Eating well within my calories but gaining weight

Options
I've been eating 3 healthy meals a day with 1-2 snacks in between. I've also been walking more than what I used to (I walk 5-6k steps a day versus the 1500-2000 steps I used to do). However, I have gained 4 lbs since starting my diet/exercise on December 26th. I'm measuring my foods and have plenty of greens and cut back on the bad food a lot. I stay around 1100-1250 calories a day.

I'm not sure if that's normal due to increase activity as it could be muscle.

My starting weight was 205 (I started at 247 back in 2013) and now I'm 209.

Sorry if this is posted a lot.

Replies

• LollerskateDJ
    LollerskateDJ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add that I used to eat 1-2 times a day before I started eating smaller meals/snacks throughout the day like I do now. The forum won't let me edit for an hour.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    1- are you WEIGHING your food with a food scale? Anything that is NOT a liquid should be weighed. Liquids you can measure. NEVER just take the values off the package of food. Use that information to compare to your entry on the diary, but you have to know the weight of what you ate.
    - for example, a serving a chips is 14 chips (28g) - if you count out 14 chips - and weigh them, I bet you $1,000 they don't weigh 28g. (this is just an example)

If you aren't this is most likely the problem. You are eating more than you think.
    Also, when you log, be sure that you use the correct item from the database.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think#latest

Have a look at that post. Make sure you are logging everything you eat and drink - a latte can be a couple of hundred calories.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, try only eating back half of them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Are you using a food scale or measuring cups, as the latter will be more inaccurate and you're more likely to be eating more than you think.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ^ all of this. Plus, you haven't given this a lot of time. It can take several weeks for your body adjust to your new routine and reflect the changes.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You maybe under eating 1200 calories is not much and you have stated you do under eat (1100 calories)

Have you set your weight loss to 2 pounds a week? (this could be too aggressive, you may have to change it to 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week.

or you have not logged things right, and have eaten more than you think.
  • LollerskateDJ
    LollerskateDJ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think#latest

Have a look at that post. Make sure you are logging everything you eat and drink - a latte can be a couple of hundred calories.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, try only eating back half of them.

I'm not eating back my calories. :)

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I'm not eating back my calories. :)

I eat mine back, because I like cake, but some people underestimate their calories and overestimate their exercise :)

If you only started on 26 Dec it's likely you haven't given your body enough time to do its thing. Continue eating as you are for another couple of weeks, being obsessive about weighing food, and if you are still gaining weight it may be time to nip to the doc.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Could you open your diary please?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still closed. With the exception of newbie gains, you do not "gain" muscle in a deficit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You didn't answer the person asking if you're weighing your food.

Or it could just be water retention if you're getting your period soon.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    • Water retention
    • You're still eating more than you think
    • You're consuming a lot of salt (see point one)

Weigh your food, measuring cups and eye balling can be incorrect which means your food intake is not accurate.

We cannot help you if you do not open up your diary.
  • klong100
    Options
    If you are doing everything correctly, perhaps you have a thyroid problem? A simple blood test could let you know.
  • Yogasvelte
    Yogasvelte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One other possibility is that your starting weight time differed from your last weigh-in. I don't know about others, but I weigh myself as soon as I get up after I pee for consistency. I am at my lightest then. After food and hydration from drinking liquids, I can weigh an additional two or three pounds. Another big factor is salt (is high in many "diet" foods including cottage cheese, canned tuna, non-fat feta cheese, canned beans, almond milk, broth, salad dressings...) which results in water weight or edema. For a day or two, try getting your 1200 calories from ONLY unsalted fresh fruits, vegetables, and pure protein (that doesn't contain added salt). The best are fresh pineapple, watermelon, citrus fruits, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, and chicken breast. Just eat those items for a day; nothing else. Drink lots of water to facilitate your kidneys in ridding your body of excess water weight. I can drop 3 or 4 pounds overnight doing this and keep it there as long as I avoid too many salty foods.
  • eranganm8
    eranganm8 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I you're a newbie to the workout routine..then this could be retention of water.. and your weight can be vary 1-5lbs in any given day... be little bit patient and you will be fine.. :)