30 Day Shred causing knee pain?

Options
Hey all you Shredders!
Just wanted to find out if any of you had experienced knee pains towards the end of the Shred. I am on day 27 and my knees get so stiff and I never had the problem before I started the Shred. I also know how to treat them, so I never mistreat my knees and follow all the workouts as I should to protect my knees.
Anyone else experience this too?
Thanks!
~Heather

Replies

• lissa71
    lissa71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have so I have been doing it every other day vs daily - but mine started like at day 3....
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Oh noooooo :( I have the shred but I've not started yet and I suffer from a knee injury.

In answer to your question - one of my friends has had issues with her knee since shredding, but I think she's only just into level 2.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey all you Shredders!
    Just wanted to find out if any of you had experienced knee pains towards the end of the Shred. I am on day 27 and my knees get so stiff and I never had the problem before I started the Shred. I also know how to treat them, so I never mistreat my knees and follow all the workouts as I should to protect my knees.
    Anyone else experience this too?
    Thanks!
    ~Heather

One little trick I have is I went to Walmart and bought a $35 trampoline. I use the trampoline for ANY of her moves that have jumping in them. Your heart rate will still sky rocket and its MUCH easier on the joints. I wouldn't be able to do it at all with out my trampoline!
  • Corivk
    Corivk Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been doing 30-Day Shred for 6 months or so and have found that I can't do it everyday and avoid knee pain. My dr told me that it's hard to do the exact same workout for days and days since you're working the exact same muscles, etc. Once I cut down to doing it 3 times a week or so, I was fine! HTH!
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    I've had knee issues for a long time now, but "The Shred" is certainly hard on those joints. JM LOVES the lunges and squats! Stretching helps work the stiffness and doing alternate activites will help too. After you get through your month, maybe try alternating your workouts with something else to give those joints a break. Also, fish oil REALLY helps!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your quadriceps are weak. By strengthening your legs, you will strengthen (and protect) your knees. If you haven't done much exercise before doing the workout video, that would be a good reason why you've never had a problem with your knees (you weren't working them like you are now).
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yep! I had knee paint the whole time. Now, I can't do it while I'm running longer distances. Seems to be a common complaint.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your quadriceps are weak. By strengthening your legs, you will strengthen (and protect) your knees. If you haven't done much exercise before doing the workout video, that would be a good reason why you've never had a problem with your knees (you weren't working them like you are now).

I agree. Strengthing by doing leg raises and lifts should help over time.
  • sexyprincess69
    Options
    OMG me to. I am having the same problem since I stared the program. I to is on Day 27 level 3 day 7. I still feel the pain however I am still working thru it. Have you seen any results, because I have not.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes I had to stop. I was very happy doing it but the plank exercises were killing my knees. I think I am too heavy.

Although the results were amazing, I dont want to risk permanent injury.
  • jessika1110
    jessika1110 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never had knee pain but I did start having major back pain. Now, I'm not positive it was related to the Shred, as I only was able to do it 11 days (finished the first stage and had done 1 day of the second stage). The pain was so intense that I had to go to physical therapy and had swelling around my spinal cord. I've had back problems in the past before, so that's what I attributed it to but I am curious if anyone else had any back pain doing the 30 Day Shred?
    6293923.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Never had knee pain before doing the 30DS...and now...I have it all the time. I went and bought a knee strap that I wear when I work out to help support the knee during lunges and squats!!! I did all 30 days in a roll!!! It's not easy but I saw great results!!!
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have a huge amount of knee pain, then again I have very bad knees and using them a lot can bother them, there are so many lunges and squats in there! I have started using sportscream one them before I do it and I wear a brace most of the day
  • yazminetw
    yazminetw Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had problems with my knees as well with the lunges. I follow Anita for lunges and squats by not going as deep into the move. It helped. Also, instead of stepping forward with my lunge I always step backwards (reverse lunge). An alternative to a lunge is to step up on a chair/step and back down. That took all the pressure off of my knees but I found that a chair was too high for the quick repetitions.

Strengthening the legs muscles may help. My leg muscles are strong but I have had knee problems since running track in high school. The doctor told me that bike riding (outside or stationary) helps with knee issues.
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Be good to your knees... I tore my ACL last year and have really learned to listen to my body. If your knees are hurting, give them a rest for a day or so... if you don't listen to your body, it could make it much worse ... trust me...
  • heathera1980
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone but sorry that you have all dealt with sore knees. I even completed 2 1/2 months of P90X and didn't have ANY problems at all. I quit P90X because of the hour long workouts and began to really hate the workouts. Now I see why they were hour long, they were brutal but gentle on all body parts.
    Thanks again!