Does cooking burn calories? MFP says yes!

Options

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    +1 for the people defending gardening.... 4 hours of gardening can really kick your butt, if you're doing it right....
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    MFP lies.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The calorie burns and your logs are just an estimate. If you need to invent stuff then its probable that you just end up cheating yourself. Whether you burn calories or not your body knows.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One of my friends once posted a calorie burn for "self pleasure"!
    But yeah, I hate when people count stupid stuff for calorie burns.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    lol! people are crazy and in denial.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    How much does worrying about what other people log burn? :huh:

So I get a cookie now?
    As long as you log it. Emoticon_cookie.png

I don't care what people log as exercise. I blindly click the thumbs up and say "Good job!".
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    And then they start a new thread titled not losing weight and I don't know why
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

So I get a cookie now?

I don't care what people log as exercise. I blindly click the thumbs up and say "Good job!".

Laughs, I log gum!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    And then they start a new thread titled not losing weight and I don't know why

Yep!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    What people don't understand is that "sedentary" is NOT the same as BMR.

BMR is the number of calories you would burn if you were essentially in a coma all day. The "sedentary" setting on MFP already includes a certain number of calories over your BMR. This accounts for a normal activity level of someone who sits around most of the day. This includes walks to and from the bathroom, around the house, light cooking or housework, trips to the corner store, using the computer, watching TV, all the normal stuff that forms a part of an otherwise fairly inactive life.

This stuff is all BUILT IN to your calorie estimate already. Logging it again is double-counting those minimal calories.

Use "sedentary" and then ONLY log workouts that are over and above your normal daily activity. Otherwise, you'll think you need to eat more calories than you actually do, folks!

I'm glad there are some people that actually get it. Sedentary can include walking a mile or two, driving, etc. I've seen people claim that they could have an extra slice of pizza because they drove for 5 or 6 hours yet can't explain how that is somehow different from working at a desk.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I only post cleaning or gardening if it is above & beyond the ordinary. Like spring cleaning where I am moving furniture, rolling up and moving area rugs, up and down stepladders, etc. Gardening if I'm doing lots of digging, bending, lugging plants all around the yard for planting, moving dirt and filled pots - not watering with a hose or anything like that. Of course today I shoveled snow for 4 minutes and counted it because it was a pretty low-activity day for me, and I did do it, and it was work...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    8y76knrtov6j.gif
    segacs wrote: »

This stuff is all BUILT IN to your calorie estimate already. Logging it again is double-counting those minimal calories.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I've seen people log ridiculous things like, pushing a shopping cart, sex, singing and driving. I just shake my head. These are usually the people that then cry when they aren't losing weight and try to say that calories in/calories out doesn't work. They're lying to themselves, and that's why it doesn't work for them.
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options

So I get a cookie now?

I want a cookie
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It does, but unless you're preparing some kind of holiday feast where you're seriously on your feet for hours on end, that kind of activity should already be rolled up in people's activity level.

Unfortunately, a lot of people just like cheating themselves...and then they wonder why it doesn't work, but they're doing everything "right"

^^This...
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    hamminit wrote: »

So I get a cookie now?

I want a cookie
    A cookie for you. Pls log kkthx. 4bupgrolk8sx.png

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Well I like this since I just cooked three meals this morning......no I wouldn't log it though honestly.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

So I get a cookie now?

Laughs, I log gum!
    I don't care either. No judging from me.