47 and the Healthiest I've Ever Been

Options
liltarn
liltarn Posts: 18 Member
2mja7je64vxe.jpg

So this is the photo of me, taken in October 2013, that started my journey to get healthier. Like so many others I knew I was a 'little' overweight but I was shocked to see this photo. With a strong family history of high blood pressure and heart problems I realized that I needed to do something.

I had stopped the gym due to the cost and although I walked quite a bit I knew I needed to do more, along with being more mindful of how much I was eating. I love my food so I didn't really want any restrictions so from a food point I just made sure I stayed within my daily allowance. I had previously used this site but only half heartedly. This time I was determined to make a change and logged most days except when my computer was playing up and I couldn't log in.

For exercise I started jogging. The first few weeks I would jog a lamp post, walk a lamp post between work and home which was just under 3km. It was hard work but I stuck at it and as it became slightly easier I increased how many lamp posts I was running between. By the middle of January of could slowly run 5km and discovered a love for running. I loved the mental and physical challenge of it. Last month I run my first 1/2 marathon in a time of 2 1/2 hours and will shortly up my running in preparation for another 1/2 in early April. The last few months I have added in some swimming and a couple of days of 30 day shred to tone up a bit but I have managed to maintain now for a couple of months with no tracking food and just checking my weight on the scales to make sure I don't slowly gain again.

I started at 74kg and now weigh 53kg. More importantly I am healthier and fitter than at any other time of my life. The after photos were taken a couple of days ago.

v55yfitlw827.jpg

66jg7wrrfbuf.jpg

(Sorry I'm not sure how to make the photos smaller)

Replies

• p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic well done
  • jay38063
    Options
    Looking good! Congrats. I'm 46 and found your post to be inspiring.
  • bmmorag
    bmmorag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Huge congratulations and very inspirational - I am in a similar place to yourself - I am 45 this year, about 3 stones overweight, already on BP tablets and with a family history of heart problems and expected longevity of mid sixties. I too walk a lot (with the dog) but do little else and have a sedentary job. I have run in the past (up to 5 miles) but gave up due to persistent niggling injuries - perhaps this is the year to get back on it? Plus my daughter got engaged over Christmas so I have a wedding to look good for!!!
  • anadoesit
    anadoesit Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress! Well done!
    I'm 46 and hope to write a post like yours in the coming years!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Brilliant. Look fab
  • jlmed
    jlmed Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look like a totally new person! Good job!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Great work! Congratulations!
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow! Nice job:)
  • Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    wow .. congratulations you have done amazingly well. Big pat on your back
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Great job :)
  • carolynrorie48
    carolynrorie48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starting my journey at 46 years old...never too old to begin. Will use this for inspiration
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation!
  • Linzer140fit
    Linzer140fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Nice work!!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job :)
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You look great!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Absolutely Awesome
  • Evelynnn2014
    Options
    You look beautiful! What an inspiration you are!
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! such a great role model :smiley:
  • MsWendyjc
    MsWendyjc Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration!
    Congratulations
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    All of your hard work has really paid off, you look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!