Tylenol weight gain

Options
I had a bad headache yesterday and took 4 Tylenol over the course of the day and gained 2.6 pounds this morning. Does Tylenol cause you to retain fluid?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    All kinds of things or events retain body fluid. My body weight scale fluctuates like that every day.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate a lot over the course of a day. that's why weighing yourself every day can be disconcerting. I really wouldn't worry about it, as long as the Tylenol was the only major different factor in what you consumed that day.
  • bburge286
    bburge286 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I know salt, change of activity, weight lifting, etc can all lead to water retention and weight gain. I was curious if anyone specifically has noticed a correlation with Tylenol and gain the next day. Just curious.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your weight will cycle up and down with or without the Acetaminophen - it's just a normal part of being ... well ... being alive.

Mine will be up and down as much as 6 pounds in a day.
  • bburge286
    Options
    I totally know about body fluctuations. It would drive me crazy to weigh throughout the day. I weigh the same time every morning to keep me on track. I am not concerned about the gain, but wondering because I usually take Advil and I KNOW I will gain the next day after taking it so many times so I don't weigh. I don't know the same thing about Tylenol since I never take it. Hmmm...ok, will just watch it the next time I take it and see. Thank you.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yes. NSAIDs (which Tylenol is) have been shown to cause sodium and water retention. I doubt one dose is significant enough though. It is usually more so if you take them daily.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Yes. NSAIDs (which Tylenol is) have been shown to cause sodium and water retention. I doubt one dose is significant enough though. It is usually more so if you take them daily.

Tylenol isn't an NSAID.
  • bburge286
    Options
    Tylenol actually is not a NSAID. It is not anti-inflammatory. That is why I am curious. I believe the anti-inflammatory in Advil caused bloat and is why I am curious about Tylenol not being one. It's ok, I will make it as a daily fluctuation and watch to see if I have a similar fluctuation next time I take Tylenol. Thank you, everyone.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Tylenol isn't an NSAID.

You are absolutely right! sorry!

Lol this is why I need to try not to answer questions after taking ambien and holding down a conversation with someone in the room. We were discussing naproxen and the wires of the two conversations got crossed lol.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Tylenol isn't an NSAID.

Lol this is why I need to try not to answer questions after taking ambien and holding down a conversation with someone in the room. We were discussing naproxen and the wires of the two conversations got crossed lol.

Ambien is a killer. I had to take it temporarily, I started sleep walking! :s And sleep eating.
  • elphie754
    Options

Tylenol isn't an NSAID.

Ambien is a killer. I had to take it temporarily, I started sleep walking! :s And sleep eating.

Luckily it doesn't really put me too out of it. Then again I only take it if I've been up for 2 nights straight. I also only take half. However it kills my multitasking ability.