Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is it bad if I only eat about 1000 calories a day?

My trainer says that for my height and weight (5"6 and 220 lbs) I should eat about 1800 calories a day.
I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner... Yet usually average about 1000 calories a day, 1200 max.
I also exercise 3X a week.
TIA!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Eat more.
  • roseypdx
    roseypdx Posts: 12 Member
    You should try and stay at at least 1200 per most things I have read.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Do you know more about nutrition than your trainer? If not, then maybe you should try 1800 for a bit and see what happens.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Listen to your trainer.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Listen to your trainer. Eat more.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Yeah that's way too low. Your trainer is right.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Are you losing weight at a ferociously fast rate?
  • polarlove
    polarlove Posts: 72 Member
    you're maybe not counting calories properly? 3 proper meals plus 2 snacks should be way more than 1000 calories
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    polarlove wrote: »
    you're maybe not counting calories properly? 3 proper meals plus 2 snacks should be way more than 1000 calories

That's a good point, but I've seen people call some things meals that I would never call that.

OP maybe you could open your diary so we could offer better feedback.
  • Jpal21
    Jpal21 Posts: 1
    Hey Nique,

I too struggle to hit my daily requirements sometimes seeing as I have to consume 2186 calories and can only eat fat and protein. Wanna know what makes it easier? Buy a blender and turn some of your snacks/meals into a drink.

Most days my breakfast is:
    100ml milk
    50ml double cream
    3 eggs
    30g peanut butter
    half scoop of whey protein

That's about 700 calories. Done.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Listen to your trainer.
    x2
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Yes, it's bad. Your trainer is a trainer and you're not for a reason. Don't ignore what they saying.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    I agree with other posters. You definitely need to be eating more!

According to one BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator, your BMR is 1818. That's what your body needs to keep you alive and functioning for a day if you were to just lie in bed and not even open your eyes.

Considering you do so much more than that every day, plus the exercise, you can see how eating only 1000 calories per day just isn't enough.

(Here's the calculator I used. Others will vary somewhat, but not by a huge amount.)

I know it sounds like a lot, especially since that "magic" 1200 calorie number pops up everywhere, but I would really encourage you to try it for a few weeks. If you do and either gain or don't lose, then adjust it accordingly. But my personal experience has shown that I can eat more calories than I expected and still lose at a rate I'm happy with (~ 1 lb. / week).
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Diary unlocked

That's a good point, but I've seen people call some things meals that I would never call that.

OP maybe you could open your diary so we could offer better feedback.

• NiqueKristan
    200 cals per meal times 3 is 600 cals and 200 cals per snack equals 1000!

• NiqueKristan
    I just started eating well again. I guess I really want to know if it will hinder my weight loss. I know I should listen to my trainer, but for some reason it's hard for me to eat more!!
  • NiqueKristan
    I appreciate all of your input and feedback (:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Had a look at your diary. I do think your logging is inaccurate but I also think you're not eating nearly enough. Specifically you need more protein. Try your trainer's recommendations for awhile and see how it goes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Okay so I'm going to play bad cop for a minute...

Your profile says this: "I have tried to lose weight several times unsuccessfully. Each time I was very extreme and not mentally prepared. This time is sooo different."

And it sounds like you're starting off on a bad note by doing the same thing. You need to listen to these people who have the experience with weight loss.

Good luck.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I had a look at your logging history and it looks like you jumped back onto MFP Jan 5th. I find that when I first start a diet, I can go with very little food without really suffering. Not for long though. I theorize that it is my glucose stores that have been filled to the rafters in the days before I started the diet. If you are the same, you may start to feel hungrier in the coming days anyway. Hopefully everyone here has convinced you to eat the 1800 your supposed to be eating.