Everytime I start eating healthy I get really bad headaches

Options
Hi there,
Every time I start a new diet/healthy lifestyle, I get really bad migraines that end up making me sick and then discouraging me from wanting to continue. I thought it may be not eating enough food, but I certainly try to fill up as much as possible. Or maybe its withdrawls from bad, fatty foods? Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you considering a diet/healthy lifestyle? Elaborate please.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    ^Yep, that kind of info would be helpful. When you eat "healthy" do you cut out soda, or any other kind of caffeinated beverages?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not so healthy after all.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'd say headaches caused by caffeine withdrawal or from not enough food. Also make sure drinking enough water. Could be from stress from starting new "diet".
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Since you don't give a lot of info to help. Why not take it as a sign that you might be making some unreasonable and drastic changes that aren't necessary.

When you could find a reasonable calorie deficit, log your food accurately and honestly, find an activity you enjoy.. and not make yourself so miserable.

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If "getting healthy" means stopping the coffee or caffeinated soda cold turkey, I can suggest one issue...
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a lot of sugar previously? My diet was really really high in sugar and the first week was a little rough for me, but it all evened out.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I go from eating stupid amounts of desserts/candy to consuming them in moderation. Goes away after a couple days. Hang in there.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    cschof18 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Every time I start a new diet/healthy lifestyle, I get really bad migraines that end up making me sick and then discouraging me from wanting to continue. I thought it may be not eating enough food, but I certainly try to fill up as much as possible. Or maybe its withdrawls from bad, fatty foods? Anyone else experience this?

What changes did you make?
    You might just have to let your body adjust for a couple of weeks or reduce amounts of certain foods/drinks more gradually instead of cutting them out all at once.
    If you are starting to eat or drink products with artificial sweeteners that might be a cause of your headaches. I get migraines from those. If I eat or drink things with regular sugar, honey, or naturally low sugar then I feel fine.
  • KJH_71
    KJH_71 Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Whenever I cut out processed sugar and caffeine I also get headaches. It usually is worst the first week.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    Whenever I cut out processed sugar and caffeine I also get headaches. It usually is worst the first week.

In this case, it's the caffeine that's doing it. Caffeine is addictive and when you cut it out cold turkey, it often leads to headaches.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cschof18 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Like others have said, the most likely culprits are caffeine withdrawal, eating too little, or getting dehydrated from not drinking enough fluids. Try making the changes one at a time instead of diving headfirst into the deep end.

• G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Why would one stop ingesting caffeine? That's not healthy!!! Caffeine is the drug of choice for most folks in the USA and elsewhere.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    MegBMin wrote: »
    Did you eat a lot of sugar previously? My diet was really really high in sugar and the first week was a little rough for me, but it all evened out.

Me too. It took me about 3 weeks to not have headaches and body aches when I cut back on sugar.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When I first stopped drinking caffeinated beverages, I had a minor bumper bender in my car because I was distracted and a little woozie. It took a bit (don't remember how long) for the stuff to get out of my system. Now I drink regular coffee about once or twice a week and only in the morning.

It used to be harder to find decaf or non-caf drinks.

Adding enough water and not getting too hungry (i.e., not skipping meals, for me) are also key.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

In this case, it's the caffeine that's doing it. Caffeine is addictive and when you cut it out cold turkey, it often leads to headaches.
    I agree caffeine withdrawal causes headaches, but where did the OP say anything about caffeine? Oh, by "this case" you meant the person cutting out sugar and caffeine?

I think that going from a high calorie diet to a lower one also causes many people headaches for a few weeks. It goes away. Or there might be food allergies going on.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I agree caffeine withdrawal causes headaches, but where did the OP say anything about caffeine? Oh, by "this case" you meant the person cutting out sugar and caffeine?

I think that going from a high calorie diet to a lower one also causes many people headaches for a few weeks. It goes away. Or there might be food allergies going on.

Since the OP didn't give much information, posters are speculating as to possible causes. Caffeine withdrawal is the most common (since so many go "healthy" by cutting out soda which is often caffeinated) so, in the absence of more information, that is a highly likely cause. You are right that a significant drop in calories can cause headaches, as can dehydration if the OP hasn't been drinking enough fluids.

• Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Probably sugar withdrawal. It will pass
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Any excuse to give up, right?

Stick with it. They'll go away. I promise.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options

By "this case" I was referring to the poster who said they get headaches when they cut out caffeine and "processed sugars." All sugars are processed in some way unless you're getting them straight from the fruit or chewing sugar cane and sugar has not been proven to be physically addictive in the way that caffeine is.