Critique my food diary?...And. Book recommendations?

Options
leahszrk
leahszrk Posts: 23
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I understand everyone has different opinions about eating techniques, but if you were to critique my eating habits so far this week, what would you suggest.
Anything to add?
Subtract?

***Also:
Some newbie nutrition 101 books you would suggest? I love learning everything/multiple techniques and "plans".

Things about me to consider:
*I am starting a daily 30 minute treadmill routine today.
*My ideal weight is 160ish...I am now 216 (lost almost 8 pounds this week!)
*I want some long-termed, keep-it-off food advice.
*My future self would be squatting allllldaylong! (It's about time hips and booties get love!) but first I have to heal my core from back-to-back babies!
*I like to make my own food and won't do premade drinks/meals, etc with the exception of protein powders

Thank you in advance! I don't have a mentor around here yet! :p

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You need to eat closer to your goal.

Use the USDA food entries in the database, those are more accurate.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    At least it seems like you're logging everything... My advice, though, would be to WEIGH everything solid (including salsa's and condiments) in GRAMS. Weighing in ounces can be inaccurate alot of the time. Weighing in grams will get you a pretty solidly accurate food log. The only thing you should weigh in ounces and/or cups is liquids (like I said, this does not include things like condiments or peanut butter, etc...)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    The first thing I have noticed is that you're apparently not using a food scale. You need to be weighing any food that you can. You'd be surprised at the entries listed for an apple. One small apple listed as something like 50 calories when in reality your apple weighed 130 grams and is more like 120 calories. (That's not what they are - I'm just pulling numbers out of the air for example)

But you get the idea. Get a food scale. Weigh food. It makes an enormous difference.
  • Evotchka
    Evotchka Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely make sure you eat at least 1200 cals a day. Just have a handful of almonds with blueberries and an apple, there ya got 200 more healthy calories :) But I am so not an expert btw.

Also, I can recommend anything that Jillian Michaels has written!!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Try to get closer to your calorie goal. The aim is to meet it every day, not be as far under it as you can.

Also, as others have said, for more accuracy it's best to weigh all solid foods with a digital food scale.

Other than that, you have the right idea with the types of food you're eating. Think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet, and you'll be fine. Make rooms for treats too, as depriving yourself completely can end up being a bad thing in the end.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    The first thing I have noticed is that you're apparently not using a food scale. You need to be weighing any food that you can. You'd be surprised at the entries listed for an apple. One small apple listed as something like 50 calories when in reality your apple weighed 130 grams and is more like 120 calories. (That's not what they are - I'm just pulling numbers out of the air for example)

But you get the idea. Get a food scale. Weigh food. It makes an enormous difference.

Exactly... The use of a *digital* food scale was one of my biggest wake up calls. What I thought was 2 tbsp of PB was actually closer to 4. After that, I was convinced that you can't accurately log food without a food scale.
  • leahszrk
    Options
    Thanks guys! I knew I had more to learn!
    -Food scale shopping on Amazon.
    -Going to eat an extra snack after dinner.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The fact that you are eating minimally processed food (you cook for yourself and it looks super yummy too!) is a huge advantage. Loading up on the veg will give you more bang for your calorie buck any day. :smile:
    I agree weighing your food instead of using measuring spoons/cups will ensure better accuracy but if you are just starting out and don't want to get crazy obsessed with things right off the bat I would say that you are doing great as is :smiley: - small steps, small changes they all lead to big things in the end. We don't need to jump to move forward in a positive way.

Salad Samurai is a beautiful book that has some great ideas for fancying up a sometimes boring meal (salad) I just got it and am very impressed with what I have tried so far.
  • Evotchka
    Evotchka Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Also congrats on the 8 lbs lost! That's awesome!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't find nutrition-specific books as motivating or helpful as weight loss memoirs--even when they deal with issues that I don't necessarily connect to on the surface (weight loss surgery or being 600lbs), they provide me with an "I can do this too" attitude.
    • Half-Assed by Jeanette Fulda
    • Moose by Stephanie Klein
    • 703 by Nancy Makin
    • Stranger Here by Jen Larsen
    Just to name a few...others can be hit or miss, but I feel like I always learn something from anyone else's journey.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    - eat back at least half your exercise calories
    - try to eat as close to your goal as possible... Sounds counter productive but it helps prevent binging because you're too deprived
    - weigh everything and use gram entries... not volume unless it's liquids
    - for grains and beans, weigh dry when possible, a lot of the cooked entries are totally wrong (even MFPs)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Tuesday - I see 4 oz fish, 4 eggs, a tablespoon of almonds, and a whole lot of vegetables. Nothing wrong with eating a lot of vegetables, but where's the rest of the food? Protein is looking a little low, but if your only exercise is walking I suppose you don't need a whole lot more. Also, 1200 calories is pretty low.

Wednesday - I'm happy to see more variation on this day with fruit and beans. Still didn't eat enough, and protein is still low.

Thursday - Nearly identical to Wednesday, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Same comments apply.

Friday - I assume you haven't finished logging for the day yet, but I like what's logged for lunch and I see you've already got more protein in than the previous days. Good stuff.

Overall, I'd say:
    1. If your calorie goal is 1400 calories, eat 1400 calories. If you exercise, eat those calories back on top of the 1400. Eating 1200 calories per day is unnecessary. It's too low for most people, you included.
    2. If you like the foods that you're eating, that's fine. However, just know that you don't have to gorge on vegetables all day in order to lose weight. You can eat other foods that you might not consider "healthy" and still lose. It's calories in vs. calories out. Eating "clean" is not necessary.
    3. You also don't need to be on a special "plan" or read a diet book to lose weight. Like I said, calories in vs. calories out. Don't make it more complicated than it is.
    4. I like that you're planning on doing more strength-driven exercises after you've healed from childbirth. Once you start strength training, up that protein intake.

I would considering buying a food scale and weighing out your portions. For example, what is 1 tablespoon or 1/4 cup of almonds? Not accurate is what it is. You'll be surprised to find out that you're probably eating more than you think because you're relying on measuring cups. Weigh your solids, measure your liquids.

Also, know that most of the 8 lbs you lost this week is water weight. Don't expect your weight loss to continue at this rate. Aim for 1-2 lb loss per week. Once you get within 20 lbs of your goal, aim for 1 lb per week. Once you get within 10 lbs of your goal, aim for .5 lb per week. I'm just saying, don't get discouraged when your weight loss slows down drastically. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. It just means your body shed the water you were retaining.

Good luck!
  • leahszrk
    Options
    Wow.
    I can't thank you enough for all of your facts and suggestions!
    Feel free to stalk my entries and chime in with suggestions any time you would like!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This book is helpful: Nutrition For Dummies
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would echo a lot of the other that said use a food scale and weigh everything in grams even stuff such as ceral (there's always a weight in grams along with the serving size on all packaged foods).

Also don't wait until you lose weigh to start squatting (or any weight lifting) do it now. It will help to preserve your lean body mass as you lose.

Don't undereat. Eat at MINIMUM your BMR.

Eat now in a way that you can maintain for the erst of your life. If you do some crazy low calorie goal and/or exercise and insane amount, chances are you won't stick to it over the long run.

As for books there are tons and tons out there that offer lots of different advice and a good portion of it is crap. Losing weight is simply calories in vs calories out. THere are many different ways to achieve that formula but the concept is pretty basic.
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    clean eating might not be necessary but it is better for you. I can lose weight eating junk but I won't get healthy.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    kim_m_kk wrote: »
    clean eating might not be necessary but it is better for you. I can lose weight eating junk but I won't get healthy.

I eat "junk" and I'm healthy. Weird.

Food is food. Everything in moderation.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I agree that eating 'healthily' is best, but there is a lot of disagreement over what that means, even in the scientific community. Consensus is plenty of veg, plenty of protein, limit your added sugar (and some say limit total sugar including natural sugar), limit your salt, and finally have a little treat every day to keep you motivated. Many sources say you need a minimum amount of fat as well although the good fat / bad fat / ugly fat thing is up for debate. Cutting out a whole food group is generally frowned upon unless you have a specific medical condition. Be careful of food additives as some are not very good for you

To keep it simple: make sure you hit your macro and micronutrient goals each day, don't cut out everything you love, eat food you like.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You don't need a book, you need to eat what you like, in moderation. Additionally, I try to make room in my log daily for a treat, this way I never feel restricted.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Nah all things in moderation. I'm pretty dang healthy and I eat sugar Every. Single. Day. My labs and BP etc are in excellents ranges. If "clean" eating is what you prefer then eat that way but it's not necessary for weight loss.

Another thing that I didn't mention before was to plan your meals the day before. It's easier to stick to a plan if you prelog what you're gonna eat.