To weigh or not to weigh...

Options
I weighed. I knew I'd gained some weight, but the scale was a bitter wake up call this morning. I don't know why I'm surprised. My pants are TIGHT! ugh I know I'm not too far gone and no where near where I started. I have to resign myself that constant vigilance is the only way I'll maintain. I need to commit to weighing and tracking every week forever. I'm mad at myself. I've been back on track for over a week, and I should have weighed at the beginning to at least be able to see some progress, but hopefully that will come next week. I'm allowing myself a little wallowing, but I know I will be back where I was before summer or hopefully sooner. Self pity/self angry rant over ;)

Replies

• Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not weighing and tracking forever I hope. Don't be too rigid or you'll just set yourself up for failure. I think unless you're competing in bodybuilding competitions or something and need your calories and macros to be down to the T, the goal is to learn what proper portions look like. The goal is to understand how much fuel your body needs. Sure, if you find after a few months you let go, start tracking again to re-learn it, but forever and always for the rest of your life?

Unsustainable.
  • trianglevision
    trianglevision Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey at least your pants fit! I gained so much weight over the holidays that I can't even button my pants :(

I've never had to be constantly tracking before but my metabolism must be slowing down or something. Looks like I'll have to be mindful of what I eat all the time from now on if I want to keep from gaining...sigh :(
  • TheBattleAxe
    TheBattleAxe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm going steer clear of the scales for a while
    If the number goes up - get disheartened, think what's the point, go and eat
    - If it stays the same - no point in depriving myself when it's making no difference, go and eat - If it goes down - think that I'm doing so well I can ease off, go and eat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Not weighing and tracking forever I hope. Don't be too rigid or you'll just set yourself up for failure. I think unless you're competing in bodybuilding competitions or something and need your calories and macros to be down to the T, the goal is to learn what proper portions look like. The goal is to understand how much fuel your body needs. Sure, if you find after a few months you let go, start tracking again to re-learn it, but forever and always for the rest of your life?

Unsustainable.

Why is it unsustainable if it works? I have many MFP friends with over 1,000 day streaks (that's more than 2.7 years) who have been weighing and logging during time in maintenance.

At the least, I plan on weighing myself once a week for the rest of my life. I love the certainty a food scale gives me, even though I'm right most of the time when I put 1 serving on it.
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    DON'T WEIGH. Focus more on eating a more healthy diet, increasing your activity and focus more on how you feel. If you measure your success by the numbers on the scale, you will set yourself up for failure. There has been weeks when I went hard core at the gym and very clean on my diet yet the scale went up. On the flip side, I have skipped the gym and went hard core on beer and hot wings and the the scale down.
    Now, my yardstick for success is my energy level and where I have to fasten my belt
  • kilrbunnie
    Options
    I found in the past when I did lose weight I am more successful when I don't try to lose a certain amount of weight in a given time and didn't weigh myself. Putting all my focus on feeling better and healthier.