Are protein shakes right for me?

Options
I'm thinking of adding protein shakes to my weekly diet however I am not sure if they are right for me.

I'm on a 1200 calorie diet (after exercise). I don't eat meat but I eat fish, eggs, etc. I walk, cycle and do cardio (30 DYS Shred) everyday. Also, I swim at least once a week. I have been doing exercise since July 2014 and I feel as though my arms strength have been drained from me. I was thinking to buy just one monthly shake mix bottle and give it a try. Would they do any harm?

Thanks in advance and I apologise if it sounds silly but I don't know anything about protein shakes. :)

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question. I do eat meat, but am also on 1200 calories (after exercise). One of the fitness instructors in my strength training class said we should be consuming a protein shake after a strength training session. However, most of these products are 120 calories, plus if you put them in water, they are nasty, so of course, they need to be in milk to be palatable, which adds another 100 calories. If I do that, basically, I have to give up something else that I would be eating that day to compensate for those calories, and frankly, drinking things don't make me feel full. However, it's hard for me to get my protein macros in just by eating because my calorie limit is pretty low. I can't raise it because I am older and petite, and my BMR is only 1100 calories.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    No harm. Just a waste of money
  • kimorris460
    kimorris460 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They can be pretty filling I'll usually have one before or after I leave the gym
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    They're an easy way to get your protein for (typically) not that many calories. That's all. If you can meet your protein goals without shakes, they're not necessary. They're not any better or worse than any other food that contains protein. Personally, I drink them on a daily because I don't eat meat and try to eat 120g of protein per day.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Low calorie protein shakes are great for reaching macros if you are on a cut or low calorie diet.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are appropriate unless you're allergic to whey or can't tolerate casein, there are Soy shakes too. I think the real question is; is your calorie deficit to drastic for your activity level? When somebody tells me that they don't feel like they have any strength, my first instinct is to look at their recovery protocol which includes their nutrition. Protein shakes on their own won't give you any more energy or strength than protein from lean beef, chicken, cottage cheese, etc.
  • meghanwasham
    Options
    I do a meal replacement not just a protein shake. I get all of my veggies, nutrients, vitamins and protein I need in a day. I like the how easy they are to make. I am running around in the morning getting the kids ready for school so making a easy and healthy breakfast is nice.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I like them because they are an easy to make source of protein and can taste almost like a milkshake for me without the calories. If you use almond milk you can cut the calories down from regular milk.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I try to hit a gram of protein for every pound of current body weight. So I'm 127 and I shoot for 127g of protein. Never ravenous or deprived, feel mentally alert and am seemingly over the mid day slump.
    I'm an advocate of the protein shakes. I use the muscle milk powder. Eas has some but they don't sit well on my stomach. I'd buy a few premade ones and see how they work for you. I doubt you could get too much protein and if you are not getting enough you compromise muscle tissue. Which is your furnace. Less muscle-less calories you burn.

It won't bulk you up, even though it is marketed for muscle gain. If you can find the muscle milk light or something similar, all the better. I drank Atkins shakes for a while. I always mix mine with water, can't do milk. Nut milks are always a lower calorie option too.

And I just found that the powdered ones make smoothies indulgent. But hey, no guilt!
  • mariaoutlook
    mariaoutlook Posts: 130
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I should be eating 68 grs. of protein per day (0.8 grs. of protein per kg. of body weight). As I said, I don't eat meat and the cottage cheese I buy has only 6 grs. of protein per 60 grs. I am not expert and it may be another reason why I feel so weak (specially my arms). I went to my GP and apparently nothing is wrong with me...

After reading your comments, search in Google, etc. I think I'm going to eat more beans, eggs (I barely eat one egg every few months), yogurths, nuts and seeds and see if it makes a difference. I'm going to buy a protein shake for those mornings that I'm busy. And if nothing improves within the next months, I will come back to my GP.

Can you please recommend me any protein shake brand available from UK and Irish supermarkets or on-line? Thank you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A protein shake is simply a way to reach your goal protein intake for the day. There is nothing that you get out of a shake that you wouldn't get out of eating something with the same amount of protein. They are popular because they are quick and easy (and depending on where you are and what you prefer to eat, possibly cheaper).
    If you feel they will help you reach your protein intake, and you like them, they are probably right for you.
    rosebette wrote: »
    I have a similar question. I do eat meat, but am also on 1200 calories (after exercise). One of the fitness instructors in my strength training class said we should be consuming a protein shake after a strength training session. However, most of these products are 120 calories, plus if you put them in water, they are nasty, so of course, they need to be in milk to be palatable, which adds another 100 calories. If I do that, basically, I have to give up something else that I would be eating that day to compensate for those calories, and frankly, drinking things don't make me feel full. However, it's hard for me to get my protein macros in just by eating because my calorie limit is pretty low. I can't raise it because I am older and petite, and my BMR is only 1100 calories.

For the average person, meal timing (including your post workout meal) is irrelevent. You do not need a shake right after a workout. If you find you have to give something else up in order to accommodate it, I wouldn't bother.

How large of a deficit are you at?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    1200 a day is probably too low a caloric intake as that is MFP's lowest number.
    Either eat back your exercise calories 50-75%, or reassess your intake using a TDEE calculator like IIFYM.com which includes you exercise calories.

If you are falling short on protein specifically, by all means have a shake, but first check that you are ingesting enough food.
    Cheers, h.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    protein supplements are not a waste of money. Some people need to supplement. It is also a great 'add' for a shake when you need to get some added protein into it. But is is not a food replacement per se. Get as much of your protein from food and supplement if you are having trouble meeting your goals. Especially if you are cutting fat you will need more protein.
    To me it looks like you want to shred fat from your post. Adding a protein powder to get your protein up is not a bad idea but hard to tell without seeing your diary setting.
  • pcon13
    pcon13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Atkins Advantage and add Oat Milk for cholesterol with Bone Essentials added. Makes a lovely thick smoothie that you can add anything to for taste and change - especially when using Vanilla. Surprising adds up to very little and is my breakfast replacement due to hating breakfast.

I am a vegetarian (eat eggs & fish occasionally) and have been surprised at how hard it is to meet daily protein requirements. Has been a constant struggle, so this means the protein shake is a good boost to the numbers otherwise would never meet them.

I would suggest giving it a go as I have had great results and still feel full at lunch with feeling hungry only arriving back around 2pm. Has let me cut back on my portion sizes without it being strenuous and feeling like I am on a 'diet' and constantly hungry.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I should be eating 68 grs. of protein per day (0.8 grs. of protein per kg. of body weight). As I said, I don't eat meat and the cottage cheese I buy has only 6 grs. of protein per 60 grs. I am not expert and it may be another reason why I feel so weak (specially my arms). I went to my GP and apparently nothing is wrong with me...

After reading your comments, search in Google, etc. I think I'm going to eat more beans, eggs (I barely eat one egg every few months), yogurths, nuts and seeds and see if it makes a difference. I'm going to buy a protein shake for those mornings that I'm busy. And if nothing improves within the next months, I will come back to my GP.

Can you please recommend me any protein shake brand available from UK and Irish supermarkets or on-line? Thank you.

I don't have any brand suggestions. But here in the US they are in the grocery stores. I'd hope same would be for you. Maybe even a pharmacy store like CVS. Or you could order them online. Hopefully some one will chime in that knows.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I don't have any brand suggestions. But here in the US they are in the grocery stores. I'd hope same would be for you. Maybe even a pharmacy store like CVS. Or you could order them online. Hopefully some one will chime in that knows.

lots of good ones out there, just read the label. I use Syntrax nector. It is just whey protein. no carbs no fat cause you are usually getting that elsewhere.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Feeling weak means either an injury or fatigue due to not eating enough. A protein shake would only be necessary if you don't feel you can reach your protein goal without it. It's not magic. It's just another way to eat protein.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My bet is that the reason you feel weak is your very low calorie goal. Am I correct that you're eating 1200 calories regardless of how much exercise you do?

I like protein shakes because I don't like meat. Personally Trutein tastes the best to me but it's also pretty expensive. Best bet is to find a sale. Increased protein may help but mostly I think you'd benefit from more calories in general.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    I eat 1200 after exercise and I don't think I burn as much calories as MFP says. In fact, I'm not losing weight dramatically or anything. I eat pretty much everything except meat, sweets, fizzy drinks, etc.

I will go tomorrow to different supermarkets as well as to Holland & Barrett, Boots, etc. with pen and paper and I will write down how many proteins, etc. they have and then decide. :)

Thanks a lot. You have helped me immensely.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 after exercise and I don't think I burn as much calories as MFP says. In fact, I'm not losing weight dramatically or anything. I eat pretty much everything except meat, sweets, fizzy drinks, etc.

I will go tomorrow to different supermarkets as well as to Holland & Barrett, Boots, etc. with pen and paper and I will write down how many proteins, etc. they have and then decide. :)

Thanks a lot. You have helped me immensely.

What do you mean by "after exercise?" You mean you're netting 1200 or grossing 1200? Like if you eat 1200 and then work off 300, would you eat 300 more calories or not?

Be careful about supermarket brands and read some reviews before you buy. For example Body Fortress brand has gotten into trouble for not actually containing as much protein as it claims.