Really need motivating please

Options
Hi so my names shelly and I'm 26 years old, 231lbs..... And 5ft 2in, depresses me just thinking bout it, I have absolutely no motivation or self control and thats my problem, I always start of well but just end up falling bck into my bad ways, I just don't know wat to do anymore I've tried so much and just can't seem to stick to it! I'm so angry at myself for it! I really need some friendly help and advice. I hate myself for letting myself get like this!

Replies

• trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Letting go of the hate is the first step. Lots of people struggle with this stuff, Shelly. It's not a unique failing or a condemnation of your character. I don't know if this is your experience, but often when I would have those false starts I would try to do everything as perfect as I could--then when I'd mess up even a little everything would go off the rails totally.

I still have a long way to go, but I've been eating really well now as a lifestyle since August and I feel pretty great. I've just focused on cooking my own food, shopping the perimeter of the grocery store and practicing mindful eating. I still eat things I like and still go over my calorie limits some days, but I've gotten to a place mentally where I'm okay with that. The point is bringing my average calorie intake down, not trying to make every day perfect, you know?
  • eric335
    Options
    Don't set your goals to high, take it one day at a time, each change you make , makes an impact on your lifestyle , remember don't focus on changing your weight, focus on changing your lifestyle and diet, and the weight will drop itself.
  • shellyalmond
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, it really means a lot to hear stuff like that do honestly thank you! I've spent a lot of my life being told that I can't do things so now I feel it's time to prove them all wrong!!!!
  • roady29
    roady29 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Shelly, baby steps. change one habit at a time. i myself have the same journey, i started by quitting smoking over a yr ago, then started with exercise (was good for about 6mths then life got in the way! ) now i am back on the wagon..you can do it!!
  • loujen1
    loujen1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi so my names shelly and I'm 26 years old, 231lbs..... And 5ft 2in, depresses me just thinking bout it, I have absolutely no motivation or self control and thats my problem, I always start of well but just end up falling bck into my bad ways, I just don't know wat to do anymore I've tried so much and just can't seem to stick to it! I'm so angry at myself for it! I really need some friendly help and advice. I hate myself for letting myself get like this!

Slow down Shelly, stop beating yourself up, what is done is done and today is a brand new day, you're already off to a great start which is a new beginning for you, you've taken the first step by evaluating your present status and that's a good thing !
    Now what are you going to do about it?
    Take this one day at a time, just for today, think about how you got here to this point and begin there by making little changes, think about what you can cut out, maybe it's soda or sweets or maybe fried foods or too large portions, you can do this one day at a time, keep logging in on MFP and never quit!
  • shellyalmond
    Options
    I'm determined to stay on track this time, I have a real problem with crisps and bread and know I eat way too much of it, so that shall b my starting point to cut down on them!
  • srrosenbalm
    srrosenbalm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One thing at a time Shelly. :) Focus on smaller goals, and work your way up. I know from personal experience that it's a lot more tempting to just give up than push through. But YOU can do this. And starting out with smaller accomplishments allow you to feel better about your self, and gain the confidence to continue. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • shoefairy13
    Options
    You're far more likely to make changes and stick to them if you set yourself little goals, one per week, and then add a new goal per week.
    For example, I set myself the goal of averaging 100 more steps per day than I used to do this week. Then next week, I will keep doing the extra steps but also add the goal of eating at least one extra fruit or veg portion a day.
    Good luck. You can do it. Also, remember everyone has bad days and just because you binge one day (almost everyone does) it doesn't mean you're not going to succeed.