Soy sauce alternatives?

Options
I have been having a a lot of stir fry lately. I like it and it gives me some vegetables. I will use chicken and some soy sauce. I know the sodium is crazy on the sauce. I even use the low sodium kind. I was wondering if there are any alternatives to soy sauce. Thanks for any info.

Replies

• PeaceLoveNDaisies
    Options
    Bragg Aminos. Not sure if it's lower in sodium, but the taste is comparable to soy sauce and supposedly better for you.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Tamari usually has less sodium than soy sauce.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You can use coconut aminos, supposed to be healthier than Braggs.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sriracha!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    L and P worcercestire damn good soy sauce replacement in rice with only about 50 mg sodium per teaspoon.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You can also try to water down soy sauce. I did find one that's only 500mg per serving (as opposed to 1,200mg+ per serving), so if you can't do without it, add a little water to half a serving.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not sure how they all fare on the sodium count, but if you're looking for some alternatives these go pretty well in stir-fries:

- Plum sauce
    - Hoisin sauce
    - Worchestershire sauce
    - Fish sauce
    - Tamari sauce
    - Sesame oil
    - Sweet chilli sauce
    - Teriyaki sauce
    - Kecap Manis

Then there's about a million different spices in different combinations you can throw in too. Hope this helps!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    L and P worcercestire damn good soy sauce replacement in rice with only about 50 mg sodium per teaspoon.

this is what i use b/c i'm allergic to soy. L&P is the only worcestershire sauce i could find w/o soy, corn syrup, etc.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Sriracha!

Seconded.

Or garlic sauce. Some sort of citrus ginger chutney might be good too.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you stir fry in Sesame oil it adds Asian flavor and then maybe you can use less.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't see your post AllyCatXandi, all good suggestions :)