macro ratios a issue at 249lb?

Options
2»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No, dont worry about the macros, first ensure you get the deficit/ calorie targets.

there are some easier tragets for protein and fibre, but everything else pretty much takes care of itself unless you are going low carb or have some other slant on your diet.
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    Yea eggs, chicken and greek yougurt were my main big protein sources, but i found more chicken then the others helped me keep withing my calories. But upping my calories may make it a whole lot easier!
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Many people lose weight without ever thinking about macros. However, many people also find that if they make sure they are eating enough protein and do a solid strength training program early in their journey they not only look and feel more fit when they reach their goal weight, but find maintaining that weight easier. That is something you will hear over and over again on these forums.

There is no magic recipe and you should do what you want, but my personal advice is (1) eat more calories than you are eating right now (2) eat enough protein and (3) start lifting immediately. I say this because it's what helped me, and many others. I realize it's not the only way to be successful.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You're 28, male, 249 lbs, have a physically intensive job and have 40 pounds to lose. I'm guessing you're over 6' tall. You can definitely eat more and still lose at a good rate, assuming you're tracking accurately. Why eat more instead of less? Look up metabolic adaptation. You want to maximize your body's metabolism to burn fuel (food) not adapt to a calorie level that is too low.

Regarding macros, I didn't worry about them initially. Eventually you will based on your goals, especially protein for muscle preservation.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    A lot of people insist on eating significantly higher calories based on how heavy you are at the time.
    However heavy you are (with variation for extreme height differences) doesn't mean you get to eat weight gain for weight loss.
    If you are sedentary don't go over 1650 (which for most will give a small gradual weight loss but no weight gain) calories a day.
    Forced high calories tend to leave bad habits. This at your weight thing is unlikely thing.
    Probably a good idea to always reach that 1000 calorie mark but if you just aren't hungry don't fret over being too low OCCASIONALLY.
    Just don't repeat too often for health reasons.
    1900-2000 calories shouldn't go over if you are lightly active and just flat 2000 if more so weight gain wise. How much you move affects your weight loss. Lightly active is an hour of light exercise per day be it a walk, bike or treadmill.
    Log everyday and don't eat back exercise calories. My fitness pal tends to tell you when you eat too little. It really works.
    Oh one more note sudden weight gain of about 3 kilos is common due to a little extra time the body takes to process something such as soft-drink or other salty things. If you haven't been eating it you'll have drops about that size occasionally. Time is a very simple thing that passes anyway. If you don't go over you aren't gaining weight.
    Chill log it all every day be it a mouthful or a tub of food.
    Don't lie to the logger and you will lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just focus on calories ...absolutely eat back exercise calories (50-75% of MFP database is a good guideline)

And start weight training now

You can start to think about macros when your objectives change
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    A lot of people insist on eating significantly higher calories based on how heavy you are at the time.
    However heavy you are (with variation for extreme height differences) doesn't mean you get to eat weight gain for weight loss.
    If you are sedentary don't go over 1650 (which for most will give a small gradual weight loss but no weight gain) calories a day.
    Forced high calories tend to leave bad habits. This at your weight thing is unlikely thing.
    Probably a good idea to always reach that 1000 calorie mark but if you just aren't hungry don't fret over being too low OCCASIONALLY.
    Just don't repeat too often for health reasons.
    1900-2000 calories shouldn't go over if you are lightly active and just flat 2000 if more so weight gain wise. How much you move affects your weight loss. Lightly active is an hour of light exercise per day be it a walk, bike or treadmill.
    Log everyday and don't eat back exercise calories. My fitness pal tends to tell you when you eat too little. It really works.
    Oh one more note sudden weight gain of about 3 kilos is common due to a little extra time the body takes to process something such as soft-drink or other salty things. If you haven't been eating it you'll have drops about that size occasionally. Time is a very simple thing that passes anyway. If you don't go over you aren't gaining weight.
    Chill log it all every day be it a mouthful or a tub of food.
    Don't lie to the logger and you will lose weight.

So wrong on so many levels on so many points.

It's as if you didn't even read ANY stats of the one whom you are giving very generic advice to.

Might want to get beyond the business card health and nutrition advice you got from a trainer at the gym.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm at 275 lbs myself and while I don't kill myself over macros, I do track them. When I want a snack, I can look at my macros and see where I am lacking (almost always protein), but it's also teaching me to eat right. I could just restrict calories and lose weight but I also want to learn to eat a good mix of foods.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    All these 40 40 30 and what not macros that get thrown around are just generic numbers that people like to throw around without really looking at the individual. Grams always, always, always over ratios.

Protein - .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight
    Fat - .4-.45g per lb of bodyweight. Honestly though at your weight even .35g is pretty reasonable.
    The distribute the rest as desired but don't scrimp on Carbs. The are not the devil.

At your size you could easily eat 2000 calories and lose weight at a good rate. Go to low on calories and you could find yourself having a tough time getting in the proper macros.

Start here with a more reasonable deficit for what you got left to lose.
    And since you merely need to eat less than you burn, inform MFP when you do exercise - it's assuming no exercise until you do it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yea eggs, chicken and greek yougurt were my main big protein sources, but i found more chicken then the others helped me keep withing my calories. But upping my calories may make it a whole lot easier!

For all that is good and holy, eat some pork chops, ham, small steaks, salmon a few times a week.
    They are just as fast and easy to cook as chicken and only a few more calories. Make room in your day for those foods by cutting out out a few carbs here and there.
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    I do eat other things ad well but those are my main protein sources... had pork chops earlier the week and shrimp tacos with mango salsa last night, delicious! No worries, I love my food, lol.
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who contributed. You've been a great help.