Throwing in the towel

Options
Throwing in the towel...on my "know it all" thinking about weightloss. I'm a life long dieter who thought I knew it all. Finally threw in the towel on my own thinking and have sought the guidance from professionals. Now on a physician supervised program. Relearning what I thought I knew about nutrition, exercise, and sleep (as I write this at 1:45am). Looking for all the support that I can get.

Replies

• FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    friend request and invite to join our inspirational group both sent...
  • tubehappy
    Options
    Thanks!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What new things have you learned then against what you previously thought were true?
    Lifelong dieter sounds dull.

Considering your profession, then id have thought you would have known how to learn about weight loss and just implemented a well thought out common sense plan. The type that's constantly sugested on MFP. If it wasnt knowledge, then maybe it was just your implementation and focus. Good luck with the supervised plan and I assume its not something you have tried before, so its different from previous efforts.
  • 1st I'd like to congratulate you, with understanding; that we don't always know it all & also for not being too proud/to seek professional help!

2nd I'll caution you as well, that a doctor's solutions to your problems; mostly stem from the information you provide/about yourself. Basically meaning that no one knows you/your body, better than you do; they don't always have the answers for your questions either. So still continue to be your own health advocate, trust your own instincts as well; even if/when they don't coincide with an expert's opinion, advice and/or order.
  • tubehappy
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What new things have you learned then against what you previously thought were true?
    Lifelong dieter sounds dull.

Considering your profession, then id have thought you would have known how to learn about weight loss and just implemented a well thought out common sense plan. The type that's constantly sugested on MFP. If it wasnt knowledge, then maybe it was just your implementation and focus. Good luck with the supervised plan and I assume its not something you have tried before, so its different from previous efforts.

Hi 999tigger. Yes being a lifelong dieter has been a real drag but it has been my reality. Rather than helping me, my profession is one of the main culprits that has prevented me from reaching my weight loss goals. Putting project deadlines as a priority over my own health. Not realizing the importance of sleep and not skipping meals has reeked havoc on my metabolism. Thinking that I have a slow metabolism and knowing from testing has been an eye opener for me, thus making it a fact and a problem that I have to solve. The physician supervised plan has kept ME on my schedule of things to do, and is keeping me accountable to someone other than myself. The first month and a half we have solely focused on repairing my metabolism not concerned with losing weight, which is fine with me because I am looking for lifelong solutions. Thank you for your well wishes.
  • tubehappy
    Options
    1st I'd like to congratulate you, with understanding; that we don't always know it all & also for not being too proud/to seek professional help!

2nd I'll caution you as well, that a doctor's solutions to your problems; mostly stem from the information you provide/about yourself. Basically meaning that no one knows you/your body, better than you do; they don't always have the answers for your questions either. So still continue to be your own health advocate, trust your own instincts as well; even if/when they don't coincide with an expert's opinion, advice and/or order.

Thank you. I absolutely agree. Listening to my body led me to this doctor.I have spent the past year and a half trying to get a stomach pain diagnosed. I've had x-rays and CT scans done as well. Internal medicine Doctors have not been able to find anything. I've also gained a lot of belly weight over the past year and a half that i have not been able to get off, so I thought that the pain may be weight/diet related. Over the past month after seeking help with a weight loss physician and following some knowledge based instructions, I finally have some relief. My main goal going in to this is to be completely honest with my doctors and to myself. I know that it is the only way for me to learn what I need to know to move forward beyond this program. Please realize that I use the term "program" very loosely. It's not a packaged meal plan, take this pill, or a you have to "eat this" type of "diet". I have met not only with my doctor but with nutritionist, a psychiatrist, and exercise psyiologist as well. This has helped me understand how the timing and combinations of foods affect my metabolism, the importance of taking care of ME, and finding the exercises that work best for me and my body type. This may not be the plan for everyone but it is helping me to focus on my health as a whole. I am just now starting to lose some weight I hope to remain consistent and patient.
  • ThatGirlAleee
    Options
    Everyone has the power to do what they want. It just takes that one little moment in life or that one person in your life to remind you that in fact you CAN do it! Have a little faith in yourself and don't forget to smile! You go girl
  • tubehappy
    Options
    Everyone has the power to do what they want. It just takes that one little moment in life or that one person in your life to remind you that in fact you CAN do it! Have a little faith in yourself and don't forget to smile! You go girl

Thank you! Always great to hear that!
  • tubehappy wrote: »
    1st I'd like to congratulate you, with understanding; that we don't always know it all & also for not being too proud/to seek professional help!

Thank you. I absolutely agree. Listening to my body led me to this doctor.I have spent the past year and a half trying to get a stomach pain diagnosed. I've had x-rays and CT scans done as well. Internal medicine Doctors have not been able to find anything. I've also gained a lot of belly weight over the past year and a half that i have not been able to get off, so I thought that the pain may be weight/diet related. Over the past month after seeking help with a weight loss physician and following some knowledge based instructions, I finally have some relief. My main goal going in to this is to be completely honest with my doctors and to myself. I know that it is the only way for me to learn what I need to know to move forward beyond this program. Please realize that I use the term "program" very loosely. It's not a packaged meal plan, take this pill, or a you have to "eat this" type of "diet". I have met not only with my doctor but with nutritionist, a psychiatrist, and exercise psyiologist as well. This has helped me understand how the timing and combinations of foods affect my metabolism, the importance of taking care of ME, and finding the exercises that work best for me and my body type. This may not be the plan for everyone but it is helping me to focus on my health as a whole. I am just now starting to lose some weight I hope to remain consistent and patient.

You're very much welcome/take care & good luck to you as well!