Optimum distribution of Fat, Carbs, Protein

Options
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has found that a different breakdown of fat, carbs, and protein works better to drop weight. I stick pretty close to the norm but I'm entered in a 45 day challenge. If I drop the largest pecentage I win $500. I won the 90 day last year. :) These last 15-20 pounds are going to be stubborn so I'm just looking to compete at an optimum level. The others in the group are all over the map (weight wise). Thank you for any insight you may have.
Btw, I'm 5'5" and currently 156.2. My goal is 135 but I would have to lose at least 3 ponds per week to even be in the running to win. I don't want to go extreme and slash too many calories. I'm currently set at 1, 200. And I generally do not eat back my exercise calories. I burn 300 and up in exercise everyday.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I used this post to set mine up, and I know others have found success with it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

But I think it's important to point out that your macros can be set in all different kinds of ways depending on your fitness routine, goals, and personal preferences.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dee2791 wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone has found that a different breakdown of fat, carbs, and protein works better to drop weight. I stick pretty close to the norm but I'm entered in a 45 day challenge. If I drop the largest pecentage I win $500. I won the 90 day last year. :) These last 15-20 pounds are going to be stubborn so I'm just looking to compete at an optimum level. The others in the group are all over the map (weight wise). Thank you for any insight you may have.
    Btw, I'm 5'5" and currently 156.2. My goal is 135 but I would have to lose at least 3 ponds per week to even be in the running to win. I don't want to go extreme and slash too many calories. I'm currently set at 1, 200. And I generally do not eat back my exercise calories. I burn 300 and up in exercise everyday.

You net 900 calories a day? That's not good. Are you sure your logging is accurate?

You lose weight from a calorie deficit only. Macro balance is for nutrition, satiety, and energy levels.

Forget the weight loss challenge and concentrate on losing .5 pounds a week until you're 21 pounds are gone.
  • dee2791
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1,200. I eat them all then my exercise is deducted so yes there is a deficit. Are you saying I should be eating my exercise calories back then? Sorry I am just confused about how MFP sets this up.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1,200. I eat them all then my exercise is deducted so yes there is a deficit. Are you saying I should be eating my exercise calories back then? Sorry I am just confused about how MFP sets this up.

Yes, MFP sets your calorie goal without taking your planned exercise into account. Basically, it doesn't trust you to actually do it until after your workout has been logged. That's why it adds more calories to your goal as you earn them.

This is a frequently asked question around here and I happen to like this explanation best: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Three pounds per week is a 1500 calorie deficit per day. Please be careful you do not get too tired and make mistakes while exercising.
  • dee2791
    Options

Yes, MFP sets your calorie goal without taking your planned exercise into account. Basically, it doesn't trust you to actually do it until after your workout has been logged. That's why it adds more calories to your goal as you earn them.

This is a frequently asked question around here and I happen to like this explanation best: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf

Thank you for clarifying! I feel great about my exercise regimen. I have been doing HIIT and yoga and I feel my body changing. I just scarfed down more food now! I almost never feel hungry unless it's late and then I get the munchies (which I know is a coping mechanism for staying awake!) Thank you all for your input. I was just thinking about how guys that want to build muscle and drop weight (bodybuilder types) amp up their protein intake to shed fat and thought there might be something there to help me. :)
  • xomg660
    Options

Thank you for clarifying! I feel great about my exercise regimen. I have been doing HIIT and yoga and I feel my body changing. I just scarfed down more food now! I almost never feel hungry unless it's late and then I get the munchies (which I know is a coping mechanism for staying awake!) Thank you all for your input. I was just thinking about how guys that want to build muscle and drop weight (bodybuilder types) amp up their protein intake to shed fat and thought there might be something there to help me. :)

Having muscle helps you with fat loss. That's why a lot of people advise that women lift when losing a lot of weight and are in such huge deficit as you are.
  • xomg660
    Options
    xomg660 wrote: »

Having muscle helps you with fat loss. That's why a lot of people advise that women lift when losing a lot of weight especially when they are in such huge deficit as you are.