I could cry I'm so happy...NSV

Options
I'm a type I diabetic (have been for 15 years).
I ran my first half marathon in November and am now training for a full.

I just got results for my lab work and my visit summary from my endocrinologist and she described me as "Type I diabetic, in control without complications"...and my A1c (3 month average blood glucose) is 6.2% (really freaking good for someone who has had diabetes as long as I have).
I'm ecstatic and almost ready to cry in my office.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Niiiiiiiice!!! THAT is what a lifestyle change is all about! I mean, the marathons are fantastic, but you are truly the picture of success seeing as how you've taken control of your own health and future. Keep it up!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I don't know what your numbers were before, but they sure look good now. Well done. B)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    :blush:
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • glarnell
    glarnell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely celebration-worthy. Well done!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! and THAT is why we do this. :) Great job
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    yay!!!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That is truly awesome! Good for you for taking control of your situation and making the best of what you've got! To have your BS under control is huge. I know, because my husband is diabetic also. I believe nothing keeps him under control better than exercise!
    Keep up the good work - you are an inspiration to many!
  • Eserra0510
    Eserra0510 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984, that is wonderful news! I have those kinds of results with my type II diabetes with 5.7 A1c's for almost two years due to considerable weight loss but that is more easily controlled than type I for sure---almost two different diseases! Keep up the good work!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    awesome this is one of the best NSV's I have heard
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I am just so happy. I was struggling a lot with swings (highs and lows) when I ramped up my running...so I'm glad it hasn't affected my average negatively. I also got a new doc who is really supportive of my fitness/workout efforts and is very involved in my training plan.

It's such a relief to know it's working!
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh that's such an accomplishment!!! i wish my A1C would go down!! :):) I'm so happy for you!! You're an inspiration!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Way to go!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Eserra0510 wrote: »
    MSeel1984, that is wonderful news! I have those kinds of results with my type II diabetes with 5.7 A1c's for almost two years due to considerable weight loss but that is more easily controlled than type I for sure---almost two different diseases! Keep up the good work!

Go you! That's in the non diabetic range! Such an awesome feeling! It makes you feel like you have a say in the progression of the disease...encouraging for sure.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Gratz for all the hard work and achievement.
  • jamesleesmith
    jamesleesmith Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great news!!!! That's awesome
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That is great!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations! My dad is diabetic too. He's so ready for summer so he can start running again (he refuses to go to a gym) because he is on insulin and really wants to get off of it! I will have to read your post to him to show him it is possible! :) Thank you for sharing your story!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations! My dad is diabetic too. He's so ready for summer so he can start running again (he refuses to go to a gym) because he is on insulin and really wants to get off of it! I will have to read your post to him to show him it is possible! :) Thank you for sharing your story!

I gotta agree with him about the running. I'm running tomorrow and it's supposed to be miserably cold (low teens at best)...I hate treadmills. But I guess they're a necessary evil. :(