WHOOOSH Effect

Options
chuisle
chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
Hi All!

So I have been on MFP since January 31st of this year and have had a great experience. However, I've noticed a curious pheonomeon that I only understood once I actually made a spread sheet and graph of my weight loss. I tend to plateau at a weight, then WHOOSH, all of a sudden I jump on the scale and its gone. Examples: 3 weeks at 150, then all of a sudden 147. 4 weeks at 145 then 142.

Does this happen to anyone else? If so, what is your experience like? Does anyone have research on why it happens?

PS I do know that I am pretty consistenly losing fat...down from 26.2% to 22.3% from Feb 14th to today. That goes down in pretty steady increments.

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it happen yet, but since I've been stuck for awhile I hope it will :wink:
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time...I have no idea why, but I notice the fat is leaving before the weight too..
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and so did my husband. I figure as long as it goes down eventually, I'm good!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I do the same exact thing.

My working theory is that my weight gets stuck (plateaus) at a weight where I spent a lot of time. For instance, I get stuck at 130/131. Can take me WEEKS to push past that point...then WHOOOOOOSH...all of a sudden I'll start dropping: 129, 128, 127, 126, 125, 124...all within 6 or 7 days....and them I'm stuck again. Usually get stuck at 130, 124, 116.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was stuck for a month at a weight, then it started coming off a pound at a time, then this week 6 lbs just went... dunno where but glad to see 'em gone. So the work I was doing for that month counted for something it just doesn't always show up immediately ;)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    That seems to be how it works for me.
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm in the Whoosh now....thank goodness! This is the third time I have experienced this since I started. I was thinking it's due to stress. But, maybe it's just the way our body deals with the weight loss, like it's hanging on to the weight for a min to make sure it's gonna be ok before it actually lets it go...I don't know, just my thoughts.

I didn't drink as much water yesterday as the days before. But, I went to the bathroom last night like I was living on water.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think I am similar. I only weigh myself sporadically when visiting my parents, but I didn't lose anything for the first couple of months, then lost 4lbs in a week, then 5 more lbs in the next 3 weeks, then nothing for 2 weeks.
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up and then down then back up and then back down. Mine is definitely hormonal fluctuations but it seems to go down by a little more each time and up by a little less so the general trend is down.

I do weigh every day but this is mainly because I am having some hormonal problems and I am keeping track using my weight.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My bet is that it is hormonal. I have been doing the same thing, I have about a 2 week time span where I can lose anywhere from 5-15 pounds in a blink, and then nothing for 2-3 weeks. I am peri menopausal so it shouldn't be a big suprise. If I happen to fall off the wagon a little so to speak (higher carb/lower protein) during the 'wooosh' I don't drop any weight. When TOM doesn't visit on time I plateau until it does. Getting older sucks!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...and I had gastric bypass 4 years ago. The same thing then would happen (after the initial drop).

I read somewhere once that as your body burns fat........they shrink. But, during this process...as you burn fat, the fat cell fills up with water and then eventually sheds the water and shrinks, hence th delay in weight loss vs fat loss.

Fat cells do not actually disappear...they shrink. WE lose weight but the number of fat cells is still the same but much smaller.

I wish I could find this article again...will keep looking and post it when I do.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've never thought too much about it, but I like the term you use for it. Just this week, I went from 218 (Mon) to 216 (yesterday) after only losing .2 pounds all of last week. Maybe I'll try having a little more faith in the "whoosh effect" and not get discouraged between "whooshes" :happy:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I notice that effect more with clothes than on the scale. All of a sudden I put on a pair of pants that was fitting fine and they're so loose I feel like I shouldn't wear them in public.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

I tend to weigh often but I don't freak out about small flucuations, it's really more of a habit. I am more concerned about fat loss than what the scale says but it doesn't mean I don't want to get to that magic number.

I am hoping for a whoosh soon :)
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. A steady weight, then I drop a pound, then two, then another plateau. I think it's tied to sodium and water retention and the general reluctance of my body to let go of anything.