I never realized....

Options
I never realized how much weight I had gained in the beginning. Throughout my entire life, I was athletic. I was going from volleyball practice to hula (which surprisingly, burns a lot of calories!). But my true love is the ocean. I would surf every weekend with my dad. Eventually I switched over to the sport of outrigger canoe racing, and it took over my life. I was paddling 6+ miles a day and running another 5 miles after we got out of the water, 10 months out of the year. And I was eating like it. My friends called me the vacuum cleaner because I would eat all of their leftover foods during lunch. But with all the exercise I was doing I could afford it... This was me my senior year of high school (I'm the one on the left, next to my coach in the white shirt!):

q262hzzl6ge1.jpg

AND THEN I graduated from high school. Paddling went from 10 months out of the year to 5, and practices were less intense. I was expected to run on my own after we finished paddling... And did I? OF COURSE NOT! I wanted to go out with my friends instead... BUT there was a BIG PROBLEM... I was still eating like I was paddling 6+ miles and running 5 miles every day... And so the weight kept creeping up... I didn't really pay attention to how much weight I was gaining. Yeah, I had to buy bigger clothes, but it didn't bother me. I didn't think I looked that big in the mirror. And then one day, I took this picture with my family: (I'm in the sunglasses!)

xnsp48rprtz6.jpg

It wasn't until I saw this picture that I went, HOLY SH**! YOU ARE GETTING FAT! This picture was about 2 years after I graduated. I finally stepped on the scale... In high school I was anywhere between 130-140, depending on the season. At my very heaviest, I was 185... :o I knew it needed to change, but it took a while to finally figure it out. I would go between losing weight, and then I would think it would get to hard, and I would quit, and then I would be ashamed and I would try again. I swear to you, I've probably made like six different myfitnesspal accounts. For this one (the one that finally stuck!) I had to actually create a new email because I had used all my other ones!

But last year, I buckled down. I finally caved and got a gym membership (I was one of those people who owned like 20 different fitness DVDS). But the gym finally made me accountable. I fell in love with lifting, and I started cooking my own food (instead of always eating "healthy options" at restaurants/fast food, which often times have much more calories than the nutritional information says). My boyfriend helped me by going to gym and eating healthy foods with me (even though he has no need to lose weight!). I am so proud of what I have done, even though sometimes I still feel like I'm fat... But that's a mental thing! Today, my cousin posted this picture of us with our grandparents and I just had to smile! Sometimes I forget that I've lost 45bs, and am down to a size two... (a size that I actually haven't been since I was in middle school!) (I'm in the pink at the end BTW!)

4w9moj09d0vy.jpg

Having a success story is great, and I hope and pray that everyone on myfitnesspal will soon have their own success story!

PS I am finally going back to paddling this summer, something I had to stop because of work, and you have no idea have freakin' excited I am!

Replies

• MsHulkMN
    MsHulkMN Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is an amazing transformation!!!! Thanks for sharing! Keep it up!!!!
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Congrats :D
  • DeeRay101712
    DeeRay101712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow you look awesome! Great job! Success stories like yours keep me motivated :)
  • vivianausa
    vivianausa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose the weight? You look great!
    I currently weight 185 ( just had a baby), but during my pregnancy I gained 70lbs (220 lbs). I feel extremely sad about my body.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • ckmnacln
    ckmnacln Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @vivianausa i began losing weight about feb-mar of 2013, and then i gained some back, yo-yoed a bit, so i wasn't until about dec 2013 that i actually buckled down. by about august 2014, i was where i wanted to be, and have been able to maintain. i actually gained back like 5lbs BUT im like 2 sizes smaller at a heavier weight because i mainly focus on lifting/strength training now.

and there is no need to be sad about your body! you gotta love yourself at any size! because we love yourself, it'll be easier to lose weight... you gotta want to do it because you love you!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Good job!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!
  • vivianausa
    vivianausa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @getstrongkaylen‌
    Thank you!
    It's been a week watching my calories Ns running. However, my knees are so sore and hurt so much I can't run right now. I have lost a few lbs, but I have ways to go. I just wish I could run, but I have to understand my knees are out of shape and I may need to give them time to recover.
  • EachDayDoesCount
    EachDayDoesCount Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You did a great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!