Matcha?

Options
BunkyBumBum
BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
I accidentally bought Matcha not really realizing what it was (I envisioned instant green tea, like instant coffee). It's not too terrible as hot tea and I love green tea, but I have a hard time looking at this stuff in liquid form. I don't mind the flavor of it, it's just that it looks like a cup full of algae.

Can anyone recommend some recipes that they have tried (I can google a million but I'd be picking at random)? I love to cook and bake, surely there's a more palatable way to eat this stuff so I don't waste the $20 I spent on a bag of it.

Replies

• SarassicPark
    SarassicPark Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't know of any recipes, but matcha can be kind of strange at first. I drink it constantly now. I've found matcha pocky, matcha kit kats, etc... it's good for you!

Maybe not in the two forms I mentioned though...
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Green tea ice cream is delicious. Not really low fat, because of the cream. But matcha works well with dairy. You might look for smoothies. I remember adding it to a Weight Watchers vanilla instant smoothie mix once. It was delicious. I don't remember how much the recipe called for. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Matcha rice. I add a teaspoon when I'm cooking my rice and it Adds a nice flavour. You can also cook pretty much any sweet with matcha to make it green tea flavoured.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes! Matcha ice cream is amazing. Matcha cheesecake is another delicious option. I've also made matcha shortbread cookies, I add it to my smoothies, matcha frosting for cupcakes, matcha madeleines...

You could also try (if you haven't already) making a matcha latte, instead of just straight hot matcha.

We order our matcha online from a Japanese tea farm called Hibiki-An. They have an awesome section on their site that has a bunch of recipes that use their teas. All the ones I've tried have been delicious, especially the dorayaki (pancake sandwiches).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I mix it in a berry smoothie with lemon juice.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Steam up some milk and make a latte ! its amazing. I also mix it into yogurt (fresh or frozen!) - so good - its amazing for digestion….
  • SarassicPark
    SarassicPark Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a matcha latte mix from Trader Joes. So good! Highly recommended. <3
  • AmberRamos123
    AmberRamos123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Agree with the latte. Starbucks sells a Green Tea Latte that is actually Matcha. Yummo
  • Tequilaqt
    Options
    I use it in greek yogurt ALL the time! and then when I want to drink it. steamed milk and matcha to make a latte is the most palatable to me.
  • lexiu
    lexiu Posts: 2
    Options
    I use my Matcha powder in hot apple juice for a morning or evening drink sometimes. Tastes great.
  • fruitysky
    fruitysky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have made both of these recipes before and they ROCK. I love, love, LOOOOOVE matcha.
    Matcha ice cream and matcha frosting are both awesome as well.

http://dessertswithbenefits.com/healthy-matcha-green-tea-fudge-protein-bars/

http://dessertswithbenefits.com/sweet-matcha-almond-shortbread-cookie-dough/
  • mystic81
    mystic81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a potluck - make Matcha Lemon Cupcakes. Use a white cake mix, make as directed on box, add 2 tbsp matcha and 1 tbsp grated lemon peel. And add a tsp or two to the frosting as well. Delicious!

I've also poached fish in matcha, and it's really good mixes with spices as a rub for your meats, too!

Mix with almond coconut milk for a low-fat latte. Tastes super decadent, and very low cal!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been searching all over for an inexpensive bag of that stuff (the Asian shops I visit want any ten bucks for a small package of it).

It's good added to smoothies and as one member added, it's great in ice cream. I originally wanted it for a homemade green tea recipe and for baking a green matcha cake roll. The last one probably isn't the healthiest reason, but it's something I've been dying to try.
  • BunkyBumBum
    Options
    So, I'm not going to lie - I drink my coffee black and I don't know how to make a latte. I sometimes order them at coffee shops, so it's not like I don't sometimes enjoy them, but I have never made one myself and I have no idea how much milk to put in or what to do to the milk to make it a latte. I can't digest plain milk so I'd be using almond milk, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Some of these recipes sound amazing - I'll have to make them when I can give some away though, otherwise I'll spend all my daily calories on sweets!

Thanks!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    lexiu wrote: »
    I use my Matcha powder in hot apple juice for a morning or evening drink sometimes. Tastes great.

Oh, interesting. I might try that! :-)

• BinaryPulsar
    Options
    So, I'm not going to lie - I drink my coffee black and I don't know how to make a latte. I sometimes order them at coffee shops, so it's not like I don't sometimes enjoy them, but I have never made one myself and I have no idea how much milk to put in or what to do to the milk to make it a latte. I can't digest plain milk so I'd be using almond milk, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Some of these recipes sound amazing - I'll have to make them when I can give some away though, otherwise I'll spend all my daily calories on sweets!

Thanks!

I think an easy way to make a latte is just to heat up milk in a small pot. Mix the matcha up with a little hot water and then add that to the milk. Just use as much milk as you want. Sweeten.

• dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Matcha protein shake, matcha latte, matcha cake, sprinkle it on some ice cream... I lived in Japan for awhile and its extremely common in any type of dessert. Nom nom.
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tequilaqt wrote: »
    I use it in greek yogurt ALL the time! and then when I want to drink it. steamed milk and matcha to make a latte is the most palatable to me.

This is a great idea! Can't believe I never thought to put it in my yogurt :) definitely trying this tomorrow.
  • BunkyBumBum
    Options

Thanks!

I think an easy way to make a latte is just to heat up milk in a small pot. Mix the matcha up with a little hot water and then add that to the milk. Just use as much milk as you want. Sweeten.

I'm going to try it like that, hopefully it won't look like liquified algae, I'm having a hard time getting over the look of it, even though it tastes fine!

• alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Another Matcha icecream recipe. (I had never heard of Matcha until 10 mins ago :o )

Warning: Photos may induce drooling

http://www.radiantrachels.com/raw-vegan-matcha-ice-cream-sandwiches/