Kicking the coffee with creamer habit!!!

13»

Replies

• hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Unfortunately black coffee and black tea stain teeth. No cream = stain. It is a trade off, but might as well know that. (dental hygienist here)
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    I was going to kick my coffee with cream and sugar habit but got over it. I add it into my calories and plain powder creamer is only like 10 cals a tsp and sugar is 15. I am still losing weight anyway. I don't snack much if at all so I don't worry about it. I may cut out or cut down a lot of things but I am keeping my coffee.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    I can't drink black coffee. I just don't like the taste so I am like you I have to have some coffee with my cream. I've been only having coffee on the weekends as a treat. During the week, I stick to tea as I don't need cream in it. You might want to try that.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    I went cold turkey off of coffee & the headache only lasted 2 days. After, I did go back to decaf, because I like the taste. I drink it with whole milk on days that I have oatmeal for breakfast. If I have something higher calorie for breakfast, I'll drink it black with sweet n' low. It works for me. I used to drink cups and cups of caffeinated coffee with bottles of creamer.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    I'm not sure why, but in the last few weeks I've lost the taste for coffee. It's kind of bizarre because I used to drink 2-3 cups a day! I want to still love it. I love the smell of it. I love the idea of it. But when I pour a cup (and I'm a creamer and splenda girl) it is rarely worth the calories to me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I used to drink coffee with 1-2 creamers and 2 splendas. I cut the creamer 1/2 at a time, then I cut the splenda. I didn't like the taste at first, until I started adding a little water to my coffee. Seriously- I make a cup at work (6-8 oz), then I add 2-3 oz of cold water. It brings it to drinkable temperature AND dilutes the bitter taste. If you make it with espresso, it's called an Americano.

I also have a Mr. Coffee Latte maker. From time to time I make coffee lattes with vanilla soy milk. It comes out to being 100 calories of soy milk, which I can afford.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    The caffeine, the creamer, the coffee, even the habit of drinking coffee are all different things. When I gave up pop I purposely took an OTC headache tablet with caffeine. This let me get off the habit of drinking pop and the desire for the sugar without dealing with the headache. It was pretty easy to then give up the caffeine. It didn't take long.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Not giving up my coffee with creamer and sugar at the moment. Easy to budget that in. I did cut down to 1 cup a day though.
  • jlmatthew71
    jlmatthew71 Posts: 15 Member
    Why would anyone put anything in coffee? black is the only way to drink it! ;-)
  • wife2bo
    wife2bo Posts: 58 Member
    Why would anyone put anything in coffee? black is the only way to drink it! ;-)

You sound like my husband lol (eyes rolling) ;)
  • CvJ626
    CvJ626 Posts: 6 Member
    :# reading this thread makes me crave my coffee even more! LoL. I could never give up my liquid gold. I'm the same as well, a little coffee with my cream. Good luck to you because this is a hard habit to break. Let us know if you come up with a tasty, low calorie, sweet cup of joe.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited January 2015
    I like 1% milk and a packet of sweetener in mine. Not giving it up.

I also used to drink large amounts of creamer.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I went from a lot of creamer (the fatty sugary flavored kind) to just a splash of 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee just by first, using the 1/2 & 1/2 only, then slowly reducing the amount. I realized I didn't need much to cut the acidity of the coffee and now I enjoy my coffee even more.
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    edited January 2015
    You've gotten plenty of great ideas for cutting back on creamer. As far as cutting back on coffee altogether, I did so by using a smaller mug (if there's not as much coffee in front of you, you won't drink as much) and then switching to half caf. I still drink two mugs of coffee a day - I just switched from a 15oz mug to 10oz, and it's only half the caffeine! As long as you cut back slowly you shouldn't have any withdrawal either.
  • wife2bo
    wife2bo Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    I use Truvia ( stevia which is more natural than artificial sweetners) and 2% milk. I have two cups every morning and it sets me back about 37 calories. One packet of Truvia and 1\8 cup 2% per cup. I used to load mine up with sugar but now I can't stand sweet coffee. I have given up cokes but I will NEVER give up my coffee!