Can weight loss is possible in hypothyroidism?

Options
I am experiencing hypothyroidism from 4 years.

I was weighing 45 kg before thyroid.

I heard about my hypothyroidism and my pregnancy news in same month :o . And till 9th month in pregnancy I reached 70 kg weight. After delivery - 65 kg till another 1 year.

After 1 year I rejoined my work and lost 7 kg with the help of calculating calories on MFP as well as walking.

My thyroid level is within range through out the years as I am taking Thyronorm 50mcg.

Checking my thyroid levels quarterly and in within range.

But now without changing anything I am regaining weight and now weighing 61 kg :( and still in normal range-level of thyroid.

Can I loose weight in this condition.??

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Is 61 a lot for you? I'm tall, so it sounds low to me.

Anyway, Yes, lots of people who have their thyroid problems fixed go on to lose lots of weight.

I had really, really big thyroid issues. They took it out, gave me the pills, and I'm down about 80 pounds now. And still going.

A good endocrinologist can make a huge, positive, wonderful difference in your life. God bless the endos! :)
  • bharatirats
    bharatirats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kalikel for your reply.

I am short enough 5" :) . So I am overweight accordingly.

Sorry to hear that you have big thyroid issues and glad to hear you have managed a lot. :)

Keep going..

My next step will b to contact endocrinologist.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Do see an endocrinologist. It's important to have your symptoms treated, and not just go by your numbers. If you are tracking what you're eating and TRULY eating at a deficit and gaining weight, it's possible that you need your meds corrected even if you're testing within normal parameters. That's why there's a range. You should come to learn what your optimum feel good number is within that range.

I have Hashimoto's disease and when I was first diagnosed, I was very fortunate to get the good advice from the endocrinologist who diagnosed me that not all doctors out there are up on the ins and outs of thyroid disease. Treating patients by the numbers is what a GP will do. Treating patients by their symptoms is what a good doctor should do.
  • bharatirats
    Options
    Hello mamapeach910...

My GP has given me doses and my following that only as my levels were also in range...

You are right..Levels are normal but I have to search for the range for optimum feeling good :)

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    22.5 BMI would be 52.2 kg at your height, weight loss should be possible even with reduced metabolic rate or other effects of the condition.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've been medicated for hypothyroid for 20+ years. I lost weight in the last year when I decided to eat at a caloric deficit and not before. It's more than possible to lose weight when diagnosed hypothyroid...the same way everyone else does. Watch your calories and some exercise can't hurt.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You aren't hugely overweight so it is harder for you to lose those last stubborn pounds. Be as accurate as you can with the food logging and if you don't already weigh your food, this needs to be added. Also with the amount you need to lose, you won't be able to lose the 2 lbs/week (1KG/week) that others can. You should be aiming for less than a 1 lb per week (<0.5KG/week). I'm not even sure that you would be able to lose more than 0.5lbs/week without depriving yourself and starving.

Slight changes in your diet might help too like going lower on the carbs. Hormonal medical issues are hard enough, but insulin (needed for your digestion of those carbs) is just another hormone and can add to your difficulties.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    wait...you've had hypothyroidism for four YEARS, and you haven't been to an endo yet?? Make an appointment NOW.

I was diagnosed hypo in Sept 2011 after gaining over 50 pounds in less than a year. My gyn ran the first panel of bloodwork and started me on a low dose of synthroid, but I made an appointment with an endo as soon as the bloodwork came back (granted, I had to wait 6 months for an appointment, but I sure as heck didn't wait to call). I was VERY happy to finally have my appt with the endo, because he ran additional tests, and although some were the same as what my gyn had run, what the endo considers "normal" is a much narrower range than my gyn. We wound up increasing my dosage 3 times before my numbers were where my endo wanted them to be (whereas my gyn was fine with my numbers on the initial lower dose).

Once your ENDO gets you on the correct dose of meds, you will be able to lose weight. It took almost a year to get me on the correct dose, and then another 6 months before the weight started coming off (my other symptoms went away first), and it is VERY slow going. It's taken me almost 2 years to lose 50 pounds, and I HAVE to count every bite that goes into my mouth and I HAVE to exercise more than the average person, but it IS coming off. I'm now back at the weight I was when I developed hypo, and only 15 pounds away from my goal weight.

HTH! :)
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2000. The treatment recommended by my endocrinologist resulted in my thyroid ceasing to function. I believe a NON-FUNCTIONING thyroid is more severe than "hypothyroidism"... and yes, weight loss is possible!

Three years ago I started my weight loss. In total I have lost 90 pounds and maintained that weight loss for two years.

Long story short... yes it is possible! :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost all the weight before my thyroid levels ever reached the "normal" range.

I lost slowly, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining & gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it short! The answer has been stated here several times and the answer yes provided you do a few good things. 1 Find a good endocrinologist (I am lucky my is a leader in the field), 2. Use MFP as designed to do and that is to count calories and water 3. Weigh and measure everything you consume and 4. Find a suitable exercise (walking) that you can do since since you are in the state of hypothyroidism and can become exhausted easily. The best to you because many of us have been there and know what you are going through.
  • bharatirats
    Options
    Thank you so much to all...for sharing your words, knowledge, experience with me...that gave me a belief... that I can do....
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's possible. I have Hashi's, never seem to be stable, am on Levo but over the past three years just can not seem to find that dosage sweet spot, but when I calorie restrict, I lose weight. I am 47.
  • bharatirats
    Options
    Felt positive to hear your weight loss....
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    It's possible. I have Hashi's, never seem to be stable, am on Levo but over the past three years just can not seem to find that dosage sweet spot, but when I calorie restrict, I lose weight. I am 47.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is fine, but I have another hormonal condition (polycystic ovarian syndrome) that makes it hard to lose weight too.

I have been able to lose 75 pounds with PCO, so I have to think it's possible.

A dietician can be a huge help in finding out things that are helpful for food plans for those with thyroid issues.

• InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 13, so 16 years ago. I am on 100mcg of Levo. I was able to lose weight when I was lifting and eating at a calorie deficit. It is definitely possible if you are tracking well. It will take time though, because healthy weight loss always does.
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, adrenal disorder and hypothyroidism, yes it is very hard to lost weight and a very slow process. But it will happen. You just can't give up. The meds that the endocrinologist might give you are steroids (mine were) which causes me to gain even more weight. And weight loss is very important.