Do you DRINK enought WATER? Here's some TIPS to how!

Options
As all of you already know this WATER is very crucial part of our weight lost journey. Our body needs water! So it holds onto it when we don't give it enough, and because we were never so use to drinking water, it's sometimes even harder to take in 8 glasses of water in 1 day! That's seems impossible! It was for me! Here are few tips I did so I can take in my 8 glasses, I hope I can help even 1 person out there, then this message is all worth it!

As soon as you wake up in the morning, get a warm water, squeeze some lemon and close your eyes and drink it down. YES it's hard but think of it as your first sip of beer, it doesn't taste good at first but you get to like it the more you drink it! (1 - 8 oz down).
-
Green tea is VERY GOOD to incorporate in your diet, it has antioxidant and helps with your metabolism, if you CAN - drink your tea with your breakfast. 1 cup of hot tea with your regular morning breakfast. (2 down - 6 to go)

You HAVE to eat 5 times a day! This is the best way to do it - I've been in this journey before and I know how I lost my weight I just have to re-do it again! But eating small meals a day works MUCH better! Just like exercising you're letting your metabolism keep working! all day!

Around 10am - 10:30, it's time for SNACK, it maybe your granola bar, piece of fruit or banana, drink it down with water. It's how you'll wash that down! (3 down - 5 to go)

Lunch time - whatever you're eating, try to drink 1/2cup of water BEFORE your actual lunch not only you'll eat less but you're already half way your battle! If you can grab an ICE TEA using GREEN TEA! and drink it with your lunch! (4 down - 1/2 way there!!!)

2pm-3pm - it's SNACK time! Have some pop corn! 1c is only 30 calories and you have quite a bit so it looks like you get a lot, get the one that's light with NO butter but a LITTLE salt! Drink you water with it! (5 down - 3 to go)

Time to leave work, if you're like me you are about to hit the gym! or do any kind of home exercise... you should already have a glass of water ready while working out or 2! Let's say 1 after all your hard work (6 down - 2 to go)

DINNER time! pair down your fish/chicken any lean protein with another glass of water, sip through it the entire time, not only at the END of your meal! (7 down - 1 more left!)

Time for Bed! - Herbal Tea (HOT) will helps you sleep and calms your body down (last cup for the day!) take it in and you are done!

Congratulations! You just started cleansing your body and hydrating it, within just 1 week, you can see the difference on your skin! your body and your overall! Water is free and very important part of everyone's diet!

Thanks all! Let's work together! Add me as your friend! Would love to have someone to motivate and exchange ideas/recipes etc!!!

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's great that you took the time to write this out to help other MFPers <3

But it's a myth that you need to drink a lot of water to maximize weight loss. When most people want to lose weight, they really want to lose fat. Water weight comes and goes and is noise in one's scale weight.

Note: If drinking lots of liquids helps one feel full and better adhere to one's calorie goal, great! But it's really not necessary to lose fat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't stop or slow if you don't eat 5x a day. It may have other effects, but meal timing really is about personal preference in most cases.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Maria,

I get that you mean well, but...

It's fine if these things work for you, and even if you believe them, but they are myths.

Drinking more water keeps you hydrated but has nothing directly to do with weight loss.

You don't need to detox your body because it does it all by itself.

Meal timing and frequency have zilch to do with weight loss.

No tea or food has magic properties in them when it comes to weight loss. The only magic in anything is the magic we give it.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep. I don't eat many meals per day. I believe in giving my body some rest time from constantly digesting food...
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I truly believe you meant well and this comes from my heart....

This is a bunch of myths. The only thing you need to achieve weight loss is a calorie deficit. The means by which you achieve that is individual. Everyone is different. 5 meals a day might work for you but has zero relevance to metabolism. Metabolism is an ongoing thing, it doesn't slow down just because you eat one meal a day nor does it increase from 10. You're meal timing is personal preference. What meal frequency you can adhere and be satiated with is ultimately important for maintaining a calorie deficit but has no bearing on the rate of loss or metabolism.

As another poster said, it's wonderful you've found something that works for you and absolutely keep it up if it makes you haply but you're spreading a bunch of myths around that is sure to keep the continued confusion going on weight loss.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I truly believe you meant well and this comes from my heart....

This is a bunch of myths. The only thing you need to achieve weight loss is a calorie deficit. The means by which you achieve that is individual. Everyone is different. 5 meals a day might work for you but has zero relevance to metabolism. Metabolism is an ongoing thing, it doesn't slow down just because you eat one meal a day nor does it increase from 10. You're meal timing is personal preference. What meal frequency you can adhere and be satiated with is ultimately important for maintaining a calorie deficit but has no bearing on the rate of loss or metabolism.

As another poster said, it's wonderful you've found something that works for you and absolutely keep it up if it makes you haply but you're spreading a bunch of myths around that is sure to keep the continued confusion going on weight loss.

This. A+

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have a really good tip on drinking more water.

Drink more water.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

But it's a myth that you need to drink a lot of water to maximize weight loss. When most people want to lose weight, they really want to lose fat. Water weight comes and goes and is noise in one's scale weight.

Note: If drinking lots of liquids helps one feel full and better adhere to one's calorie goal, great! But it's really not necessary to lose fat.

Thank you for your comment, I take all feedbacks good/bad constructive. However, water consume has been shown and in many studies proof that contributes to weight loss and not only with calories intake but using it to burn these calories....

Thermoregulation[edit]

One study found that drinking 500 ml of water increased metabolic rate by 30% after 30-40 min.

Stookey JD, Constant F, Popkin BM, Gardner CD (November 2008). "Drinking water is associated with weight loss in overweight dieting women independent of diet and activity". Obesity 16 (11): 2481–8

There are several others studies that proves this. However, I am simply sharing what I learned from thorough studies and off experience. I don't think drinking water and weight loss relevance is a myth in anyway.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Maria,

Your link did not come through. Maybe try again.

• CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I personally do better with two larger meals and a snack. I don't feel deprived when I feel "full". And I drink water in sips throughout the day. I can't sit down a drink a full glass of water unless I am working out and sweating.

With that being said, I do find water to be a good boredom replacement.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole having to force yourself to drink water as though it's an acquired taste like beer. It's no big deal to drink water. I never hated it to begin with. Not sure what's there to hate.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    my water has to be cold though. warm water with lemon doesn't sound good to me.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Drink water when your thirsty, that's your body telling you its time to hydrate. As far as weight loss. It might help a tad little bit, but nothing significant.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Here's the best plan:

(1) drink when you're thirsty.

(2) drink until you're no longer thirsty.

(3) don't force drink when you're not thirsty to meet some bullsh%t quota of water.

• Krueger92
    Options
    Krueger92 wrote: »
    Drink water when your thirsty, that's your body telling you its time to hydrate. As far as weight loss. It might help a tad little bit, but nothing significant.

^^^this

lol...I got flagged as "spam" for saying "this"...gotta love MFP

haha you just gotta love it
  • Krueger92
    Options

^^^this

lol...I got flagged as "spam" for saying "this"...gotta love MFP

haha you just gotta love it

it's amusing on a boring Saturday night...lol

I agree with you on that lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you never drink water it is great to try to drink more. It doesn't have calories and is good for your system. I wouldn't stress about getting exactly 8 cups of water every day though.
    I drink water when I wake up because I am thirsty. Warm water is gross to me though. It has to be cold for me so I keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator.
    I drink water with meals. Other than that I drink water or unsweetened tea as I am thirsty throughout the day.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Thank you for your comment, I take all feedbacks good/bad constructive. However, water consume has been shown and in many studies proof that contributes to weight loss and not only with calories intake but using it to burn these calories....

Thermoregulation[edit]

One study found that drinking 500 ml of water increased metabolic rate by 30% after 30-40 min.

Stookey JD, Constant F, Popkin BM, Gardner CD (November 2008). "Drinking water is associated with weight loss in overweight dieting women independent of diet and activity". Obesity 16 (11): 2481–8

There are several others studies that proves this. However, I am simply sharing what I learned from thorough studies and off experience. I don't think drinking water and weight loss relevance is a myth in anyway.
    I found your post quite interesting. Many people have set things they believe, and are not open to other than those, so do not take it personally. I have lost 130lbs and used many of your tips!
    I posted that spinach helps release fat ( posted in science daily, a scientific journal) and I was attacked with all kinds of rude remarks. Dont worry about it. Congrats on the weight loss!!!

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Thermoregulation[edit]

But correlation does not equal causation.

Just because I ate ice cream every day and lost 53 lbs in 9 months doesn't mean ice cream must increase metabolic rate or lead to weight loss, does it?

...and I did almost eat ice cream as a snack every night in that time period.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Here's the best plan:

(1) drink when you're thirsty.

(2) drink until you're no longer thirsty.

(3) don't force drink when you're not thirsty to meet some bullsh%t quota of water.

This!