B12 as a weight loss tool?

Options
Hi all, guessing this might start a heated discussion, but I can't find much info on this. I picked up some B12 a few months ago. I took a individual pills (5000 mcg that dissolve on your tongue) and meh, it didn't really do anything.

But yesterday, after a tough workout, I was exhausted and took two B12 along with my multivitamin.

WOW, what a huge boost it gave me. Within an hour I felt great (and I mean GREAT). After researching it looks like that's WAY over the recommended dose of something like less than 10mcg a day. I researched and the only negative I found about taking so much is that it could affect the absorption of other B vitamins.

Has anyone else had experience with B12? Any reason not to continue taking it?

Replies

• MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that taking excessive amounts of vitamins is a bad idea. You can ask your doctor to order some lab work and they can test your B12 levels. Then, if you are low or deficient, the doctor can advise you on the what/when/how much. Just my thoughts.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's not a weight loss tool. It's a vitamin.

Calorie deficit is your one and only tool for success.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am a pescetarian and consume Nutritional Yeast daily (it's high in B12). However, my B12 is super high and my doctor advises me to stop...however I can't seem to...it's just so damn yummy. I've cut down though.
    As far as a weight loss tool - I don't think it'll do anything for you anyways and you might as well stop taking the pills or get advice and take a recommended dose after you get some blood work done.
    Good luck
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have to get B12 injections every couple of months because I don't absorb it from food. But it doesn't help with weight loss only energy levels. But personally I wouldn't take've over the RDA, you don't even really need the supplements if your diet contains things like eggs, dairy and meat etc as you should absorb all the B12 you need from them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This doesn't help with weight loss, its a vitamin. Caloric deficit for weight loss.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had a B-12 deficiency in my blood work. Doctor recommended 500mcg daily. It helped me. Pharmacist friend said it helped me because I was lacking. The body absorbs what it needs and flushes out the rest.
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A weight loss tool not to burn fat, but for energy when I'm tired and craving food as a way to boost energy levels
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I take B12 and vit D because I was deficient in both (somewhat in B12, very much in D). I started taking them in August. I lost weight before, I am still losing weight now. I never noticed any massive upswing of energy either, though I do feel better in general, but that has happened gradually and I attribute it to the 120+ lbs I've lost.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You can't really draw a conclusion off of one day's experience.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If you have a legitimate deficiency, it may help, because a main symptom of pernicious anemia is fatigue which may hinder your exercise goals.

However, if you are NOT deficient in B 12, I'm going to go with placebo effect.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    This doesn't help with weight loss, its a vitamin. Caloric deficit for weight loss.

This. If it was as easy as taking a vitamin we would all be thin.
  • gigmaster
    gigmaster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A weight loss tool???? No.

Your boost was probably because you were B12 depleted. Taking more vitamins does no good, because once you get the correct amount in your system, the rest just goes right on out. Few vitamins can be stored by the body, and most oxidize rather quickly. Fat soluble vitamins, such as A, D,E, and K can be stored for short periods of time in fat cells, but the rest are water soluble, and are quickly metabolized. You can only store so much, and any excess is simply eliminated, so taking a lot of anything does no good.

The only way to lose weight is to use more calories than you take in. There is no 'Secret Weapon', or 'Magic Bullet' that will make you lose weight any better. Simply make good food choices, watch your caloric intake, and get some exercise. Also, drinking plenty of water (at least 8 glasses per day) and getting plenty of rest will help with weight loss.