Scale recommendations?

Options
Hello,
Does anyone have any scale recommendations? My digital scale tells me a different weight every time I stand on it (even if I stand on it 3 times in a row!).
Thank you,
Maggie

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have a ww digital, love it.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I have a ww digital, love it.

That's what I have too. It seems pretty consistent.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had the same problem, Maggie. I now have a Withings wireless Scale WS-30 and I like it. Every now and then I get a bad reading from it but if I step off and wait for the display to go blank I can step on again and it's back to being consistent (even if I step on 3 times to check - a habit my old scale got me into!).

A nice extra - this scale can use your home wifi to send your weight straight to MFP.
  • maggie_perrin
    maggie_perrin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I'll check it out:o)
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings body analyzer. Got it for christmas and love it! It pairs via bluetooth to my phone/MFP and collect lots of data.
  • maggie_perrin
    Options
    Thank you for the recommendation:o)
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have a good old fashioned dial scale from Walmart. Works great!
  • maggie_perrin
    Options
    Thank you @TysonCook, are you able to input into mfp without exact numbers like one does with a digital?
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Omron HBF-516B is fantastic. This thing is absolutely precise. For example, I can test its precision by weighing myself before and after showering post-exercise. Since I exercise at consistent times and do a consistent format, I have a consistent amount of sweat. Every single time I compare my pre and post-shower weights, there is a 0.2 lb variation; I have never once had the scale deviate from that figure.

Scale accuracy is not as important as scale precision. It doesn't matter if the weight displayed is your true weight, it only matters if the measurement is reproducible. This Omron scale is great for that.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have an EatSmart precision digital. It may fluctuate a tenth of a pound if I stand on it three times in a row. Good enough for me.
  • saz_fairy
    saz_fairy Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been using the fitbit aria for the past three years. I am super happy with it. Sometimes the initial reading is a bit off if I haven't used the scales in a long time, but the second reading always lines up with more test readings. It is meant to measure body fat but I question its accuracy, If I have drunk a lot of water, it seems to be thrown off.

What I like most about it is that it links with the fitbit system and the myfitnesspal to automatically track your weight using wifi. It really keeps you accountable and helps you see trends. I could input the numbers myself but tbh if its a bad reading I get tempted to not put it in and sometimes I am lazy.

It can recognize up to 8 people. Also its good to note that I also use a fitbit, so linking with their system is a bigger deal for me than others.
    Hope you find what you're looking for.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thank you @TysonCook, are you able to input into mfp without exact numbers like one does with a digital?

I just read the dial as close as I can and record it that way. Weight fluctuates several pounds due to water anyway, so I've found no need to be exact. It's worked well for me anyway.
  • maggie_perrin
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. I have a lot to compare and contrast! I appreciate all the advice!
    :o)
    Maggie
  • dreamretro
    dreamretro Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello,
    Does anyone have any scale recommendations? My digital scale tells me a different weight every time I stand on it (even if I stand on it 3 times in a row!).
    Thank you,
    Maggie
    The most accurate scales are the physician scales. The one that have the weights that you have to move. I find most digital scales give a different reading when you stand on and come off and then on again.

This one is great!
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/detecto-physician-scale-400-lb-capacity/104932.ip
  • maggie_perrin
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know those were available to the public! A bit too steep right after Christmas but definitely in the future. Thanks! @dreamretro
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I got the one amazon recommended because I don't know anything about scale manufacturing (except the basics that everyone knows.) It's an Eat Smart scale.

To was perfect when I got it. About a week ago, I put my new weights on it to see what it said. They should weigh 30. It said 30.1

Now, I don't know if the weights are off or the scale is, lol. But it's .1, so I don't care. :)
  • txaggies07
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria. I had another digital scale, but found myself not logging weights if I didn't like what it said. The Fitbit automatically uploads to Fitbit and MFP so I can't hide from the truth. It also helped after falling off the train a bit to see what I really was a few months ago. The numbers match my other digital scale closely. The body fat calculation might be suspect, as they all are, but I am just trying to get that number to trend down.
  • maggie_perrin
    Options
    Thank you for your advice @kalikel and @txaggies07
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I love my Withings and Trendweight. My weight bounces 5+ lbs. normally across a week. Now I don't freak out. I ignore it and check Trendweight and can see what's REALLY going on, and it's always less dire than my imagination. What used to set me off an a "Why do I even bother!!" negative spiral is now nothing.