how many cals should you eat on your cheat day?

Options
irelandpringles
irelandpringles Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
how many cals should you eat on your cheat day?

Replies

• kristishrider
    Options
    I dnt have cheat days..... I did look at the candy the other day tho. If I really want something I eat it and keep it in my calorie limit
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I dnt have cheat days..... I did look at the candy the other day tho. If I really want something I eat it and keep it in my calorie limit

Same. If I have an unexpected food event and end up with more calories, I log it and move on, but why would I intentionally cheat myself?

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, you are cheating.
    Just log every crumb.
    Cheers, h.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What ever I want and don't give it another. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • irelandpringles
    irelandpringles Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Same. If I have an unexpected food event and end up with more calories, I log it and move on, but why would I intentionally cheat myself?

It's not intentionally cheating myself it's a day where I allow myself to eat something that I didn't allow myself to have during the week or to go out for a meal
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think having a cheat day makes sense because it means you can't eat as much on other days if you are going to accomplish your goals.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What I try to do is eat a couple hundred less cals per day during the week (My daily goal is 1500), then on the weekend where I may want to go out or something I have more cals to work with. That way I still pretty close to my weekly goal calorie wise.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What ever I want and don't give it another. Tomorrow is a new day.

Dang phone. Impossible to edit. What ever I want and don't give it another thought is what I meant. Tomorrow is a new day
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. If I end up eating extra one day I make sure that week's overall is still in my calories goal. This approach kept me losing weight through the December rush of celebratory eating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When I'm in weight loss mode I try to keep my occasional cheat days within my maintenance calories. It's really up to you how you handle them, just be aware that if your weight-loss starts to slow down or stall then your cheats are probably going to have to be cut back.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I eat food I enjoy to eat every day. If I need to eat at maintenance for whatever reason then I do so while eating hte same way I've always eaten.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Cheat Days are a VeryBadIdea.

No -- really.

Slippery slope to binge eating.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options

No -- really.

Well I guess that depends what people mean by a cheat day - sure, if they mean stuff themself silly for 24 hours once a week, that could be a binge eating issue.

If they mean they eat 100 or so less on weekdays so they can have a planned treat or restaurant meal or decadent desert on the weekend and can still fit within weekly allowance - no, not a slippery slope to anything.
  • Bexyf
    Bexyf Posts: 42 Member
    Options

No -- really.

Well I guess that depends what people mean by a cheat day - sure, if they mean stuff themself silly for 24 hours once a week, that could be a binge eating issue.

If they mean they eat 100 or so less on weekdays so they can have a planned treat or restaurant meal or decadent desert on the weekend and can still fit within weekly allowance - no, not a slippery slope to anything.

Well previously before I got pregnant I lost 75lbs having cheat days....don't think I slipped anywhere!
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    what's a cheat day?
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This question is basically entirely impossible to answer because it depends entirely on your concept of a cheat day and how it fits in with your goals. Psychological break from eating a boring menu, is it a carbohydrate refeed when carb cycling, is it just that it's the weekend and you like to be social and go out for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

The only thing I would suggest though (and agree with some posters above) is be careful about cheat day not becoming binge day. The last thing you want is one day of the week that you look forward to, put on a pedestal, and then on the day have a GIANTSENSEOFURGENCYANDNEEDTOEATALLTHETHINGSBECAUSEITISYOURONEDAY, and then afterwards feel guilty. Nobody needs to feel that way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I keep my weekly calories within my target defecit ...hence yesterday when I was over by 300 means nothing because I'm still under my weekly goal by 600

No cheats

Just logging and attention
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yesterday I had a "true saturday" which for me means some snacks/sweets and homemade pizza. I estimate I ended about 2500 for that, compared my normal 1700. There was a time when sweets, snacks and soft drinks only was allowed once a week in limited portions.. I try to bring that back.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This question is basically entirely impossible to answer because it depends entirely on your concept of a cheat day and how it fits in with your goals. Psychological break from eating a boring menu, is it a carbohydrate refeed when carb cycling, is it just that it's the weekend and you like to be social and go out for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

The only thing I would suggest though (and agree with some posters above) is be careful about cheat day not becoming binge day. The last thing you want is one day of the week that you look forward to, put on a pedestal, and then on the day have a GIANTSENSEOFURGENCYANDNEEDTOEATALLTHETHINGSBECAUSEITISYOURONEDAY, and then afterwards feel guilty. Nobody needs to feel that way.

THIS. There are good reasons for a "cheat" day, which I wouldn't even call it when it's just about going to a restaurant and being social with others. You probably aren't going to stay home eating your weight loss food (whatever it may be) for the rest of your life, so you might as well start learning sensible food-related socializing right now.

I also agree with posters talking about weekly calories instead of daily. There will be fluctuations, because life. It's the weekly amount that matters. Of course, fasting and being miserable all week just so you can have a huge binge isn't healthy. I mean the posters that say they eat maybe 100cals/day less during the week, so they have the 500 extra calories to work with during the weekend if they go out etc.

Related to the issue of weekly vs. daily calories, I used to previously use a calorie tracking site that automatically divided all exercise calories by 7, for every day of that week. I think it was a smart system and I would still use it if there weren't other, really annoying parts to it (like not being able to add foods if something wasn't in the database).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

It's not intentionally cheating myself it's a day where I allow myself to eat something that I didn't allow myself to have during the week or to go out for a meal

But you can still do that during the week, fit it into your calories, and lose weight. Cheating/cheat days gives a negative connotation to certain foods.