weighing in

Options
So I have done a lot of research on this and everything says depending on the type of person you are you can weigh daily, weekly, or monthly. I am the type of person where in the past any gain would set me back and yes I would be one of those that would throw my hands up and give up. So I am looking for input from everyone if you think that if I follow the calories I have been set to and exercise if you think it would be better for me mentally to just weigh in once a month. All thoughts are welcome!

Replies

• dutchi2010
    dutchi2010 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. How often do you plan to take your measurements? Measurement taking may fit your personalality better. Sometimes you lose inches even when the scale doesn't move. Good luck!

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    byvanzant wrote: »
    So I have done a lot of research on this and everything says depending on the type of person you are you can weigh daily, weekly, or monthly. I am the type of person where in the past any gain would set me back and yes I would be one of those that would throw my hands up and give up. So I am looking for input from everyone if you think that if I follow the calories I have been set to and exercise if you think it would be better for me mentally to just weigh in once a month. All thoughts are welcome!

Not really. My personal opinion is the best thing you can do for yourself is figure out how to get out of that self-defeating mental pattern. Avoiding weighing sounds like it may just put your giving up off by a few weeks. Aren't you just going to have the same reaction if you haven't lost enough after a month?

What I will credit as the source of my current success is growing the F*** up!! and stop having such an immature mentality towards my own health. For me this included breaking away from juvenile "I want it NOW" type expectations on weight loss, and changing what I perceive of as "success". I had to have a good long talk with myself about how silly I was being. Not saying this is the same for you, but it was the source of what caused me to "give up" in the past.

Eventually I made peace with the way this is likely going to actually work, and the answer is SLOWLY. Very slowly. Last year I lost 50 lbs. This year if I do that again I will be almost "normal" weight! Now that seems like rocket fast to me. Only a year!!!! The key has been I don't try too hard and don't make it like work. Being ok with going slow enables it to be easy- it's a positive feedback loop!!!

So to sum up, if you are sure you aren't just going to have the same bad reaction after a month when you get on the scale, then sure that option sounds like a good idea. Otherwise treat the issue not the symptom and figure out how to love yourself enough to give yourself permission to eat well and gradually get better. You are worth it!

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    If seeing a gain is going to be a problem for you, you should just weigh monthly at the same time every month.

I weigh weekly...that I record. But I actually weigh almost every day. Even on weeks when I lose (which is most weeks) I will often have days that make it look like I am gaining. And at least once every 5 or 6 weeks, I show a gain for the week. I know it is all just water fluctuations, so it doesn't bother me. But if that will bother you, you need to weigh less often.

I agree with the measurements suggestion. Consider weighing yourself once a month and measuring weekly. Even during the weeks when I show a gain on the scale I usually lose inches somewhere. Seeing progress on inches will provide positive feedback even without looking at a scale.

• gigmaster
    gigmaster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't weigh-in anymore. I broke the scale. Now I have to go to the truck scales on the highway..... :D
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale right now and shouldn't put so much stock in it myself, but I am human and a little OCD.
    I weigh right before I get in the shower daily. It hasn't budged in almost 5 weeks and it starts to really defeat me... on the other hand it keeps me accountable.
    You really have to do what your brain can handle. Can it handle disappointment if the scale doesn't change ? Can you measure the inches lost and not the pounds ? The numbers can cause a small illusion that you aren't losing by numbers when like others have said, you are losing inches.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but only record it weekly on Wednesdays. I measure weekly on Sundays and record. I have also found on weeks where the scale didn't move as much the measurements did. Not weighing because of a fear of gaining is just denial, IMO.
  • byvanzant
    byvanzant Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone you all make very valid points and I appreciate all the comments. I have decided to weigh in weekly because as you all have said it will hold me accountable...good bad ugly indifferent I will do it weekly...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh more or less daily, but I only log my weight once a week.