50 and Fighting a Slowing Metabolism...Anyone else out there facing the same issue???

Options
Ewoks1
Ewoks1 Posts: 16 Member
I have been naturally thin my entire life until now. I am in my 50's and am struggling with a 15 pound weight gain in the past year. I need to do something, I can't gain 15 pounds every year and stay healthy. I'm new to dieting, any tips you can give me would be appreciated. I have been using My Fitness Pal for the past 3 days, and have dropped a pound a day, Yeah!!! This is good motivation for me, but I am worried once the newness wears off, I will slip back into old, bad habits.

Replies

• Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thx 4 posting. I could always eat whatever I wanted. I am 5'4 and I wore a size 2. Once I hat 46, I starting gaining weight. It took years of refusing to change my eating habits. Finally, after wearing a size 14, i decided to join ww. I lost some weight but stopped tracking and with the holidays gained weight. I am now trying mfp and track my food. The thing that made all the difference was getting a scale to measure my food. It is a great help. I cheated today and am hoping to get back on the beam tomorrow. Thx
  • ewarshaw
    ewarshaw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can tell you all about slipping back into bad habits. Last January, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Hypertension. In the past, I had been on all the fad diets with some success but I always seemed to end up 5 pounds heavier than when I started. This time, I worked on cutting sodium, got real inventive, stuck to MFP daily, and by the end of April, I had lost 31 pounds and had the best blood pressure reading of my life. My doctor was amazed and told me I should right a book about it after I told him about my journey.
    Well, I started to relax, and the pounds stayed off for awhile, but as I reverted, over half of them came back. I just re-committed this week to eating the way I had when I was successful, and now realize it's a life change, not a pit stop.
    What I have found is that when you want it bad enough, you will stick with it. You will learn how to "treat" yourself and still stay true. There are lots of people on here who are inspirational in their success. Bottom line is this: Figure out how you want to approach it, make sure it is the right direction for you, and stick with it.
  • raihawk
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you but have the added problem of breathing difficulty so I really slacked off my mobility. The weight started packing on regardless of using weight watchers. I'm now doing daily walking and playing on my wii sports resort. I've changed my diet to make breads and pasta a reward rather than the norm and eat lots of fresh fruit an veg. Also adding a fiber supplement will help you feel fuller and eat less. Try and stay active to get and keep that metabolism revved. Good luck and stick to it!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I kept hearing that as well. I went to a hospital and had my vo2 tested. I burn 1890 calories doing absolutely nothing. I realized I was not measuring peanut butter correctly and other caloric things. It may not be your metabolism . The test is Body Gem I believe and cost 30.00.
  • Ewoks1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. For some reason, just seeing that I am not alone is helpful. I do have a question, what is MFP?
  • catherinenovak
    catherinenovak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about weighing food. I bought a kitchen scale a few months ago to make jam, and it's been hiding in the cupboard since. I should bring it out so I know how much I am actually eating, especially when it comes to things like cheddar cheese and I cut off a hunk of it ;) . Here's to sticking with good habits - I know how it feels to fall off the wagon!
  • SweetLifeHarmony
    Options
    Ewoks1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your responses. For some reason, just seeing that I am not alone is helpful. I do have a question, what is MFP?
    MFP = My Fitness Pal :)

• Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My scale sits on my kitchen counter and I use it as well as a measuring cup. I used to always guess and now I kno. I just hope I get back on the beam tomorrow. Could use more friends since I am new. Feel free to send me a friend request. Mfp is 'my fitness pal'.
  • Ewoks1
    Options
    Duh! And thanks!
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm not 50 yet... but have a slow burner too. Agree on the scale/weigh foods. I'm pre-diabetic and the best thing I've done for me is using my fitness pal for tracking and eating via the scale (and cutting salts and sugars by cooking my meals... no boxed food). I was a size 20 and I'm now just barely a size 12. Its taken me FOREVER to lose half the weight I needed to. 40 lbs in a year is slow work... my goal is another 40... I shall not get frustrated. I have kids so my life is crazy and I just needed to slow down and do something for me before pre- diabetic became daily shots... my doctor is proud of me too! Feel free to friend me if you want to chat.