Vegan Tips?

Options
I've been vegetarian since I was 17, about 7 years now. I really want to be Vegan and I'm trying to transition. I've given up most dairy now, with the exceptions of my two biggest weaknesses- ice cream and cheese. Anyone know of any good substitutes?
- Also does anyone know of any good vegan cookbooks or recipe sites?
- Thank you so much for any help!

Replies

• newcltkathy
    newcltkathy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any really good substitutes for cheese and ice cream. It's really hard to replicate them. There are some really good vegan books out there. Anything book by Isa Chandra Moskowitz is always a safe bet. I've never had a bad recipe from her. She also has a website, www.theppk.com.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I really love Swedish Glace soya ice cream available in several flavours including vanilla, raspberry, blueberry, neopolitan and chocolate. Bute Island Foods make vegan 'sheese' in a large variety of hard and cream cheese styles, the smoked cheddar is excellent. Can be bought from Tesco free-from section or from their website, buteisland.com
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    my favorite ice cream was Coconut Ice cream, that I found at Fred Myers (although I'm second guessing if it is vegan, I was just dairy-free/egg yolk free). Lately, I've just been taking coconut cream and fruit and pureeing it then freezing- it makes a lovely, creamy substitute. For cheese they have this rice cheese I've seen at Fred Myers, Trader Joe's, and even once at Walmart that actually melts like real cheese. I don't remember the brand though, but if you've got a Fred Myers/Trader Joe's near you have a look, they have some really good alternatives for cheese.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Errr am I being stupid ? so you have decided you do not want to eat any animal products but you do want to eat imitation animal products, is that correct ?
    If so why ?
    Do you eat imitation sausages, burgers etc. ?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Tings? Vegan-friendly cheetos, OMG--so good, but addicting! I haven't had them for years, but would probably buy a bag if I ran across them:)
    I can't remember if I tried soy dream or so delicious "ice cream" but I remember liking it.
  • BabyWeight821
    BabyWeight821 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Daiya cheese is really good, they sell it at whole foods. Ice cream is a lot harder to find a good alternative to but so delicious has some ice cream sandwiches which are good or I used to really like a brand called rice divine they had some really good fudge swirl ice cream cups but I don't see them at the store anymore.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I've had better luck making my own ice cream. There are tons of recipes out there. I think Daiya is the best of the cheese alternatives, and you have to be careful, a lot of soy based cheeses still have casein (why?) So irritating!
  • lhopex3
    lhopex3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Banana nice cream!! You'll love it. Freeze bananas when they are starting to brown..then when you are craving ice cream take them out and blend with a splash of almond milk and cinnamon/any other flavors you'd like!

For cheeses, there really is no substitute in my opinion unless you're filling up on awful additives and chemicals. Learn how to cook with nutritional yeast which has a cheesy flavor and is very good for you.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    banana nice cream is goooooood

rice dream vanilla ice cream is so damn good too so is the cocoa marble fudge one

daiya cheese is fab
  • lyle611
    lyle611 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know it's been said but want to cast my vote. Daiya makes the best cheese shreds. Placed in the microwave on the last 15 seconds of a Gardein burger or Boca burger and they melt and taste great. Field Roast is making a new Artisan cheese that I think are the most authentic slices out there. I've only tried the creamy original but it was so good. http://store.veganessentials.com/mobile/vegan-chao-cheese-slices-by-field-roast-p4350.aspx Parma has a good parmesan cheese substitute but if you're into making your own it's easy - nutritional yeast, walnuts, and salt to taste. The recipe is easily googled. Here's the first oneI found. https://alimentageuse.com/home/2013/12/02/vegan-walnut-parmesan/ This recipe adds oil but I like it without and can be made in small batches in a coffee grinder. I've also had the best luck making my own ice cream but the Tofutti butter pecan is my favorite store brand. Their other flavors are good too. My wife likes Rice dream. My wife and I have collected quite a few cookbooks over the last 12 years of being vegan but our favorites are Vegan Planet, Veganomicon, Vegan on the Cheap, and The Joy of Vegan Baking.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Luna and Larry coconut milk ice cream and SoDelicious coconut milk ice cream are both really good. I love ice cream and I think both are better than dairy based ice cream. I am not vegan, but my son is dairy and egg allergic and I've switched to his ice creams.

Cheese is a little harder. Daiya is ok, I think anyone that actually likes cheese will not be satisfied with Daiya or any of the other options on the market. Vegan cheese is just not the same as cheese. You may learn to like it, but I don't think you'll ever consider it a substitute for cheese. Daiya is the best, it is just not like cheese in anyway other than color.
  • asbrassard91
    asbrassard91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Count me in as another vote for Daiya. I have also used Tofutti slices but prefer the Daiya shreds to any other vegan cheese alternative. I also wanted to second the post that mentioned to check for casein in the ingredient list which is not vegan-friendly but is found in other imitation cheeses that are free of lactose.

I haven't tried many ice cream alternatives but blending up frozen bananas with some almond milk offers a yummy treat with a similar consistency. I like to blend mine with some cocoa powder or PB2.

Good luck with your transition! I too was vegetarian for over a decade and just went vegan last summer. I'm loving it so far!
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Yonana's machine for that ice cream, I also put strawberries, canteloupe, melon, any type of fruit you want, it's refreshing and a hell of a lot better than ice cream!
  • daklex
    daklex Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Check out onegreenplanet.org for some good recipes. We've been vegetarian for a few years but just went vegan for Veganuary. I was always addicted to cheese but after trying all of the dairy-free alternatives, I'm just doing without. For ice cream, I used to eat tofutti cuties, but I've not since going vegan. They're good but check the label

I think that if you let go of something needing to taste a certain way, you wont be disappointed in the vegan alternatives. For example, Field Roast is coming out with cheese but they're not calling them "cheddar cheese" or "mozzarella". They're not focused on setting an expectation and failing. They're just introducing you to something new. I'm excited to check them out. Not sure if they're on the shelves yet. But honestly, since I'm not smothering everything in cheese, I'm enjoying the tastes that I'm experiencing.

Good luck going vegan. I really haven't found it too bad. Also I've lost 7 pounds since starting. I know that this rate is not going to last, but cutting out dairy has made an enormous difference. And not drinking as much is a perk is that since I'm eating less, the alcohol definitely hits hard...I'm a cheap date. ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree about the coconut ice cream I had a few times from Fresh Market -- wish I could remember the brand. <3
    The coconut yogurt -- yuck. :'(
  • brittanysmith513
    brittanysmith513 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all of the information! I have tried the SOY Delicious ice cream with coconut milk but I hate coconut so it was awful lol. I'll have to go downtown to Whole Foods to try some of the stuff you guys have suggested. Again, thank you so much.

And @andysport1 yes I do. I love Boca's veggie burgers. Those are amazing especially with pepper jack cheese. I've never liked sausages, though. It's pretty simple why I would eat imitation stuff. You like the taste, but you want a healthy option that is not going to kill you or innocent animals. Meat/dairy free options are not only better for you, the animal but also for the environment as well!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since I was 17, about 7 years now. I really want to be Vegan and I'm trying to transition. I've given up most dairy now, with the exceptions of my two biggest weaknesses- ice cream and cheese. Anyone know of any good substitutes?
    Yes, bacon.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all of the information! I have tried the SOY Delicious ice cream with coconut milk but I hate coconut so it was awful lol. I'll have to go downtown to Whole Foods to try some of the stuff you guys have suggested. Again, thank you so much.

And @andysport1 yes I do. I love Boca's veggie burgers. Those are amazing especially with pepper jack cheese. I've never liked sausages, though. It's pretty simple why I would eat imitation stuff. You like the taste, but you want a healthy option that is not going to kill you or innocent animals. Meat/dairy free options are not only better for you, the animal but also for the environment as well!

Have you ever seen the by kill from a combine? The number of animals just simply shredded apart in those is amazing.