Contemplating Vegetarianism

Options
2»

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I phased meat out over the course of a year, first not eating mixed meat dishes (ie- a bacon cheese burger) then no meat and cheese in the same meal, then meat only once a day, then once a week, then no red meat at all, then no land animals at all, and lastly no fish.

i did however give up pork really early on, for emotional reasons. (the wonderpig on youtube stole my heart)
  • makeupandthings
    Options
    If you like to cook this blog has wonderful recipes: http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/

And this cookbook is my new favourite: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Way-Eat-Anna-Jones/dp/0007516703

Lots of great ideas, different ingredients and combinations.

I've been a vegetarian for one year and to be honest I don't really miss meat but I also made the switch to cook my own food from scratch when I turned vegetarian, I don't think I could have done it just based on my previous meat based recipes and replacing with meat substitutes.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try Happy Herbivore. The website has recipes that are vegan and fairly cheap to make.
  • Whoops been a while since I have been online! Thank you lots of really helpful sources there! so far settled on reducing meat and making more vegetarian and vegan choices. Working well so far just need to concentrate on keeping my veggie intake up!
  • CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for a long time. Normally I eat a ton of veggies and try to put at least a bit of protein in there, too. I would suggest eating tofu, beans, eggs, cheese, yogurt etc. Fish is not vegetarian, but very healthy and maybe an option for you.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    8th day on Oxford Road is good, they have a nice cafe, but it's easy to spend a lot in the shop, haha. Cheap fruit and veg stall across the road near MMU too. For tofu (many types) and sauces, spices etc, the asian supermarket can be good. There's one in Ancoats and one on the road parallel to Oxford Rd near the car showrooms. I've become vegetarian recently and like 'Isa does it' it's vegan, but doesn't have too many weird unobtainable ingredients, except for liquid smoke perhaps. The recipes are really tasty and obviously, no cheese.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If you won't be eating meat, then you will need beans as a main protein source. Look up recipes for beans entrees. There are a ton out there. Some are: Vegetarian black bean chili, Vegetarian Black Bean Soup, Easy Red Beans and Rice, Vegetarian Lentil Soup, Vegetarian Split Pea Soup (use liquid smoke to get the smoky flavor that usually comes from smoked meat), Split Pea Dhal, black bean salad, Succulent White Beans, Stirfried Tofu, etc.
  • kay182
    kay182 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 5 years. My typical day is oatmeal, based on recipes here: http://www.theoatmealartist.com/

Lunch is a spinach salad with grapes and goat cheese, or leftovers for dinner. Or eggs w/ toast and veggies if I'm home on the weekend.

Dinner can be beans, veggies, rice, quinoa, etc. Lots of one pot meals. Feel free to friend me for ideas!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If I try to do vegetarian, I dream about meat.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan for almost four years now, and was a vegetarian for about a decade before that.

If you're not very interested in cheese, then I'd suggest looking into the Asian recipes - ivu.org/recipes is one of my favorite resources for delicious and flavorful vegan recipes. You can also consider big hearty salads, vegetable stir fries with tofu, tempeh, or seitan, oatmeal with protein powder and peanut butter (a personal fave, and sticks in my stomach like a brick!). I also love tofu scramble with lots of veggies and a baked sweet potato or roasted veggies on the sides. For inspiration, I'd suggest:

www.happyherbivore.com
    www.ivu.org/recipes
    www.blog.fatfreevegan.com

Oh She Glows and the Post Punk Kitchen also have great recipes, but they can be a little more complicated - I like to make big batches of their recipes on the weekends and bring them into work for lunch.

I love being vegan, and if you're willing to put a little extra effort into what you're eating, you might find that you love it too. I know that my soul is happier eating in a way that my conscience is cool with :)

Feel free to add/message me for support and ideas! Always happy to help fledgling herbies :)
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you really want to go for it. Engine 2 is a really great plan to follow. Whole Food Markets are doing a national campaign right now. Free classes and stuff. Good luck with whatever you choice. Engine 2 website has a free digital book you can upload.