Here's my plan....what do you think?

Options
So, I am finishing up my finals for my second year of med school and I have about 8 weeks where my life will be under my control. Yay!

So, here's my plan to slim down, tone up, and feel great before 3rd year starts. This plan with go for 8 weeks (before my family vacation) and I will probably try to maintain some of it afterwards. I wanted to know what you people thought about it and/or if anyone has ever done something like this and has some advice.

Mon - P90X Back/Chest + 60 min moderate cardio
Tue - Turbofire HIIT + Abs + 60 min moderate cardio
Wed - P90X Legs/Butt + 60 min moderate cardio
Thu - Turbofire HIIT + Abs + 60 min moderate cardio
Fri - P90X Arms/Shoulders + 60 min moderate cardio
Sat - Turbofire HIIT + Abs + 60 min moderate cardio
Sun - Rest/Walk/Light biking

(I bought these programs last year and never found the time to do them)

Also, I plan to follow a South Beach type of diet with one cheat meal per week. (The reason for this is that I know this works for me and I also know that it helps me drop weight really well and will help with the muscle building too.)

So, what do you think? Doable? Any advice?

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    so doable. For me 60 minutes is too much because of time, with the kids and work and everything in between. I am happy with 20-30 on my treadmill. You can do it! What type of doctor are you going for? I'm a surgical technologist. Very cool job BTW. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Jenn
  • Cisqueen
    Cisqueen Posts: 3
    Options
    Zumba is the way for me. :bigsmile:
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    Sounds great .... you may want to do a 30 min one a few times so you dont burn out quick.....
  • sararuns1220
    Options
    Good luck and go for it! IF you committ yourself 100% to it you'll accomplish great things! Diet is 80% of what you look like so I suggest the following:
    Breakfast-4 egg whites with 1 slice of ezekial toast
    L-4 oz chicken breast, 1/2 c. brown rice, 1 c. veg (brocolli, aspargus, green beans)
    S-greek yogurt and a piece of fruit
    D-protein and super load up on veggies (you'll probably go to bed a little hungry but that is ok!)
    Drink a ton of water! Drink water with every meal and the pounds will drop off fast! Good luck, again.
  • rachel129
    rachel129 Posts: 28
    Options
    Jennmoore3 - I have absolutely no idea what area of medicine I want to go into. I like it all right now!

Ibe_Theninja - I think you are right. I may allow myself some days where I don't do cardio as long. The reason I say 60 minutes is that I can listen to an hour-long lecture each time I workout. But it may just be walking on a slight incline.

Cisqueen - I have never tried Zumba. It looks fun though!
  • rachel129
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention. I am a pescatarian (fish is the only meat I eat).

sararuns1220 - Thanks for the meal plan! I might try that!
  • rachel129
    Options
    bump.

any more advice?
  • spiritmachine
    Options
    Hello from a fellow med student. I'm finishing my last year now. It gets much more fun after second year. I got in the best shape of my life while studying for step 1. When are you taking it? So nice to be able to plan your whole day out and stick to a schedule. Looks like your plan is pretty intense. I'm sure if you stick to that you will see serious results.
  • rachel129
    Options
    spiritmachine - Hello! Nice to know that someone else made it through the mad-house that is med school. I am taking Step 1 on May 27 (3 short weeks from now). My schedule each day (right now) consists of waking at 6am studying at school from 6:30 to 4, then gym, then home/dinner, then trying to study before bed at 10. .....I am sure you miss that life, am I right?

BTW, what did you match in?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat back your calories and then some. Make sure your eating a ton of fish as you'll be needing the protein.
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    Good luck and go for it! IF you committ yourself 100% to it you'll accomplish great things! Diet is 80% of what you look like so I suggest the following:
    Breakfast-4 egg whites with 1 slice of ezekial toast
    L-4 oz chicken breast, 1/2 c. brown rice, 1 c. veg (brocolli, aspargus, green beans)
    S-greek yogurt and a piece of fruit
    D-protein and super load up on veggies (you'll probably go to bed a little hungry but that is ok!)
    Drink a ton of water! Drink water with every meal and the pounds will drop off fast! Good luck, again.

................."and there's nothing better than burning calories while you sleep" Debbie from Slim in 6
  • spiritmachine
    Options
    spiritmachine - Hello! Nice to know that someone else made it through the mad-house that is med school. I am taking Step 1 on May 27 (3 short weeks from now). My schedule each day (right now) consists of waking at 6am studying at school from 6:30 to 4, then gym, then home/dinner, then trying to study before bed at 10. .....I am sure you miss that life, am I right?

BTW, what did you match in?

Matched Otolaryngology. I actually loved step 1 time. Of course it's gets stressful towards the end but it's fun to have complete freedom over your day. Sounds like you have a good study and workout plan going. My best step 1 advice is tests, tests, tests. Practice questions and then write down (flash cards) the stuff you don't know. Don't get stuck reading too many different books, especially towards the end. Good luck! First Aid really is the bible.
  • rachel129
    Options
    bump.