Is it bad to be under 1200 calories?

Options
MFP set me at 120 calories. I am 5'1" and 142 lbs. I'd like to lose 2lbs per week. I exercise 20-40 minutes a day - utube walking videos. I've been here 1 week and everyday I have been under the1200 calorie allowance. I do not eat back my exercise calories. Is this bad?

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You can potentially damage your metabolism by systematically under eating. It's very difficult to meet your nutritional goals (ie the amount of each nutrient your body needs to stay healthy while losing weight) eating under 1,200 calories, which is why it's set as the minimum on MFP.

I have no idea how much weight you intend to lose, but 2 pounds per week is likely too aggressive. .5-1 per week is more realistic.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back your exercise calories. Most people eat back 50 to 75% of their calories. Eating anything less than 1200 calories is not healthy unless you are very short. Since you only have 22 pounds to lose I would change your goal to 1 pound to 1.5 pounds a week. 2 pounds a week is too aggressive IMO.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

You have 22lbs to lose, so your goal should be .5lb/1lb a week.

You didn't put on 22lbs quickly, so don't try to rush taking it off. Under 1,200 calories is not advisable, and too aggressive for your goal. Seconding eating back exercise calories as well; eat back enough to get a net of over 1,200 per day. Your deficit is already built in to your daily calorie goal, so there is no need to eat under it.
  • bobbichristine
    bobbichristine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

You have 22lbs to lose, so your goal should be .5lb/1lb a week.

You didn't put on 22lbs quickly, so don't try to rush taking it off. Under 1,200 calories is not advisable, and too aggressive for your goal. Seconding eating back exercise calories as well; eat back enough to get a net of over 1,200 per day. Your deficit is already built in to your daily calorie goal, so there is no need to eat under it.

I agree. Unless your doctor tells you specify that it is okay(which for you and your small goal would not be), I wouldn't do it. If you had say 80+ like I do, then it could be possible. but again, not without doctor supervision. You should aim for something like 1400 a day.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes its not healthy
  • bonnieh1638
    bonnieh1638 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I will update my goal to 1lb per week.
    I'm new at this and have dumb questions but want to stay accountable.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That's definitely not a dumb question. Never be scared to ask!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree 2 lbs./week is aggressive given how little you have to lose. I'd consider changing that to 1 lb./week. And, I also agree you should eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. Good luck! You can make this happen! :D

Change MFP Goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I will update my goal to 1lb per week.
    I'm new at this and have dumb questions but want to stay accountable.

Once you hit 15lbs left to lose, drop it down to .5lb/week. Trust me, you will appreciate those extra calories! Slow and steady will keep you accountable. And there are no dumb questions; that's why we're here! To offer guidance for legitimate questions. :)
  • bonnieh1638
    Options
    so I changes to 1lb to lose per week. MFP is showing projected weight loss to be .06lbs per week. Is this correct?
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Short term no, long term yes...is it something you can do for a life time? We know the answer, no.

This is a journey, there is no rush. Take your time...
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    so I changes to 1lb to lose per week. MFP is showing projected weight loss to be .06lbs per week. Is this correct?

Yes; once you factor in exercise you log, and the exercise calories you eat back, your weight loss may be between .6-1lb a week projected.
  • bonnieh1638
    Options
    Thanks again! I'm new to all this but I'm learning. Yes, I agree this is a journey and it will happen slowly, but it will happen!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Two pounds per week seems too aggressive I'd rethink that