Is a Blendtec worth it?

Options
I just got a bad diagnosis and really have to limit my eating. I've tried going the shake route before for an oral surgery I had recently, but my main complaint is that a lot of the cheaper blenders I've tried have a really lump consistency of unblended materials. It ends up making my gag reflex onset. I've tried wattages as low 120 all the way to 900. Also, not sure if it's where I've bought them, but they all tend to go haywire fast or come broken. So I'm looking for an upgrade that will last.

So I'm wonder if a Refurbished Blendtec is worth my while?

Problem is, I can either buy this or a bed..which I am in badly in need of because I'm sick of sleeping on a mattress on the floor. But I'm also sick of going to get a cheap blender every couple of months. So I'm pretty conflicted.

Is there any cheaper alternatives that you use? (Besides that one Ninja that claims to be as good as a Vitamix? I've tried several Ninja's and felt like they were inferior to even the cheap $20 blenders I've had)

I'm also wonder what kind of warranty (if any) the Refurbished Blendtec's come with. And where can I get one for a good deal.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You don't need a blender to lose weight. I sold mine. Buy the bed!

Also, you don't need to buy a box spring if you don't want to. These foldable metal platforms are an alternative:
  • gimmies
    Options
    Thanks Aemely for that link. I may look into that instead of a box spring.

The issue I have is I need mostly shakes. I still have more oral surgery so I need soft things still. So shakes are best for me.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    gimmies wrote: »
    Thanks Aemely for that link. I may look into that instead of a box spring.

The issue I have is I need mostly shakes. I still have more oral surgery so I need soft things still. So shakes are best for me.

Aww, sorry... I thought the worst was over. Good luck with the surgery... :neutral_face: Here's a round-up of blenders with reviews & pricepoints that might help. I'd probably ask around my workplace and ask family & friends to see if they had a blender sitting in a cabinet doing nothing. I was really happy to clear mine out since I rarely used it, so perhaps there are some blenders in your general vicinity that are ripe for the picking!

http://www.cnet.com/news/blender-roundup/
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    We use a plain old food processor (actually got it at the second-hand store for $7!) and strain out any big chunks with a mesh strainer. Maybe that will help you?
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I went on ebay and got a nutribullet for 40.00 and some change, look there
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    gimmies wrote: »
    I'm also wonder what kind of warranty (if any) the Refurbished Blendtec's come with. And where can I get one for a good deal.
    7 year warranty if you buy from them.
    http://www.blendtec.com/blenders/total-blender-classic-series-factory-reconditioned

I have one and it makes things perfectly smooth.

Costco has decent deals on new Blendtecs and Vitamixes but they're all close to $400.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends that have either a blendtec or vitamin and they all love them. I am saving for one myself, I love the idea that you can throw everything in and make soups and cook them in it too.
  • EverHopeful2015
    Options
    I love my blendtec blender! I am not sure if a refurbished one would be a good buy. But if it's being sold by Blendtec company then they will probably give a good warranty. I know that Blendtec is very very good at replacing their blender if they ever have a problem.
  • mechman02
    mechman02 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We found the Oster Versa. Absolutely awesome. We've used it nearly everyday for almost three years. It's a Blendtec-Vitamix hybrid. We bought ours through Amazon.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Check out thrift shops and get an ancient blender from the 80s. Appliances from that time period are less likely to break because they were better manufactured. I think our family’s blender is from 1986 and I use it on a daily basis. My food processor I think is from 1974 and is just starting to crack. New cheap appliances are junk. Shop old.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I used to use a Blendtec at my old job; I hated it because it was so loud and shook a bit, but it was also an industrial one for use in the food industry. I personally find that my Magic Bullet gets the job done; if I want a smoothie, it pulverizes everything pretty well. If I'm mnaking a chunky sauce (like a rosemary olive oil spread I use for pork loin), it is able to coarsely chop those without pulverizing the spices.

I've had mine over a year, and honestly have had no problems so far.
  • davidhoth
    Options
    Refurbished Blendtec's are great. It's definitely not worth buying a brand new one, since the refurbished ones still come with such a great warranty. I also burned through quite a few cheap blenders before I figured that the 7 year warranty was worth the initial investment. Just make sure you also use a promo code from an online affiliate like http://boozysmoothies.com/blendtec-promo-code/ to get free shipping too.
  • squeakyrobot
    Options
    I just bought a reconditioned Vitamix for myself - they're currently having a 25% off deal (plus free shipping) on two of their models. They come with a five year warranty. I've also heard that they have better customer service than Blendtec and that's part of the reason I chose Vitamix instead.

• Enjoy 25% off through the @Vitamix Friends & Family Event on a Certified Reconditioned Standard machine. USE CODE: 07-0103-01-01 at checkout. Normally priced: $329. With Friends & Family discount: $246.75
    https://www.vitamix.com/shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard.aspx?COUPON=07-0103-01-01[1]

• Enjoy 25% off through the @Vitamix Friends & Family Event on a Certified Reconditioned Standard Programs. USE CODE: 07-0103-01-02 at checkout. Normally priced: $379. With Friends & Family discount: $284.25
    https://www.vitamix.com/shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard-Programs.aspx?COUPON=07-0103-01-02
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used my BlendTec this morning, as I do most days, to make whole veggie/fruit juice. I was very hesitant to buy this blender (we got it new at Costco) due to price, but I'm convinced we have saved well more than the purchase price in the five years we've owned it. We made ALL of our baby food for two kids (huge savings), countless smoothies and whole juices, pureed soups, homemade flours (like oat flour), and so on. Glad my hubby encouraged me to spend the money. Best wishes for your health, OP!