Are food scales helpful?

Options
bean_jean
bean_jean Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm thinking of getting a food scale to help me be more accurate with my food logging. I've been looking at them and am not sure how to choose one. What are your experiences and suggestions on what to look for in a food scale.

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Not just helpful, they're a necessity for calorie tracking!

I'd say don't get anything fancy, I got a $15 digital scale from target and it works wonderfully.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes. Get a scale with a tare button. Mine weigh in grams and ounces and has an 11lb max weight limit. $18 at Wal-Mart. I use it multiple times daily
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Best money I've spent!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Definitely!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My absolutely most used weight loss tool. Get a digital one with a tare feature that does both grams and ounces and you're good to go. Doesn't have to be expensive or super fancy.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. I was at a so-called "plateau" before I joined MFP and purchased a scale. Within 4 months I lost 10 pounds without hunger. Just weighed everything and stuck to my daily goal.
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Absolutely
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    YES get a scale! If you have a lot of weight to lose and/or have a large deficit, they're not necessary. I lost my first 30 pounds without it. BUT keep in mind that you're not as good at eyeballing as you think you are, a tablespoon or a cup is frequently "off" in weight, many foods like eggs and bananas aren't the USDA averaged weight (I've had one egg under 70 calories and 12+ over), and even packaged foods can be off. (Tonight I had olives. The container said 4 olives=15 g. My 3 olives=16 g)

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd look for one that can take a bit of weight (mine does up to 15 lbs), has a flat surface, has a tare button, and will do either grams or ounces.
  • britnicole5
    britnicole5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Yes. Ozeri brand on Amazon is great. $15
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Yes. Ozeri brand on Amazon is great. $15

+1 for Ozeri
  • marc83155
    marc83155 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth you need know how many calories it going to cost you.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Absolutely necessary for counting calories accurately. I also find them extremely helpful now for having consistent recipes for things. It was pretty surprising how a "cup" of something can very from time to time depending on the ingredient. Its also nice because now I don't always have a million measuring cups and spoons to clean up. ^.^
  • eranganm8
    eranganm8 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me food scale is "EVERYTHING" :#
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Necessity!
  • MikeLAdams
    Options
    I also recommend a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially helpful for learning serving sizes, if you don't know what they look like. Weighing the food gives you a much more accurate calorie count, too! When I began weighing, I found that some foods had a few more calories than I expected, but some had less.

Just keeping track allowed me to see patterns - times when I want to eat more or less, etc. Helpful!

Some people plan to weigh for life. I plan to stop (it a pain in the asp), so I really look at amounts, their totals for grams and calories, as well as what I get, nutritionally, from my foods. This time next year, I plan to be a thin, well-nourished person who eats what she needs in reasonable amounts without having to work too hard at it. That's the plan! :)

I've started writing down what I have, the grams and time and then entering that info once a day. For me, the whole process is less "painful" that way. It also lets me make my decisions without seeing the numbers from earlier. I can get a better idea how I do on my own that way. In a few months, I'm going to switch to weekly entering. :)
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You MUST have a food scale if you want to lose weight consistently. 3oz of chicken vs 4oz will screw up your calories and protein to carb ratios for example. I have an old WW scale someone gave me a few years ago that works extremely well. As long as it weighs in ounces and grams you are good to go.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Best money ever spent. Can get a cheap one from Target or Walmart.