Bulletproof diet

Options
I have been reading about the benefits of grass fed butter, mct oil and clean coffee. Has anyone tried it? What type of results did you get?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You lose weight with a caloric deficit, something which I would find difficult to achieve with 450-calorie coffee. But there was a big thread about it in the food section.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Even though butter and coconut oil are awesome, the diet is BS. What's the deal with "clean" coffee, I hope that doesn't become a thing
    http://www.vox.com/2014/12/19/7416939/bulletproof-coffee
    http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/how-to-create-a-fad-diet/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, vinegar is good for cleaning out a coffee maker, if that means anything for clean coffee.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    MayTehSporksBeWithYou Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's just a way for the creator to make money, like most fad diets.

If you want to lose weight and stay healthy, eat a diet containing mostly whole foods, plenty of protein, and moderate amounts of fats (20-35% of your total calories) and stay away from fad diets like this. Oh and of course, consume fewer calories than you expend in a day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've looked into it. I just can't get my head around eating all those calories and losing weight. Doesn't make sense....
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My hubby drinks bulletproof coffee but he's on keto when he needs a long lasting burst of energy between meals, which he says it provides him. I tried it once, a long time ago, wasn't that impressed with it myself...
  • MuirinArcher
    MuirinArcher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are doing something like the whole30, it definitely works, but you miss out on a lot of things.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I avoid fad diets.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    What is clean coffee? I googled it and got tips for cleaning out my coffee pot o_0
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    What is clean coffee? I googled it and got tips for cleaning out my coffee pot o_0

I think-and someone can correct me if I'm wrong--clean foods are organic and sustainably raised. So it's more of an environmental/social justice thing than a health thing. I eat clean whenever I can afford it, but it's nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I think-and someone can correct me if I'm wrong--clean foods are organic and sustainably raised. So it's more of an environmental/social justice thing than a health thing. I eat clean whenever I can afford it, but it's nothing to do with weight loss.

I never knew I drank clean coffee. ;)

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a bulletproof coffee every once in a while. I'm satisfied until after 2pm if I drink one on my way to work in the morning, which is nice.

I used to have BPC 2-3x a week but it made me jittery.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with my dirty Dunkin Donuts.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Fad. Love my mud coffee.
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    I've tried it, but I used waaay less butter/MCT than is recommended to keep calories under control. (I refuse to believe that a full 2 tablespoons of butter is good for anyone). It is actually really tasty. When I drink my version of bulletproof coffee and a whey shake blended with half a banana for breakfast, I am satisfied and have no hunger or cravings until lunch. I am not expecting it to be some weight loss miracle. I just tried it because I wondered what all the fuss was about and ended up liking it.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've tried it, but I used waaay less butter/MCT than is recommended to keep calories under control. (I refuse to believe that a full 2 tablespoons of butter is good for anyone). It is actually really tasty. When I drink my version of bulletproof coffee and a whey shake blended with half a banana for breakfast, I am satisfied and have no hunger or cravings until lunch. I am not expecting it to be some weight loss miracle. I just tried it because I wondered what all the fuss was about and ended up liking it.
    Yeah, I only use 14g of grassfed butter and 14g of MCT oil and froth it up in my Nutribullet. Anything more than that is way too many calories and also too hard on my stomach. I also think it's tasty.

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd like to chime in that I drink bulletproofcoffee or tea/hot chocolate when I haven't eaten enough calories for the day, or am struggling to eat enough. It's a way of bumping up my calories for the day while also giving me extra grams of fat.

If you want to lose weight you will want a deficit; if you are otherwise eating conventionally (high carb, low fat) then you will want to avoid BPC, high fat & high carbohydrate will lead to the storage of fat cells, even if you would lose weight having a high BF% is possible within a healthy weight range, because of this unless you are following a high fat, low carb lifestyle then I suggest avoiding consuming BPC.