Swimming

Options
Hi
Just started my try to get healthier plan. I've been very ill but have now recovered thankfully so here goes.
Have quite a lot of weight to loose. At least 5 Stone. Although I am now diabetic type 2 but using insulin as my illness was pancreatites and basically only now have half a pancreas .
My question is I have managed to start swimming ( hard as I don't look pretty in a swimsuit).
I swim for 45 minutes and do about 1/2 mile which is 34 lengths of my pool. When I enter it into diary it reckons I can add 600 cals now I'm sure I don't use up that many calories. What do you think any help welcome.

Replies

• TheBattleAxe
    TheBattleAxe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not sure. Maybe you should cross reference it as it does sound quite a lot. Are you getting out of breath whilst you're swimming? and what stroke are you doing? 45 minutes of butterfly would be loads more calories than breaststroke.
    Either way, good for you, stick with it and honestly other people are far to busy getting on with their own swimming to notice you in your suit (unless you swim with a friend or 2, breaststroke, chatting, swimming in line across the pool taking up 3 lines, oblivious to other users, which I'm sure you not :)
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I swim a lot and MFP tells me that an hour of swimming is 700+ calories, but an hour of spinning is in the 500 calorie range. I think that the swimming number for MFP is incorrectly high. Just keep it in mind for your overall daily calories.

Very few of us look good in swimsuits. Its great that you have found something to do successfully with your illness. Keep it up.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Plug it into a few other exercise calculators and see what they say. A lot of people feel that MFP overestimates.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Swimming does burn a ton of calories. If you are doing full strokes, you are using your full body- arms, abs, legs, etc. You also are doing this against the resistance of water, which is more dense than air, so you will work harder and burn more calories. As long as you are not just paddling around, but properly doing strokes, then you are probably burning a good amount of calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have always suspected that the swimming estimates on MFP are high even on the lowest entry so I only gave myself credit for half of them.
    I recently got a Garmin that I can use in the pool. While it is just an estimate, it is about half of what MFP says.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have always suspected that the swimming estimates on MFP are high even on the lowest entry so I only gave myself credit for half of them.
    I recently got a Garmin that I can use in the pool. While it is just an estimate, it is about half of what MFP says.

That's good to know! Thanks.