Kale

Options
2»

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of it myself but I find it can be put into mashed potatoes after being steamed and not really take anything away from the mashed potatoes.

I also juice some kale fairly often because I find green juice tasty with lemon, don't use juice as a meal replacement thing though. Just a refreshing way to get more greens and treat it like any other drink.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    Never had it but someone told me it was bitter. I really want to try it but im not sure if it's bitter.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've had it. it's not bitter, it's... earthy.

i'm gonna try this soon. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/10/garlic-parmesan-kale-pasta/
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I use it with other greens for a side dish (sauteed w/ peppers, etc.). I use it in green smoothies (only when its warm...hate cold things on cold days). I make kale chips (yum). I use it in salads (there's a great recipe online for kale squash pomegranate salad).
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    i've had it. it's not bitter, it's... earthy.

i'm gonna try this soon. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/10/garlic-parmesan-kale-pasta/

That looks so good..
  • ericah971
    ericah971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat it often for my first meal of the day. Sauteed with sweet potatoes and onion in evoo (or with bacon), top it with 2 over easy eggs and enjoy! Its very filling.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    We put it in stew, stir fry and my husband likes it in smoothies.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What can you eat with this? I know it sounds silly but I don't know what I do with it?

Steam it and put a bit of vinegar on it. Choice between cookie and kale?

Kale any day.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    ToniaH75 wrote: »
    Never had it but someone told me it was bitter. I really want to try it but im not sure if it's bitter.

It turns bitter if you leave it in the fridge too long. Maybe start out with baby kale and cook it asap.
  • amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it with a bit of vinegar, a small dash of salt, and put it in the dehydrator. Salt and vinegar kale chips! Addictively yummy!
  • whatis4dinner
    whatis4dinner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kale salads are great, they hold up to being dressed and refrigerated a couple of days, so super easy to prepare ahead of time for lunches. I chop mine in the food processor, seems to tenderize it a bit, then add all the extras and dressing, makes lunches for days. It feels much more filling than the usual salad greens, and the kale actual has taste to it. I kind of hate green salads generally, but kale is so much more satisfying. I don't find it bitter at all.

This is one recipe I like, but you'll find tons searching on Pinterest, http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/08/melt-in-your-mouth-kale-salad/
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Its pretty hardy, I like it sauteed with eggs, and in soups.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Search for Whole Foods Garlicky Kale Salad--yum! Easy, high in protein, and super crunchy and satisfying. It also keeps for 1-2 days after you put the dressing on.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I always pan braise mine. I start it with a teaspoon of olive oil, lots of garlic, and red pepper flakes and then put the kale in the pan with all the water it's been washed in still clinging to it. Stir it around until it's wilted, put a lid on it and let it cook for a bit until it's done to your liking, adding more water if necessary. You can keep cooking if you like your kale tender. I serve it as a side dish with any protein.

This is the only way I like it. I often add sliced purple onions as well. I love that it's kinda chewy, and I feel like I'm eating a whole meal.

I tried it in smoothies, and you have to be careful not to put too much, your smoothie will taste like grass lol.
  • gigmaster
    gigmaster Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kale is absolutely wonderful. Try pan frying some with grilled catfish, or Swai. Outstanding.

Use kale just as you would any other leafy greens. Try a kale omelet sometime. You can make kale dip, just like spinach dip.

Make up some meatloaf/meatball mix, make some small ovals with it, then wrap them in kales leaves. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes. You'll love it.