I dont eat eggs - what are you non egg lovers eating instead?

Options
Jemoules
Jemoules Posts: 18 Member
I'm not allergic to them, just cant sand the smell or taste! Breakfast ideas, quick snacks etc all seem to revolve around eggs :(

I would love to hear what others are eating, what the recipe is and what the calorie/kilojoule content is - I need ideas to build up a comprehensive list of yummy meals to make.

I tend to find a few things and eat them week in/week out then jump screaming from the band wagon into steak pies and chips...

lg5zgok5fdlb.jpg

Replies

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am a former non-egg eater (having in just the last month or two started trying to make myself eat eggs... they're okay for me scrambled really soft with parmesan cheese on them).

I eat plain Greek yogurt nearly every day for breakfast! Perfect for lots of protein. I'll also make a tofu scramble sometimes with spinach, tomatoes, and seasonings, or sometimes a protein shake with Greek yogurt, protein powder, peanut butter, and half a banana.

For snacks I often eat nuts, FiberOne bars, cheese sticks, and pepperoni (depending on my macro needs for the day). (I also don't really enjoy snacking on veggies, lol, so tend to have them with meals.)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have no substitutes for eggs, because I absolutely love them. I know ways of sneaking them into your food without tasting them, if that helps, though.

Can you handle egg whites? I add liquid egg whites to shakes to beef up my protein intake. It makes my shakes thicker and a little frothy, but adds no flavor at all. I also add them to my grits while they're cooking, it makes the meal heartier and fills me up longer.
  • Jemoules
    Options
    "I eat plain Greek yogurt nearly every day for breakfast! Perfect for lots of protein. I'll also make a tofu scramble sometimes with spinach, tomatoes, and seasonings, or sometimes a protein shake with Greek yogurt, protein powder, peanut butter, and half a banana."

Yummy, that Tofu scramble sounds delish!
  • Jemoules
    Options
    I have no substitutes for eggs, because I absolutely love them. I know ways of sneaking them into your food without tasting them, if that helps, though.

Can you handle egg whites? I add liquid egg whites to shakes to beef up my protein intake. It makes my shakes thicker and a little frothy, but adds no flavor at all. I also add them to my grits while they're cooking, it makes the meal heartier and fills me up longer.

I'm not using protein shakes at all, but could certainly add eggs if needed - as long as I cant taste them = all good.
    But I try to make meals from readily available ingredients (in the pantry) just works easier for the whole family.

Will look into protein shakes as I can certainly see them as a 'life saver' when I am having a blah moment for sure. DEFINATELY when at work or when I've had a late start to the day ;)
    What is the reason for adding an egg to a protein shake?
  • enfermera88
    enfermera88 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I thought I was the only "weirdo" that hates eggs! You could try a whole grain waffle or bagel thin with turkey sausage, or chicken/turkey slices to make a breakfast sandwich. Maybe with a little avocado for some healthy fat. (I don't like avocado either, so I would skip that.) My personal trainer really wanted me to try eggs or egg whites. I just couldn't. Even with every condiment known to man...I still wanted to throw up!
  • browsingchiklet
    browsingchiklet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hate them too!! Glad to see I am not the only one!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    There's lots of things to eat that don't involve eggs:) I love to stir Greek yogurt (100cal 13g protein) into low-sugar oatmeal, makes a creamy delicious hot breakfast. Bananas apple, or carrot sticks with peanut butter/pb2 or cheese stick make great snacks. You can make breakfast tacos with bean and cheese, ham and cheese, bean and potato, etc. Even special k protein cereal and milk is a good source of protein and easy.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Two slices of 35 calorie bread (several different brands have it) toasted with peanut butter (I like the kind that is freshly ground, no preservatives or sugar) and a small banana on top. (200 ish calories)
    Oatmeal with cinnamon and stevia. (depends on how much oatmeal you eat- I eat 2 packets and each is 100)
    Turkey pepperoni and a mozzarella stick or two (good for on the go) (around 200 for 17 slices of pepperoni and 2 cheese sticks)
  • Jemoules
    Options
    Mmm! Thanks guys all above sounds delicious! Gonna get me some greek yoghurt and tofu etc me thinks and try these out.
    Big hi and thx from this 'weirdo egg hater' lol >:)
  • whitenurseshoes
    whitenurseshoes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt such as Fage, has 23 gmail of protein per serving, have with berries and sprinkle with a tablespoon of granola
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I saw something of tv about a yogurt bar that serves both savory and sweet yogurt bowls. They topped the yogurt with all kind of savory veggies, spices, seeds and herbs. Example cucumbers, dill, garlic, lemon and olive oil. Looked like deconstructed tatziki. I tried it with both yogurt and cottage cheese. Very good! The possibilities are endless. Caprese? Spinach? Garden veggie?
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Eggs are one of the only foods I can't stand! For breakfast I'll usually have a blackberry or raspberry greek yogurt and veggie wrap (Tumaro's wrap, salsa, spinach and sometimes bacon). It's usually around 270 calories if you use two strips of already cooked bacon, without the bacon it would be around 210
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Poptarts aren't a bad option if you just want something sweet! They're around 200 calories per pastry -- some are a little higher and some are a little lower! For just random snacks, The Sandwich Bros make an entire line of microwaveable sandwiches for under 200 calories. I was able to pick up their chicken melts at my local Sam's Club and they're 160 calories and so delicious and filling! Interestingly enough, their labels don't have much that I can't pronounce which I find to be really impressive! In the place of snacks I also tend to eat a fairly large salad which makes it almost like a meal but for snack-level calories (1 romaine head, 56 grams of ham, 28 grams of ranch dressing comes in at under 200 calories)! I am also really fond of ramen noodles for a snack (a bit higher at 400 calories). Depending on brands you can probably even get away with a piece of toast with some peanut butter or jam for breakfast! Another snack that I've been enjoying is cans of vegetables from the store with various fixings - they are all just a bit over 100 calories from what I've experienced and very satiating!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't like eggs on their own much either.
    I don't really feel like eating or cooking a lot in the morning. I will eat greek yogurt, fruit, a sandwich, soup, leftovers from dinner, a granola bar, or cereal.
    Food is food. You don't have to eat "breakfast food". Eat the food you like no matter what time of day it is.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of eggs too. Glad to see I'm not alone.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Substitutes for eggs: tofu scramble, sliced tofu will substitute for an egg on a breakfast sandwich, applesauce is a substitute for eggs in baking - add some flax seed or chia seed to thicken or add a little extra baking soda or powder to give the baked good more rise, and if you're just looking for protein (which is not healthy to eat a lot of protein - I took nutrition studies at the university) eat beans or peas or nuts. Eggs are high in cholesterol and fat. They are bad for you. The protein is best gotten from a much healthier source.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I might add that protein is in almost every single produce - even celery contains protein. It is impossible not to get enough unless you only eat oil and fruit or are on a starvation diet in which case there isn't anything you would get enough of.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    While I adore eggs, if I'm not feeling like having them for breakfast, I like oatmeal with honey, cinnamon, a little butter and blueberries with Greek yogurt on the side.

Another great option that I love is an everything bagel thin with veggie cream cheese, smoked salmon and loaded with vegetables such as spinach, tomatoes, and avocado.

I also like making wraps with low carb tortillas, peanut butter, and bananas and then drizzling a little bit of honey over the banana.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jemoules wrote: »

I'm not using protein shakes at all, but could certainly add eggs if needed - as long as I cant taste them = all good.
    But I try to make meals from readily available ingredients (in the pantry) just works easier for the whole family.

Will look into protein shakes as I can certainly see them as a 'life saver' when I am having a blah moment for sure. DEFINATELY when at work or when I've had a late start to the day ;)
    What is the reason for adding an egg to a protein shake?

To boost my protein intake. Protein fills you up better than carbs, and egg whites are a clean, protein-packed filler that beefs up shakes. And not just protein shakes, I don't think I even mentioned protein shakes. It works great for ANY shake, green veggie shakes, frozen or fresh fruit shakes, even milkshakes!

• nanacharlene
    Options
    I eat 1/3 cup oatmeal with blueberries, brown sugar and skim milk. I put the oatmeal in a bowl add 1/2 cup water and microwave for 2 12 mins. Add brown sugar and milk; mix well then add 1/2 cup blueberries.