"Off" days

Options
Do any of you guys have off days where you allow yourself to eat whatever, but, you know, within reason? Once a week, twice a month, etc? How often do you allow yourself off days if you have em?

Megs

Replies

• breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do. I'm not sure if I should, but I do. If it's a holiday or a party I let myself eat the things I normally don't...but you have to keep portion control in mind.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't have a set day or date that I do it. I can feel when my body needs a day off and that is when I do it. Sometimes it is only once a month other times it is once a week. But I think it is important that way I don't totally blow it and binge on everything that I haven't had.
  • mertheg01
    mertheg01 Posts: 19
    Options
    Once a week I have a meal that is not on my diet. But the quilty part of me takes affect and I portion the meal, plus I scale down on my eating the rest of the day. I tend to add a little to my exercise routine that day as well. But it feels good to keep a little of the "normal" life each week.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I do from time to time and it's also not scheduled. It's usually spontaneous ("let's go to the fair!") and almost always because my family wants to do something or eat somewhere that I normally wouldn't consider when dieting. So I say "what the heck" and enjoy myself because having a good time with my family is more important than one day's efforts. The next day, I go back to eating the way I know I should.
  • megs21912
    megs21912 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing...not be on some type of schedule, but, every once and awhile. There's a lot of food trailers around town (I live in Austin) and I want to go try them. They have small portions - yay! :)
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    Yep, I do.

Its date night for me :) I only do one meal though, and though I eat stuff I normally wouldnt, I try to do extra exercise (though Im still almost always over after date night!)

I treat my calories like my bank account on normal days - can I afford it?
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I definitely do take "days off". However, I keep my calories at or just below the amount of calories to "maintain" my current weight. While trying to lose the weight, I stay at 1200 calories a day. When I see the scale not moving much, I increase the calories but within reason. For example, for my current weight, to simply "maintain" and stay where I am, caloric intake would need to be at 2200 per day. So, I make sure I stay below that but intake more than the 1200. I do that for maybe a couple of days and then go back down to the 1200, and suddenly, I see the scale start to move again!! Works everytime!! So yes, take a day off now and then. Listen to your body and how you feel. I do the 1200 calories for about 5 days and then increase for 2 days and then back down. Works for me! Plus, I get to eat things I don't get to when doing 1200 a day. Helps with the cravings too!! Good Luck to you!!!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I typically take Saturdays totally off. I go to church and have the meal there afterward. It's too hard to try guessing what I'm eating (calorie wise), so I just don't even bother usually. I do try to make better choices than I once did though and take smaller portions with no seconds. And I eat dessert. I also have my shake in the AM on Saturdays, too, so it's a light breakfast.

My gym has short hours on Saturday, so I don't go that day... so the whole day is just an off day.
  • troythegeek
    troythegeek Posts: 47
    Options
    I try to add in a few meals a week that are the types of things I "used" to eat. However, I just don't eat the quantity that I was doing before. I would go nuts to just stop eating all those great tasting things that are bad for you, but I just try to moderate now. If I know that I want pizza for supper then I will plan breakfast and lunch to allow me to have enough calories to eat a couple slices of pizza later. it's not something I do often, but sometimes you just have a craving and getting a taste of those bad things helps me not go bezerk and just gorge on a weak day.
  • NRitzman
    NRitzman Posts: 2
    Options
    I not near my goal, having a long way to go. However, I know that if I am too strict with myself or set too many rules, that I just set myself up for failure. I am slowly and steadily losing weight. Weekdays I am very good about what I eat, proportions, etc. On weekends I relax a bit to eat out with my husband, order take out, out socializing, etc. I still try to make good choices, but I know I eat more on weekends (within reason). This is me personally- I just can't restrict myself too much or I will give up at the first sign of failure. I have had to learn that it is OK to splurge on occassion, that to not give up after some setbacks, to just get back on track. I used to not forgive myself and that would result in my giving up. Now, I am into healthy eating for long term and excercising, not just dieting. Mentally for me "dieting" is a nasty word. Making overall good decisions, accepting I am just a human being afterall who makes mistakes and just to try and do better overall has given me the most success. I know I will never be a swimsuit model, but I can pat myself on the back for making steady progress.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't allow myself a full day off I have a "cheat" meal. For me one day leads to 2 days and so on. So I go with a meal. It also allows me to enjoy family time and what ever meal my five year old daughter picks for that day!!