Best exercises for people with High Blood Pressure??

Options
Hi all, I'm after some exercises for people like myself with High Blood Pressure. My cardiologist told me not to over do it with exercising and start slowly as I tend to pass out. I'm unmedicated as my Dr believes my weight could be why I have High BP, hence why I want to lose weight.
At the moment I walk, do Dumbbells and cardio resistance bar. Any other exercises would be lovely.
Thanks in advance for help.

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'd check with my doc just to make sure, but IIRC, swimming is pretty good for lowering blood pressure.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with HBP after my gallbladder surgery in November. My doctor suggested exercise, but didn't give me any restrictions. Walking and your weights sound good... maybe add in yoga or pilates?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Walking is probably the best for HBP. I have a history of HBP and lifted weights and walked quite a bit to get my weight down. It is now in normal range and I walk, run, and lift without any adverse effects; then again, I had never gotten to the point of passing out, either.

To be safe, I'd get with my physician (GP sufficient here) to get clearance on ANY exercise program. I will say that some resistance exercises when using heavy weights can cause momentary increases in BP.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In general, exercise guidelines for those with hypertension, especially people just starting a program, are to focus on frequent, moderate-intensity, aerobic workouts, along with moderate intensity resistance exercise.
  • shawndimantha
    Options
    Agreed with those who have already posted, walking is a good first step, resistance training also helps. Losing weight will help the most (if weight is a problem for you). Look at page 2 of this document for relative effectiveness of various lifestyle modifications (from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute): http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/phycard.pdf
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Ensure you're not lifting weight resistance that's too high and also make sure your breathing technique is correct. Incorrect breathing while lifting even the most moderate of weights CAN increase your blood pressure immensely during exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png