Anyone take meds that cause xtra lbs??

I'm on anti-seizure medication and in approx 4 yrs I've gained almost 35 lbs. but I'm determined to get some off.

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Me! Weight gain is a major side effect of a lot of meds. Unfortunately the side effect of not taking them is worse. I try not to think about it.
    Think about how awesome we are for not only losing weightand getting healthy but doing so while on meds that make it more difficult....
  • tishbrannen998
    tishbrannen998 Posts: 7 Member
    You are soo right!! I have no choice but to take my meds. Thanks for the encouraging words!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    As Karen said - "Weight gain is a major side effect of a lot of meds. Unfortunately the side effect of not taking them is worse."

I take multiple med's throughout the day and some of them have the ability to possibly add weight... I also ignore and simply try to change my lifestyle to offset and be as healthy as possible. Over a year has elapsed and so far so good.

73641431.png

• kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Nothing like some steroids, elavil, and depakote to take me from 150 to 183. I'm not sure if it was the increased appetite, the metabolic effect of the meds, or being on bedrest for over 6 months. I'm going for healthy foods and increasing my activity (minding my dizziness of course)
  • sam_tap4
    sam_tap4 Posts: 7 Member
    I gained weight from birth control about 20lbs. Yes I got off of it this summer but I'm starting to try and loose the weight before April. I will be going on a trip and would like to have that bikini body I used to have. It's really hard especially if you are still on the medication. But I'm very determined to shed the pounds and begin a healthy lifestyle :smile: