I dont know what to do....

Options
I've got my calorie intake under control, and now im working on getting an exercise routine schedule together... Ive been walking and doing Zumba, Turbo Fire, Hip Hop Abs..... Heres my thing tho.....
I know I need to focus on my upper arms, my sides under my arms (where my bra comes around) and my stomach... I see so many ppl who lose weight, and end up looking like a big PEAR!!! I am trying to avoid that at all costs! So do any of you have any suggestions on how to shrink my stomach??? sit ups???? I dont want to do to much and make it hard, cuz then ill just have a hard big belly! I just dont know what to doooooooooooooooooo lol

HELP!!!

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce but core exercises in general are good for the upper body
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You have to keep with the cardio to lose the fat and start weight training to build the muscle. Not only will muscle make you look, feel better and stronger it will aid in calorie burn reducing the fat so the muscle can be exposed!
  • arabellastrange
    Options
    Zumba does a dvd that targets areas.I don't know how good it is though. I'm getting it as I want to target upper body. Watching this thread for myself :) Thanks for posting.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I tackled those areas you mentioned by doing kick boxing!! If you have never done kick boxing before and are interested in checking it out, go out and buy "Kick Box Yoga Fusion" (by Trainer Patricia Moreno) It's cadio kick boxing and is a full body workout. You use your arms a lot which helps tone them without having to lift weights. The work outs are very easy to do and they are fun.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    In the words of Jamie Eason, "Great abs are made in the kitchen." Meaning you have to eat clean. I completely agree with alypri about the cardio and weight training.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    my daughter is a weight lifter a a girl she was training with had a 6 pack and every one was asking her how she got them she said sit ups just plain old sit ups but you don't have to do them to that extent just to firm you up
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    In the words of Jamie Eason, "Great abs are made in the kitchen." Meaning you have to eat clean. I completely agree with alypri about the cardio and weight training.

Yes good point! Diet really matters more than the exercise as far as that goes!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey - I'm one of those pears! For me - unforunately the fat around my hips and thighs is the last to go. I lose fat above the waistline first - it seems. It's not exercise - it's genetics.

Like other posters have said you can't spot reduce - but rather just firm up what you've got. Firmer abs (and a strong back) will make your midsection look much slimmer. Don't worry too much about becoming big and muscular - women just can't bulk up the way men can.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would try not to get too focused on certain areas. You can't spot reduce anyway - the fat will come off where it comes off. What you probably want to worry about is reducing fat while maintaining and even adding muscle if you can - but at least maintaning it. I would do cardio (in the form of interval training) and do weight lifting all over - not just the upper body. You want to keep any muscle you have (all over) and maybe even add more if possible. You don't want your metabolism to slow down from losing muscle. If I had to start all over again, the one thing I would do different is to start weight training from the beginning. I was so focused on losing the fat (all cardio) that I didn't realize that I was losing so much muscle too. So I tell anyone who will listen to be sure to include serious strength training in your plans. Good luck!!
  • MindyLynn77
    MindyLynn77 Posts: 126
    Options
    I dont go to the gym, so I guess I need to look up some stuff I can do with weights or strength training at home. Thanks for the replies you guys... I appreciate it :)
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you really should be working on your core. Yoga helps a lot with that, or you can try P90X!?!?! My arms have never been this defined in my life!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    I dont go to the gym, so I guess I need to look up some stuff I can do with weights or strength training at home. Thanks for the replies you guys... I appreciate it :)

Bodybuilding.com has lots of great info! As well as the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". Good Luck!