checking weight AFTER workout: RIGHT o WRONG???

Options
Is it wrong to be checkin weiht after workout... I jus did dat today n found it had increased dan my previous weight. I usually weigh myself before wrkin out..today was an exception.

All I had before n durin workout was half a banana and a glass of water...

Even if weighin in after workout is not advisable, would it be because it would be reduced due to loss of water content O is t somthin dat works d other way round?

Replies

• happy_feet
    happy_feet Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong to be checkin weiht after workout... I jus did dat today n found it had increased dan my previous weight. I usually weigh myself before wrkin out..today was an exception.

All I had before n durin workout was half a banana and a glass of water...

Even if weighin in after workout is not advisable, would it be because it would be reduced due to loss of water content O is t somthin dat works d other way round?
  • happy_feet
    Options
    can anyone please help me wid this?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    First, please be patient--you're posting at 4 in the morning for us on the East Coast of USA, and 1 in the morning for the West Coast folks, so you know, most of us are in bed. You're not going to get an answer within a couple of hours at that time of night.

Now, why would you weight after work-out anyway?

You should ONLY weight first thing in the morning--BEFORE drinking anything, and after the bathroom morning "stuff." Any other time you weight will not be a true weight.

Now, and please take this as nicely as possible because I'm not trying to be mean here, but I have a hard time understanding your posts sometimes with all the text messaging abbreviations you use and slang. Could you please try not to use so many and not so much slang? It makes it hard for older folks like me to make sense of what you're asking sometimes. :flowerforyou:
  • happy_feet
    Options
    First, please be patient--you're posting at 4 in the morning for us on the East Coast of USA, and 1 in the morning for the West Coast folks, so you know, most of us are in bed. You're not going to get an answer within a couple of hours at that time of night.

You should ONLY weight first thing in the morning--BEFORE drinking anything, and after the bathroom morning "stuff." Any other time you weight will not be a true weight.

Now, and please take this as nicely as possible because I'm not trying to be mean here, but I have a hard time understanding your posts sometimes with all the text messaging abbreviations you use and slang. Could you please try not to use so many and not so much slang? It makes it hard for older folks like me to make sense of what you're asking sometimes. :flowerforyou:

I almost cried now :sad: :sad: :sad:

Ok... I am sorry about the time.. But I am in India... and right now its 3.30p.m here.. I have internet only at office. and MFP is something I come and check even before my office mails.
    I just saw some people replyin to other posts and posted once again just hoping someone would reply to me too.
    About using shorts for my words, I am sorry again.. I am too used to text messaging like this on my cellphone and also Messenger chats. And honestly, I prefer typin short because its much quicker...selfish of me to not think whther or not you guys are comfortable with that! :frown:

About weighin in, I DO NOT have a scale at my room (Payin guest) and can weigh only when I go for my work out (Aerobis- 1hr , 5days a week) So I usually weigh myself before I start my workout. Today as I mentioned I weighed after working out and was surprised to see an increase. (less than a pound though). It just came to my mind that I was not very clear with what is best and what should be avoided. Came to office and posted my query.

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think that although weighing yourself in the morning before consuming anything is the ideal. But I (like you) do not have a scale in the little room I am renting; I am left with the scale at the gym and this generally means that I have had at least one glass of water before I get there. Again, although this is not ideal, it is doable.

The key is consistency. If you are going to weigh in at the gym, make sure you are being as consistent as possible with a) what you are wearing, b) when you are weighing, c) what day of the week you are weighing, d) what you eat/drink before you weigh.

I hope this helps and sorry about the slow response. :flowerforyou: :noway:
  • melissa91971
    Options
    It's ok. listen you should not be discuraged by even a couple of pounds! If the last time you weighed was not the same time of day than you should worry even less. The basic rule of thumb is to weigh the same time of day every time you weigh in. The best time is in the morning but for some people (like you) who can't weigh in the morning then the same time of day.

Good luck and don't be hard on yourself!
    ~Mel
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

I almost cried now :sad: :sad: :sad:

Ok... I am sorry about the time.. But I am in India... and right now its 3.30p.m here.. I have internet only at office. and MFP is something I come and check even before my office mails.
    I just saw some people replyin to other posts and posted once again just hoping someone would reply to me too.
    About using shorts for my words, I am sorry again.. I am too used to text messaging like this on my cellphone and also Messenger chats. And honestly, I prefer typin short because its much quicker...selfish of me to not think whther or not you guys are comfortable with that! :frown:

About weighin in, I DO NOT have a scale at my room (Payin guest) and can weigh only when I go for my work out (Aerobis- 1hr , 5days a week) So I usually weigh myself before I start my workout. Today as I mentioned I weighed after working out and was surprised to see an increase. (less than a pound though). It just came to my mind that I was not very clear with what is best and what should be avoided. Came to office and posted my query.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

It's no problem with times you're posting but just realize that you're way ahead of most of us on here-there are some in the UK and a couple others in the India or Pakistan area, but most of us are still sleeping when you're working.

Can you buy a scale for your room? Here, in the US, you can get one for about $20-$30 US dollars, so they're not expensive. If you weigh before working out, go with that and don't worry about what you weight afterwards. Go with the one before.

And thanks for typing out "fuller" words. Like I said, some of us aren't up on "text-speak."
  • happy_feet
    Options
    Not sure how much the scale will cost me.. I will try to get one if I can afford it. Probably a Christmas present for myself? :bigsmile:
  • saskia
    saskia Posts: 31
    Options
    Alternatively, you could get some measure tape and stop worrying about the weight too much (just do it once a week bf your aerobics). Measures can tell you a lot more than weight sometimes.
  • happy_feet
    Options
    hey your ticker is in Kgs... cool... I weigh myself in kgs but would convert it to lbs since everyone here would have it that way...

thanks.. I can start measuring myself...can surely afford a tape :blushing:
  • happy_feet
    Options
    One more thing.. the last two days I ate half a banana before my aerobics and actually found myself gettin exhausted quicker than otherwise.. I am not sure this has got anything to do with eating before workout but somehow I feel my tummy starts gettin a little pain after 40mins of aerobics... Without any bite, I can do pretty well.. but read eatin something before work out helped to kick start metabolism for the day...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I read that you should eat your carbs 2 hrs before you work out. This way your body has time to process the 'fuel'.

I dont know what experts might say, but I can NOT eat just before a workout or I get sick to my stomach or have to go to the bathroom.

If I come across a specific article, I wil forward it to you thru PM, ok?

Looks like what you are doing is working...13 pounds in 2 months is awesome!!!

:heart:
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weigh myself after a workout. I've found I drink more water than what I lose so it will never be my true weight. First thing in the morning after the bathroom!
  • happy_feet
    Options
    I read that you should eat your carbs 2 hrs before you work out. This way your body has time to process the 'fuel'.

I dont know what experts might say, but I can NOT eat just before a workout or I get sick to my stomach or have to go to the bathroom.

If I come across a specific article, I wil forward it to you thru PM, ok?

Looks like what you are doing is working...13 pounds in 2 months is awesome!!!

:heart:

I think even I should do without eating befor my work out... thanks :smile:
    and its 13lbs to go...11lbs lost... in LESS than two months!:drinker: :drinker:

Man!!! Typing full words can be tough!! :ohwell:
  • amccarville
    Options
    so how often does everyone weigh themselves??? i was just doing once a week but sme of you make it sounds like you weigh more often????:tongue:
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. I only change my ticker if I keep more than a pound off for more than 3 days. I know that I 'gain' weight that time of the month...but because I already know that it doesn't freak me out because I know I drop it plus some.
  • happy_feet
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week...It helps me.
    usually on Mondays after hogging on weekends and I also do not excercise on weekends...:frown:
    So just to see how badly have i done, i climb up the scale on Monday mornings...

and on Fridays jus to se how well I have done in that week...

This is also because I have access to scale only from Monday to Fri...
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says only weigh in once a week but I get on that scale every morning. I know I know - not what is recommended, daily fluctuations, TOM and all that jazz I get, but for me this works. The fluctuations keep me motivated.

For instance
    - If I weigh myself this morning and find I am up in weight :angry: , It makes me hunker down and fight harder to move that baby back down tomorrow

- If I weigh the same - well ok keep at it girl:ohwell:

- If I weigh less :smile: well then I know I that number is a number I can reach and if the next day I am up from that I remind myself that the day before was lower and by god I can make it come back and stay back.

It's a head game I know - but it's a head game that has worked for me so far. The thought of waiting all week and then on some weeks finding the number has stayed or gone up after a full 7 days of working my butt off for it would just let the air right out of my balloon. :huh:
  • happy_feet
    Options
    Sure... there was a weekend when I ate all crap and weighed myself Monday morn...Mann!!!! I was 3lbs down...and that was some moptivation:drinker: :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the afternoons around 3:30p... right after I'm done with my workout. My home scale is unreliable and useless... don't know why I even keep it around anymore. My gym scale is much more accurate and reliable, so I use it. Me personally -- I weight slightly less after working out. Doesn't matter much though, because I always use the same criteria when weighing myself to make sure it's consistent --- I weigh in after my workout, after my shower, and with as little on as possible (in the nude if the lockerroom is empty, bra and panties if others are there). I feel by following the same time tables and habits with weighing in, I get a consistent measure of my daily weight. And I do weigh daily.... it motivates me to do better or keep up the good work.