Confused about drinking to much water.

Options
I know you can drink to much water. But how do know how much is to much. I drink 8-10 16oz mugs of ice water a day. I stay thirsty cause I have to take fluid pills and it dries my mouth out, and I'm diabetic. Which also causes me to be thirsty. So I drink ice water all day. I noticed one of the side effects of to much water is cold hands and feet, which I have that. But I was just wondering if I was drinking to much water to lose weight.

Replies

• NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    On average I drink 4 liters of water per day, more if I am active. Unless you have kidney disease, I wouldn't worry about drinking too much water. Just don't drink gallons when you aren't thirsty. If you have dry mouth from medications, have you tried sucking on sugar free candies or chewing gum instead of guzzling water? This might be helpful so you aren't running to the bathroom every 20 minutes (since your water pills make you do this anyways) :)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    pretty sure that drinking a lot of water won't stop you from losing weight. it could kill you though.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    160 oz of water is only five quarts. The odds of hyponatremia from 1.25 gallons spread across a full day.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Nope, you will still lose weight. I drink almost that much and I don't have any excuse.

Ask your doctor if there's a specific target that you can't go over, but it seems that you would have other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if you did that this issue.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The suggested intake for a person is to drink your body weight in ounces every day. I don't know your weight, but considering your ticker says 103 pounds to go for weight loss and you are drinking 128-160 oz a day you should be just fine. You may have to increase your electrolytes if you start to experience symptoms of hyponatremia.
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice. My kids are worried about me taking this diet thing to serious.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You need to ask the doctor. Generally, when they put people on water pills, they give you an amount. Drinking extra water tends to defeat the purpose of taking the pills, sometimes.

Normally, people can drink to their thirst and not give water a second thought. But if you have an issue, you have to call the office and ask them.

Sugarless gum will help a TON with the thirst. It keeps your mouth moister. Try it!

Good luck. :)
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you need to worry about drinking too much water. Usually the biggest problem is people not drinking enough. You would have to drink a heck of a lot of water to overdo it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    For those with healthy kidneys, 4 liters a day should not be a problem, as long as you aren't consuming large quantities at one time without also including electrolytes (salt, salt tablets, sports drinks, etc.) to prevent water intoxication, which could be deadly. It is doubtful that you would be at risk for this unless you are running a marathon in the heat or doing something which causes you to sweat a lot, and drinking a lot of water at one time.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    No, I drink about the same amount everyday...and occasionally more. It does not hurt weight loss at all. The only way drinking water can hurt you is if you try to chug gallons at one time. If you spread it out over the course of the day, a glass or two at a time, you will be fine. It's actually very good for you in many ways.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think you need to discuss this with your physician. It sounds like you have multiple health issues. For instance - are you checking your blood sugar. One of the first signs of elevated blood sugar is excessive thirst. You say you are on a "water pill" but not what or why. I am not suggesting you tell us about your health- we are not doctors, and it sounds like you need a doctor's or nutritionist's advise. I hope you get some good advise and are successful in losing weight.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    It is incredibly difficult to overdose on water. You'd have to consciously do it. If you have medical conditions, though, I suggest talking to a doctor. I wouldn't worry, though.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It won't affect your weight loss, but it could be a sign that your blood sugar isn't well-regulated. How closely do you track your sugars and how faithful are you to take your meds, if you're on any?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I knew a guy in college who died from a water overdose during a hazing incident. But a more likely scenario is that a person will overdose on water during exercise, because the real issue is that the sodium levels are too low. You should check with your doctor, but if you are on a water pill, it may be because your sodium is too high, thereby reducing the chances of drinking too much water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The suggested intake for a person is to drink your body weight in ounces every day. I don't know your weight, but considering your ticker says 103 pounds to go for weight loss and you are drinking 128-160 oz a day you should be just fine. You may have to increase your electrolytes if you start to experience symptoms of hyponatremia.

Its half your body weight in ounces

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Easy: If you're thirsty, you're NOT drinking too much.

If you have to force it down, you're drinking too much.

If it feels just about right, you're probably just about right.

• lnielsen18
    lnielsen18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Def. not too much. A gallon a day is recommended and you would have to drink quite a bit more than that for problems. Water will help you lose weight and generally eat less. It is good for you all around.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I know you can drink to much water

Try to drink away from much water. ;)

Drinking too much water doesn't hinder weight loss. It can kill you, but that's marathoners and such, you're fine.

• whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic and I am taking my meds daily and my blood sugar ranges between 87-107. I use to be up in the 400's. I've lost 65 pounds since then. Before I joined the site I weighted 315 pounds. I have an adrenal disorder that causes my body to retain fluid. So that's why I'm on the fluid pills. And I have high blood pressure (well I use to to) until I lost weight. But I want to keep going.