises. I also started running again, 4mi twice a week, and 6mi on the weekend. I modified my gait so that I wasn't flexing my knee as much, and landing with my foot more under my center of gravity and springing off more. My hamstrings really hated me for that. After every run, I would ice my legs, pop a couple Advil, and roll my IT bands with a foam roller.

All that leads up to this past weekend. I had long since given up on getting a decent time, and was in survival mode at this point. I just wanted to finish. The race started at 7:00 am and it was freezing! It was 32 degrees outside at the start. Luckily it warmed up a bit by the end. I planned on taking a one-minute walk break at the start of every mile. I soon realized that my Polar FT-60 and S1 Footpod were severely overestimating both my mileage and my pace (I've since calibrated it). If that wasn't enough, I found myself needing to use the porta-potty's not once, but three times during the race. My pace at the 10k split was 11:26 ... nowhere near the 10 minute mile pace I was hoping for. At the nine mile mark, I decided to just go for it. I gave up on the walking breaks and set out to pass as many people as possible before I came to the finish line.

When I hit the 12 mile marker, I just started running flat out. I gave it everything I had. As I came down home stretch, my iPhone randomly decided it would be a good time to play the theme song from Rocky ... "Gonna Fly Now". I'm not big on fate ... but this was pretty darn motivational. As I entered the track at Hayward Field, the crowd was cheering, the announcer was announcing stuff ... It all felt very surreal. Then again, that could have been enhanced by a lack of oxygen to the brain or something, as I ran with all my might to the finish line.

I managed to finish a mere 2:20:01 after leaving the starting line. My overall placement has been updated since I got my printout after the race. Last I checked, I had finished in 2,298th place! :drinker:

The funny thing was, the guy that won the full marathon did it in about 2-3 minutes longer than it took me to run the half marathon. But since he was in corral A at the start of the race, and I was in corral B, he actually left the starting line a couple minutes before I did. What that means, is that we essential crossed the finish line at the same time, a fact I was oblivious to until I saw the picture of the guy crossing the finish line on the website of the local newspaper, and then saw a blurry version of myself right behind him in the next lane. So uh ... It turns out all that cheering and announcing and whatnot was probably for that guy. :tongue:

The entire event was a blast, though I'm still recovering from it. The knee / IT Band isn't bothering me at all, which is great. The quads are still sore, and I've been more tired than normal this week, but I'm sure I'll be back to the grindstone by next week. And that's a good thing because I'll admit, these last 6 weeks or so of self-rehab and struggling to figure out the limits of what I can do have led me to neglect my calorie intake somewhat and MFP in general. I'm sure my scale weight is higher than my ticker weight, but I'm hoping in a week or two that will normalize.

Three weeks ago I vowed that if I could just get through this ... I'd never have to run again. Today, I found myself online looking for upcoming races in my area! :laugh:

223346_10150188473473846_508973845_6951064_4944329_n.jpg
222888_10150187471893846_508973845_6940163_4651685_n.jpg
84129-2091-022f_modified.jpg
84129-2323-008f_modified.jpg
84129-1187-004f_modified.jpg
84129-586-016f_modified.jpg

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhh brilliant. WELL DONE!!
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    I though you were the one in the orange shirt??!!... ahhhhaaaa... just kidding

congrats to you..
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    LOVE the second last photo! All the effort you put in shows in that one.
    Good work on the half marathon!
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    congratulations superb!!!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Well done, love that you got your pic in the local rag!
  • CarliBez
    CarliBez Posts: 19
    Options
    Congrats! You've just made me excited, I am doing my first half-marathon in July. Your time is great, especially after an injury xx
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    Great job!
  • kellytime
    kellytime Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is so great! Love the pics.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    From one runner to another... WELL DONE!!!
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Well done , thats a great achievement.

Loved the pics bTW
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Congrats!!!!!!
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    wow what an inspiration you are , i can never imagine myself doing anything like that , big well done and congrats you are proof that if you really are determind you can achieve anything , big thank you to you !!! love the pics to :)
  • mommy_v
    mommy_v Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    WOW way to go something to be very proud of and remember forever!!!! Amazing work :)
  • Mariposa7
    Mariposa7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Thanks for sharing, not only was your post inspiring...it was so well written!! :drinker:
    Keep up the great work!
  • SSWilkins
    SSWilkins Posts: 1
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Wnderful story. I am so looking forward to my first half marathon!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And you're right, doesn't matter how much you suffer and you swear at yourself during the race, a few days later you can't wait to do it again. :laugh:

Same thing happen to me last year after my first triathlon. Towards the end I was questioning myself why the hell was I doing this, was totally dead after the race....couple days later, I couldn't wait to do the next one. :drinker:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    That has got to be an awesome feeling!!
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    Awesome job! Way to go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!