Ways to get back on track?

Options
I dunno, I've just had a few terrible months. Since October I've been overeating and not exercising enough. I had a high school reunion ii October, so I figured it was just stress from the, but I still can't seem to stop shoving food in my face. Lately I've been struggling not to gain back too much. I feel like crap, and am back to my pre-MFP weight.

I suppose I'm just asking for some advice on how to get back into the swing of things. I have a tendency to want to punish myself for overeating once day, so the next I end up overeating again becuase I don't eat breakfast or lunch. I realize it's stupid and harmful, yet I do it anyways. Ugh, I dunno, just ugh. Maybe I just needed to vent or find some more friends for suppost.

Replies

• hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not easy. Do not punish yourself. You don't deserve it. You have to develop a healthier relationship with food and yourself. It may be something you need to speak to a professional for. I wish very good luck and feel free to add me- but please don't punish yourself.
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    p.s. I gained all my weight back too and i had a horrible day today too- but tomorrow- is a new day and a new diary :) every bit you do better does make a difference.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Learn about maintenance and what you need to do to maintain your loss once you lose it again

Focus on what you're going to do to maintain once you get there

My bugbears with the way we all approach weight loss, me included, is

1) the focus on the number on the scale
    - for me my solution is that I'm trying to check the mirror, clothes sizes, body fat% and measurements instead

2) an end goal of a specific weight on the scale
    - I'm changing my goals to achievements ...I've mastered the push-up, next one is pull-ups

3) an end to the journey
    - there is no end in sight for me this time, that's where I have stumbled and fallen over each time ...I'm planning on continuing to weigh and log food to maintenance calories

I've never done it this way before, but then I've never had 7 months of success and still not felt like crashing and burning

I have committed to me, and I'm kinder to myself..a stumble isn't an end, it's just a pointer to recommit to me

Try it
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have to just jump in and do it. Take each day as it comes and commit to yourself. I find pre-logging keeps me on track. Good luck!
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back on track now, after 18 months of not logging and gaining back 30 of the 40 lbs I lost with MFP. I'm on day 6 in a row of tracking. We know how to do it.The hard part is getting started again.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Rlavigne93 wrote: »
    I dunno, I've just had a few terrible months. Since October I've been overeating and not exercising enough. I had a high school reunion ii October, so I figured it was just stress from the, but I still can't seem to stop shoving food in my face. Lately I've been struggling not to gain back too much. I feel like crap, and am back to my pre-MFP weight.

I suppose I'm just asking for some advice on how to get back into the swing of things. I have a tendency to want to punish myself for overeating once day, so the next I end up overeating again becuase I don't eat breakfast or lunch. I realize it's stupid and harmful, yet I do it anyways. Ugh, I dunno, just ugh. Maybe I just needed to vent or find some more friends for suppost.
    It's great you see that tendency. Now you can change it. Make breakfast and lunch non-negotiable, if it keeps you from night binges. Make them super healthy and light instead of skipping them, so you're accomplishing a little of the 'penance' you feel you want.

When you're 'on plan', are you super strict? That can make getting back on plan really hard. Try a new plan, something less restrictive.

Pick up a new toy for motivation-- a Fitbit or a new gym membership or something.

Make small, achievable goals at first-- one day of meeting your goals is a good start.

Don't think in terms of 'all or nothing', 'forever or never'. Take it one day at a time and don't punish yourself for bad days. Make each morning a fresh start.

Good luck!

• slpecho
    slpecho Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find that simply starting back logging my food is the easiest way to get back on track. Especially if I've just totally stopped eating healthy and quit exercising. The more I can see what choices I'm making, even bad ones, I'm more motivated to start changing other parts of my health as well. Slow reintegration to changing everything...one thing at a time.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs last year-but put it all ++ on this fall. No logging and no exercise.
    Now I'm back to logging and exercise and weight is slowly going down again.
    You did it once-you can do it again.
  • meghaycox
    meghaycox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I got a new job and moved out of my parents' place in August and have put on about 10kg! I'm only on day two but am looking forward to getting back into the gym (although I'm a dud and twisted my ankle the other day!) and MFP.

Here's to a happier and healthier 2015 and getting back to where we were with all our hard work last time we tried!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise seems to solve all problems. If I overeat, I can make up for it (within reason) on the bike. And if I go out for a two hour ride, that's two hours I'm not sitting in the house stuffing food in my mouth. On top of that, the natural high that comes from exercise is addicting. Right now is a great time to be exercising outside. The cold weather causes us to burn more calories and it also triggers the generation of brown fat, which burns more calories even when we aren't exercising. I'm not sure how to tell someone to get past not doing it, but the Nike slogan seems appropriate, "Just do it!"
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Today is my day one back to the grind, heading back to the gym for the first time since Sept. You have to just make a plan and JUMP! Shake of the bad days, start with a clean slate every day...and remind your self that the decisions you make will determine your success. So go over one day, and then remind yourself that you can undo some of the "damage" that you did (by eating a little less the next day, or less over the course of a week). You've done it before and you can do it again, just remember that!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I gained back 43 of the pound I lost so I am in same boat and starting fresh today
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The old adage of "One day at a time" really works. So you screwed up today, take a deep breath and recognize what you did, then tomorrow don't do that. If you talked yourself out of breakfast, think "why?". did you not leave yourself enough time? did you just blow it off because you didn't feel like it? If so - take a step to correct it. wake up a few minutes earlier or prepare something the night before you can just zap or eat cold. The power is within yourself - you just have to want it bad enough.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I stepped on the scale this morning and expected it to be bad but it was much worse than I thought. Yikes. It's been since about October for me too.

Anyway, I certainly don't have all the answers but I do really try to think about what I'm doing and what isn't working...I have about 30 to loose and in the past I've just said X is my goal weight and shoot for that.

What I'm planning to change is making my goal a bit easier to achive...I'm going to loose 20 pounds and then challenge myself to just maintain that for a while...months probably. Then I can take the time to really appreciate that accomplishment before I refocus on that last 10 that are the hardest. Maintaining is really my downfall, so I think I need to focus on learning to do that before pushing myself to my ultimate goal weight.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    First of all, know that you're not alone, and know that you are not a failure. You, like the rest of us are human. We make mistakes, and you've already taken the first steps of realizing that. Brava! Now, just take things one step at a time. Start keeping your food diary again, and drink an extra glass of water. Take a walk around the block (weather permitting). One little step at a time, and keep adding on to that. Just need to re-create the habits that got you down the pounds in the first place.

I'm not saying it's easy; it's obviously not. And I'm saying this as much for me as you and everyone else. I had lost 120 pounds. I've gained 20 of it back and was mad at myself because my wedding is in 2 months and I already have my dress, which now does not fit right. I was disappointed in myself. Hated myself. But then I realized that very attitude was only serving to make things worse. I am an emotional eater, and when my attitude is as poor as that, it just gets worse of course. I also have not been able to exercise like I was before due to first having shoulder surgery, and then now having been very sick for the past 7 weeks (including pulling muscles in my back from coughing). Excuses? I can't let myself use them as that. I just need to do what I can, WHEN I can. I finally felt well enough to do a silly Walk Away the Pounds video today. But it was *something*.

Take care of yourself, OP. Anytime you need support, we are all here. I'm willing to bet almost everyone who's lost a substantial amount of weight has been in our shoes. We just need to reset ourselves. Will we fail again? No, because we didn't fail in the first place. Will we make mistakes again? Of course we will, because we're human. But love yourself anyway, and pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and hold your head high, knowing that you've had the positive results before, and you WILL have them again.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Just do it; that's all. I saw a comparison here the other day "if you get a ticket for speeding, do you decide 'well, I've blown it already; I might as well break the law all day now'?"
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just do it; that's all. I saw a comparison here the other day "if you get a ticket for speeding, do you decide 'well, I've blown it already; I might as well break the law all day now'?"

SOOOOO true! The best thing to do is just start doing right. You may not have a perfect first day but you're on the right path.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    In my case, what I did to get back on track is I started using a smaller plate and told myself that portion ismy right kind of size. I should eat at that amount everyday and no putting another tablespoon of food on it but just sticking to that my kind of right amount. :D
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    During your past week, you only had one bad day. There were several days that you were under 1200 calories as well. Also your profile pic (if current) is not bad at all. As far as getting on track, You sort of just have to recommit and just do it. Really, I think you are doing just fine if not under eating. (Under eating several days will actually work against you in the long run. If you are within your ideal weight range, try doing some resistance (weight) training to firm up your muscles and sculpt the body you crave. Best wishes on every success.
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I was doing great before the holidays, but I am having a hard time with overeating now.