I gained 7 pounds, this is strange.

Options
xsix
xsix Posts: 62 Member
OK so I started training again, and i'm fairly sure that my diet has been clean as well, how did I gain 7 pounds, I do not think that I have gotten any fatter as my pants don't fit like they used to, and 7 pounds of muscle in less then a month seems kinda strange. I have upped my protein uptake a bit as well maybe some of you have insight into this?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    water retention?
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When its my time of the month I can gain upwards of 7 pounds and then I'm back to normal a week later. Could that be it?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Water retention .. glycogen replenishment (which leads to water retention) ... different amount of waste in your body ... normal weight fluctuations ...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Water retention
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's why I hate scales
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump

This happened to me too. Still ate at a deficit (and was losing close to 1-1.5 pounds a week) and then incorporated weight training and I gained 4 pounds in a month! My clothes fit the same, and my measurements were the same. What gives?
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Every single time, if you are logging accurately and at a deficit or maintenance then you have not gained weight. Water retention will happen after a change in activity especially if that is a strength related activity like weight training. You can "gain" like 5-15lbs in a week from water retention alone, most people find they will fluctuate 5lbs per day in water weight. That scale isn't lying to you, but it's not telling you the full story either, don't forget to take pictures, and measure yourself regularly. You ARE making progress, do not doubt yourself, keep going you're doing great!
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ^^ Spot on
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Water retention, check! Thanks a lot for the info.