Weakness Foods (and how you got past it)

Options
I have a weakness. That weakness is popcorn.

It's the only food that I truly can eat nonstop. Movies can be disastrous because I absolutely crave that bucket of buttery popcorn. I've bought a Costco sized bag of Skinny Pop with the intention of measuring out a cup for each snack, only to eat the entire thing in a matter of days. I freakin' love popcorn. So I don't buy it anymore.

Today, I'm writing this because I totally ruined my diet and ate a medium sized bag at the movies. I had a moment of weakness. In the past, I managed to curb my popcorn addiction by bringing a baggie of rice cakes to munch on in the movie instead. It's worked before, but sometimes my addiction to popcorn just rears its ugly head.

Anyone else have this kind of problem with one food? And how did you help manage it?

Replies

• dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to eat tons of popcorn with loads of butter too. At the movies, I'd get a large popcorn with extra butter layered and consume so much that my stomach would hurt. Now, I chill out with a movie at home with a big bowl of air popped popcorn, some butter spray, and molly mcbutter. It fits into my calorie count for the day and I am happy with what I have. I stopped allowing myself to make up excuses for blatant overindulgence in foods. That's what let me get fat to begin with. I have learned to be okay with eating only what will fit into my calorie allowance and I do not allow myself to step outside of it unless it is a special day because nothing I could possibly eat is worth my being fat and unhealthy again, not popcorn, not cake, nothing.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nachos and tortilla chips with anything, salsa, guacamole.... I don't generally keep them at home. Just on special occasions. I do love them so.
    :smile:
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. Any kind of chocolate. Chocolate bars, chocolate cookies, chocolate cake, hot chocolate, chocolate protein bars, chocolate shakes, chocolate milk, chocolate syrup. If it has chocolate I devour it. When I studied abroad in Spain I was eating an entire milka oreo chocolate bar a day from the stress - a whopping 1120 calories from one bar. Oh but it’s so good.

I beat it by leaving Spain and not having any milka oreo - after that chocolate bar, no chocolate was the same for me. Sure, it was good, but it wasn’t milka oreo. I’m a bit more back in the sugar swing, so I keep my chocolate in a tub under my desk where it’s awkward to get to. The good news is, my parents brought me five whole bars of milka oreo from their recent trip to Germany and I can now limit myself to three pieces instead of the whole whopping thing. I guess it helps knowing that there’s a $1000 plane ticket between me and my next load of them - gotta make those five bars last me until September! (kidding... they definitely won’t last that long.)
  • RobinsonSnow
    Options
    I too suffer from the popcorn infection, friend.

For popcorn, I found MANY ways of self-control. At the movies when I get popcorn, I do three things: Get a small size (although that changes depending on the theatre). Although this may be hard, saving the popcorn until the movie starts helps eb the consumption a little bit by practicing self-control. Besides, did you come to eat while watching trailers? This one may also be.. weird, but I nibble my popcorn kernels rather than stuff them in my mouth. Maybe crush the fluffy part because I can and eat it. Whatever works. Just not mouth-stuffing the poopcorn, because that's not enjoyable, honestly.

At home, I found a love in making plain air or microwave popcorn and covering it with grated parmesan and some pepper, and it's flavorful without all the calories. :smile:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time during the holidays not digging into cake batter and cookie dough. I washed my hands regularly and washed out whatever was left in the bowl as soon as I finished using it.

I do well with the cooked versions of both though.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I usually just don't allow my "triggers" in the house, lol. Like Oreos. They're not even that good, but my husband and I can polish off an entire family sized pack of those little suckers in half an evening. So I've banned them from the house.

I also like to pre-plan my entire day's food in advance and pre-log it into my diary. That way I can see if and just how much of a splurge I can have if I really want it, and what a free-for-all would do to my day if I let it happen.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is hard for me to keep under control (so is chocolate with nuts). But...I won't give any of it up. For popcorn, I usually have the 100 calorie microwave bags (I sneak these into the movies) and chocolate - one piece!!! Ooooo....now I'm getting hungry.... :)
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    and there's me thinking that popcorn is a healthy substitution from chocolate, unfortunately now addicted to sweet and salty popcorn, but it's high in fibre!
  • Ja_ja_jakeya
    Ja_ja_jakeya Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Popcorn can be healthy! If it's not droned in butter or covered in caramel or some other way! I can't seem to stay away from peanut butter. I tried buying all natural peanut butter but nothing compares to good old Jiff. I CANNOT give it up lol but I have limited myself to one square of dark chocolate a day topped with Jiff peanut butter
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls. I can't even walk down the aisle at the grocery store where they are housed.
  • nerdburglar13
    Options
    Dark chocolate with almonds and unrefined salt.... And I totally have NOT gotten past it yet!
  • tapestryheart
    Options
    popcorn, chocolate, cookie dough....I curb the cravings 2 ways. 1) I drink lots of herbal and green teas sweetened with stevia and a tea latte in the morning with stevia and cocoa powder and almond milk. I find when I'm thirsty or hungry, the cravings gain much power. 2) When it gets out of control and I can't stop myself, I do a 3 day juice fast (but I have a protein at bfast, lunch, and dinner time). Totally stops it. The juicing inspiration came from the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.
    Good luck breaking the control of popcorn over you. You control those little puffs of corn! Go team!!
  • kegglemax
    Options
    pizza and redbull.. stopped drinking redbull, i drink alot of water now instead... and as for pizza.. i dont really buy it, I buy chicken beef and whole grains instead... RIP Papa Johns because i used to dominate them weekly
  • curvesfordays8907
    curvesfordays8907 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    McDonald's mcgangbang aka a double cheeseburger and a mcchicken as one sandwich. It's horrible and disgusting and delicious...now when I crave one I just remind myself of my goal and ask myself if eating one will A) fuel my body in a healthy way B) fill an emotional hole or C) help me towards my ultimate goal and then it isn't nearly as appetizing.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel you with popcorn. Skinny Pop--any flavor. I too tell myself I will measure the portion size but NO, I eat the whole bag, which I am pretty sure negates the SKINNY part...
    I did not buy any at the store today--going to break that habit this week. I realize it's not the worse thing I could binge on, but still--no reason to inhale an entire bag of anything in one sitting. And cookies. Any variety, home made, store bought-I'm not fussy. So no cookies and no popcorn today. Instead I bought oranges. I will have an orange each night instead of the popcorn and cookies. Wish me luck.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Potato chips. Plain old potato chips no flavors added.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Popcorn's one. I don't mind eating it, but it's hard to stop. I bought some kernels recently and am going to try popping just a bit and see how it goes. The main problem is that when there's a big bowl it just lends itself to eating until it's gone.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    White pasta and bread were like torture for me. When I replaced them with whole grain varieties, my pasta and bread issues ended. :grinning:

The only other things I'd eat too much of might be Oreos, Reese's <anything but nutrageous>, salty dry roasted peanuts and tortilla chips, so I quit buying them. I don't miss the candy and unsalted nuts are fine replacements for the salty ones.

Like Sabine, I miss the chips. I have a favorite brand, but I'd eat almost any tortilla chips until the cows came home if I could. Now, I use lettuce or (once in a while) Special K chips with my salsa. :)
  • kateraichu
    kateraichu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your great advice. It's good to know I'm not the only one with a popcorn addiction or some other kind of trigger food!

At the end of the day it all just comes down to good old fashioned self control. Sighhhh
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We still have some leftover Christmas cookies, & I've been allowing myself 1 or 2 a night (all planned), but have been finding myself wanting more. I keep them out for my daughter (24 yo, but mentally about age 5, because she knows she'll get a cookie after eating her dinner.) I may go put them in the downstairs freezer so that I have to climb the steps for them, because it's becoming harder to resist them....