I hate working out?

Options
I've been exercising 6 days a week for the past year or two and I am happy with my body and my weight, but lately, for some reason, I've been really dreading working out? I know it's normal and everything, but it's gotten to the point where I sit here procrastinating for HOURS and wasting time just to put off exercise! Once I'm done I'm always relieved and happy, but before and during I am absolutely miserable!

Is there any way for me to change my way of thinking towards this and actually start to LOOK FORWARD TO and ENJOY exercise?

Replies

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be just going to the gym. Try something fun like hiking, ice skating, dancing or climbing.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike last summer and use it to do errands and most traveling. I've saved money on subway trips and burned a ton of calories. Also, I started interspersing some of my boot camp/ full body workouts with dance - ballet, Salsa, Flamenco.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I get really excited for walking when I download a bunch of really great new music. I will do it periodically so that it energizes me for my walks and renews my enthusiasm. When on the stationary bike, I watch a TV series on Hulu on my smartphone. I will get myself hooked on a new series and only allow myself to watch it while on the bike. I hurry to workout just for the next episode.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Exercise doesn't have to be just going to the gym. Try something fun like hiking, ice skating, dancing or climbing.

yes and yes, need i say more
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should change what you are doing, exercise doesn't have to be grueling do you like dancing? Or walking? Maybe hiking? You burn calories doing all of those things, if you don't like what you are doing it's hard to stick with it.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Lily I am where you were two years ago. I felt like exercise was taking over my life. So I quit.

And gained 40 pounds over the last two years.

Back to the gym.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You should set a certain time each day to work out and then just make yourself do it. If it's time to exercise, then there's no procrastinating. Maybe even set your phone alarm to go off at that time so you don't forget. Otherwise if it's just "I'll exercise sometime tonight" you will keep putting it off.

I would suggest having more variety in your workouts. Boredom is a big problem for a lot of people and they don't want to keep doing the same thing over and over. I think you should stick to one workout for a month, and then switch to something else for a month. For the third month you could either go back to what you did the first month or do something entirely new. Another thing could be to sign up for a fitness class. In my area we have some popular kickboxing classes as well as various styles of martial arts (karate, taekwondo, Krav Maga, etc.). There is also dancing (Zumba or whatever style you enjoy) and skating (both roller and ice). Signing up for a class a few days a week would allow you to switch out from your regular routine on those days and you're less likely to get bored.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'd find something else to do. In fact, I'm in the process of same. My gym membership expires in April, and I hate going there so much that I have no intention of renewing. I'm forcing myself to go but I'm also trying some different things. I need a new habit!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are dreading it, change it up. Lots of good suggestions here. Try one or two and see how you feel.

There are days I procrastinate going out the door for my run. But I've signed up for some challenging runs this summer and I have to prepare. So accountability and an upcoming challenge keeps me moving. I think doing workouts six days a week to keep looking good might not have enough intrinsic value. See if you can sort out what intrinsic value beyond beauty and fitness, those workouts get you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Try something new, if for no other reason than to break up the monotony. You may even like it!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way - then joined a group fitness program. I'm way more motivated when I know the same(ish) group of people will be there, expecting me or at least noticing when I'm gone. Every day is different - and though it's sometimes hard, as I'm not as athletic as others that have been going for a long time, it's thoroughly enjoyable. It's easier for me to have trainers telling me what to do, too, gives me that extra nudge.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've lost motivation before and then I start to make excuses and really hate exercising. I took a break for a month only to find out how much I started to miss gym x3 I got my motivation back :)
  • jeanette526
    jeanette526 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of new at this (one year) and I work out with high intensity every other day. I figure my body AND my mind could take a break to recover. It's nice to get up some mornings knowing I have a day off and on the next work out day I actually look forward to it and can make the most of it. some things done to an extreme are difficult to sustain.
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I hate working out too and the only way I can push myself to do it is to remember the feeling of satisfaction I have when I'm done.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    Options
    Try going on the elliptical at the gym and watching a tv show while you do it. It makes it a lot less boring. Also you could switch your mode of exercise to just walking everywhere.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I also hate exercising but I have to admit that I feel so much better after doing it. I've been working at it for over a year now and I do like my gym; also seeing the same(ish) people has helped. I try to change up the classes to keep from getting bored, but I always include weight lifting because I like it the best.
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also hate the gym and lately I haven't even enjoyed walking! But I have found something that I love and burns a surprising number of calories - Ping Pong! The time flies when we play! If you have the room, I highly recommend it. And you don't have to be good at it to have fun either. The setup we got (which included everything needed) cost only $79. Best wishes!
  • varshy86
    varshy86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »

Take it from me, climbing is brilliant! You don't need to go so high if you're not comfortable with it, there's something for everyone! :)
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    I don't really like the gym either but I enjoy walks. I take my mp3, good walking trainers and I just wander around the city for a few hours.

When on the exercise bike, I watch bicycle workout videos.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Use your fitness to take up a sport. Pick a sport you had previously liked but thought you were too unfit to do it and join a local club. :)