Carbs? Bread? Is it true?

Options
So today after stepping on the scale it says I gained about 3-4lbs since last Saturday. And its been stuck at 3-4lbs for a couple of days. Since returning home I have eaten a bit more carbs, particularly bread every day and was wondering if it could lead to water retention?
Anyone have experience with this?

I've kept to my calorie limit and highly doubt I magically created 3-4lbs of fat in a few days... but you know how it is gazing at the scale, your mind goes a bit wild.
I have also been able to have normal bowel movements and feel a bit constipated.
(Sorry for the TMI)

Thanks ya'll.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Carbs love to leave water. It'll disappear, unless you have eaten approximately 10,000 calories over your total daily energy expenditure. :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's water retention.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, most likely water retention. The opposite of what you are experiencing is why so many people think that low carb works so fast..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, carbs can cause water retention. Too much sodium may as well. Actually, any food can cause water weight gain, as well as many medications, hormones, and other things. Not all water weight gain is due to food.

Did you mean that you have not been able to normal bowel movements? If so, then I would ask if it getting close to TOM. Both water weight gain and constipation are fairly common during PMS.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Angel_Cake25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs can cause water retention. Too much sodium may as well. Actually, any food can cause water weight gain, as well as many medications, hormones, and other things. Not all water weight gain is due to food.

Did you mean that you have not been able to normal bowel movements? If so, then I would ask if it getting close to TOM. Both water weight gain and constipation are fairly common during PMS.

Yes, I meant to say NOT. lol.
    Its kinda close to TOM... but not terrible, thus causing confusion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you're low carb then eat carbs isn't that your body's glycogen and water returning to their natural state

One of the issues I personally experienced with low carb was my inability to stick long term, cos carbs are yummy, and the spring back of huge scale weight in zero time