This year I'm getting my own gym equipment.

Options
sphinxdust
sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've narrowed down what I use at the gym for real results and decided that this year instead of paying for another fee, I'll buy the exact weight equipment to use for many years at home, and it will easily surpass the typical hotel fitness center. Anybody else already do this and stay serious with their workouts?

Replies

• mandyedwards101
    mandyedwards101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use kettle bell's at home - and I have a set of dumbbells. If you have a set routine you are more likely to finish the full circuit but get some good pumping tunes on while you're working g out! Keeps the momentum and motivation going.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i wish i had the space for it
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've cobbled together my home gym over the past year. I go to the gym once a week for weights and once for running for a change of scenery. The rest of my workouts are at home. I have a bench, squat stand, bar, dumbbell handles, and plates. Plus sawhorses that I use with my squat stand and then they double as dip bars. Oh, and a treadmill and pull up bar.

I got the squat stand off Craigslist and made the pull up bar myself (ratchet straps thrown over a ceiling beam and then a pipe threaded through) and got the bench and a few plates from an acquaintance. Other than the treadmill everything else is from Amazon.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This^
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have, and yes I did.

I have a full cage, oly bar, trap bar, ez bar, plates, adjustable bench, pull up bar, dip station, and a set of dumbbells. I also have a stationary bike for warming up before lifting and cardio workouts. My gym is never crowded, and it's never closed.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    And you don't have to rerack things if yoi don't want to.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have a Sole Treadmill and several sets of weights. Those with fitness DVD's are just perfect to keep it interesting and provide a great workout. B)o:)
  • Neous
    Neous Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm serious with my workout but my home gym is not used to its fullest
    I have a full package from Ironmaster.com i.e. bench weight and all the accessories.
    i don't use it all because i'm back doing the Beachbody programs namely P90x3, Insanity Max 30 and T25 soon will be added Body Beast. and they don't require much for equipment.

i also have a Keiser M3 plus for spinning
    I need to add an elliptical for my wife any suggestion will be appreciated
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate the gym even though my PT is awesome. We have a home gym as well as our own yoga mats, light hand weights, etc. Works great.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it's awesome. I've never been to a gym and don't think I'd work out if I didn't have one at home. I don't like to share. Don't have to worry about waiting for people to get off the equipment, or worry about them waiting for me...and I don't have to re-rack my weights. And I can listen to my music as loud as I want.

We have: two ellipticals, a recumbent bike, power cage, smith machine, oly bar, two ez bars, curl bar, all kinds of plates, Dumbbells up to 70lbs, ab bench, leg bench, two regular benches, power tower, a universal ( cable machine), a speed bag and a punching bag. I only bought an elliptical and one bench. The cage was my Christmas gift. The rest came from my boyfriend's brother's house. He was down sizing to a condo...score!
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to go to our local high school wt room but the school made some changes and we could not use it anymore. I decided to get my own equipment. I lifted with a friend, so we did this together. It took about 6 months of searching craigslist, but for 2 grand we have a squat rack, full set of dumbbells (8-85) with racks, 700 lbs in olympic wts, several bars, cable machine, calf machine, mirrors, floor mats, bench, and a good stereo system. We use his basement and really only need about a 10x20 area. Looking for a pec deck, but waiting for a good deal.
  • stacey_rayner
    stacey_rayner Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This^

Me too. But I'm considering getting my own set of kettle bells to start off with and some more dumb bells/weights. And maybe a medicine ball. Cos it all costs money, so want to spend up wisely.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Our goal is to set one up this year .... we have the space for it, but want to do it frugally. Time is tight in our lives, and the closest gym is not close (lol) .... hoping this will help!
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    A treadmill was the best purchase I've ever made.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love my home gym! I have a Treadclimber, a stationary bike, heavy bag, TV/DVD player, step, stability ball, light weights, an adjustable kettlebell and a resistance band. I am on my 17th consecutive day of working out, and I haven't done the same thing twice. It is so convenient to run downstairs to work out after the kids are in bed. Next on my pre-owned wish list is either a weight bench and heavy weights or a weight machine...
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Lots of people warned me not to waste money on exercise equipment for my home. They said I would never use it. This summer, I got a great deal buying a friend's treadmill. We got it home and I use it all the time!!! What I love about it is not having to set aside large chunks of time for exercise. I might do half a mile here, a full mile there, etc. By the end of the day, I've gotten movement in. We're now looking at a Bowflex on Craigslist and I feel I'll use it the same way. A few minutes here and there add up over time. It works for my lifestyle anyway...
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I work for the YMCA, have a free membership, and STILL prefer to workout at home! I have everything I need right here....so much nicer and much more convenient.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't much like the gym but I LOVE spin classes, but I'm not always able to make them so my plan is to buy a spin bike and do it at home :) now that I know I would do every day!
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We have a home gym that my wife uses. I prefer to go to the gym myself. IF you are going to set up a home gym buy quality equipment from a fitness products store not a sporting goods store
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree with buying quality equipment, but you don't have to be the one paying the full price. Just do a lot of research on whats good. Then keep checking craigslist or local ads. I paid less than 50 cents per pound for all my dumbbells and olympic wts. The cable machine I purchased sold new for $1800 and I picked it up for $300. Also keep in mind that some day you will sell and having good equipment will fetch a better price.